Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 D4d With 1 Cylinder Not Working

Hans de Keijzer

Dear all,

last friday my Avensis 2.0 D4D started vibrating badly, making lots of noise and a lot of black smoke coming out of the exhaust. 3 different garages have so far not been able to pinpoint the problem, only to find out cylinder 3 is not working. Computer readout seems to tell all is OK, yet running the engine even for 5 sec. tells a different story ;)

About two weeks ago after a 500 km drive on typical Polish roads (lots of trucks and single lane roads, so very diverse driving; deep acceleration upon overtaking, driving 110 kmh and slowly behind the next truck) I noticed at a traffic light the car was shaking more than normally, but only for a few seconds. Driving seemed ok. This shaking only happened just after stopping for the light and disappeared after 2-3 seconds. In the rest of the weekend it behaved normal again so I paid no further attention.

Now last week I drove again some 800 km under similar conditions and didn't notice anything strange. Then friday the engine started perfectly but after 200m of driving it started making a bad rattling noise (like the old diesels but a few times worse), the engine was shaking a lot and a thick black cloud came from the exhaust.

The 3rd garage suspects the dieselpump, which is quite strange to me. I don't see how a faulty dieselpump could cause 3 cylinders to work fine and 1 to not function. So I started suspecting the injectors, but maybe I'm completely wrong.

Does any of you have an idea what could be the problem or once experienced the same problem?

I hope to hear :)

regards and thanks in advance!

Hans

Given what little I know about engines, I don't see how it could be the pump since D4D's are common rail. More likely one of the injectors is slightly blocked or not spraying properly?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links