Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

87 Mr2

ytnewtruof

ok, so heres my story, bought an 87 for 630$, great running condition, just suspension problems(whole front end), had plans on getting it fixed asap, but then lost my job, so the story goes the car sat for like, ever, then after sitting i goto pick it up, drives fine for a while, then the throttle goes while my buddys driving it, i go check it out and the spring on the holder is toast, and the cable is frayed to the point where it wont reset properly, but car will drive, so i bring it back home and bla bla the story goes on, well i order the parts and i get them, cable holder cable and front struts with stabalizer links, so i go to change the cable and holder, well, i cant figure out how to change the cable, but after changing the holder, im still stuck with a high idle, with no cable attached it sits at 3000 and slowly climbs up from there, if i push on the rod that attached to the tvis i can lower the rpm, but if i push to hard it starts to sound like a belt is whining and i get small amounts of exhaust or smoke(maybe from a leak or just from the pipe itself) my biggest concern is getting the idle back down, im supposed to go a have the struts done as soon as i can drive the car, i can drive it as is but i have to turn it off all the time and thats just not good for it, i dont want to run it like that as i need to change my oil aswell, its been sitting for far to long, if theres anyone out there who has had the high idle problem, or done the repairs that im looking to do and can give me step by step instructions, or even some advice it would be greatly appreciated, i love the car and i have big big plans for it once i get back on my feet, its hard to do repairs to a car when u dont have a job, but, its hard to get a job without acess to a car

• 2 weeks later...

alright, so, after changing throttle cable and cable holder still had that high idle 3000+ rasies but wont go down) so took the car out to my moms friend who is handy with cars, did the struts and stabalizer links, all good, go to rework the throttle, refed it underneath car, simpleish, get back to the engine bay, still high idle + no controll, ****** around for a hr and half trying every differnt thing, drilled holes into engine bay to get throttle sesor off, no problems with it, decied must be something stuck in the throttle body itself, thinkin thinkin, looked at the guy n said, could it be a sock?? he looks at me like what the ubik, i said yeah i had a sock on there for my air filter and it dissapeared, i was drunk so i thoguth i took it off threw it out, well he says pull off the maf, so i do, well theres the **** sock causing all my problems, pulled it out and bang throttle dropped back into proper place and all my problems dissapeared, car runs **** great!!!!!! took it for a test drive and it revs up to 7k great, so much fun, might be running a little crazy bcuz its straight intake straight exhaust but damn, if only i had thought about the sock weeks before, could have saved a few weeks of trouble, and not caused people so much stress about it, well, thats my story, iv heard of people dropping screws into thier engines, but i had a human sock, all thats left for driveablitly is performance stuff now, well, thats after the safety!

• 2 weeks later...

so, replying to my own post again, after successfully replacing throttle cable, holder, and front struts and stablizer links, car is great, yeah, except for the fact that my turn signals arnt working, can anyone say illegal?, yeah, for some reason my highbeams still work, but nothing comes from my turns signals, no power draw nothing, after checking fuses and all the rest i realized yes, it is a wiring problem, so, it comes down to ripping apart the steering column, and starting from there, tracing the wires as i go looking for the break, arg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links