Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front End Knocking Sound

pizza boy

Have had a little knocking coming from the front for a while now. It went away for a little bit but yesterday I went over a pretty dodgy bump at about 50mph it ran across the whole lane so the whole car went over it. I just drove it now and im getting what seems to be quite a deep structural knocking sound and it occurs regularly over normal road surface..its pretty sensitive in its reaction to the road. I can feel it in the pedals a little bit almost like its from the lower part of the car. The steering and tracking is fine and it handles no probs.

any suggestions or similar experiences?

I had this and it turned out to be one of the tools from the toolkit by the spare wheel.

I hope its this simple for you.

Other than that, bush arms? A hard slam to the old weels might have caused an issue there.

Dont know how it works for MR2's but this happened to an old car of mine in the past.

I had this and it turned out to be one of the tools from the toolkit by the spare wheel.

Nar I removed the tool kit and the spare wheel and drove about a bit to make sure it wasnt them.

Other than that, bush arms?

Hmm its a possibility but the noise came...went away..then came back with a vengance. Worn bushes would surley be a consistent knock from the minute it begins?

possibly a-roll bar link pin

This is what I thought it might be. It sounds like its the roll bar. Ive been told tubbys roll bar get heavy abuse on cr@ppy uk roads as they were designed more for the super smooth A-condition Jap roads. This pin link deffo sounds like the prob as it would explain the inconsistency in the sound. It actually started properly when I got the car lowered(would this make sense?)What is this pin about tho?

hi

funny you should say that my yaris has been lowered and now has a noise like you have.

since it was lowered by toyota still waiting for them to sus what it is they have to fix. they have changed the anti-rollbar bushes.

You know I got a feeling the garage which fitted my shocks and springs bodged something up at the front..making it loose. Ive been also told it could be the topmounts but I cant imagine how it would make the sound lower down(or maybe im wrong). :unsure:

but I always thought wheel bearings made more of a droning sound upon cornering etc rather than a knock no? (my pops car had a knackered bearing on rear and it made a 'rolling' drone)

but I always thought wheel bearings made more of a droning sound upon cornering etc rather than a knock no? (my pops car had a knackered bearing on rear and it made a 'rolling' drone)

My back right wheel bearing was shot when i brought my mr2....the previous owner had agreed to foot the bill but that was most definitly a thump, thump, thump when driving...got faster as I did and that was going in a straight line.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

is it s sorta creaky gronk sound when the sus moves? cos mine does it, have a feeling its the "strut brace" under the front bonnet, only started doing it when i jacked the corner up to take the front wheel off...... think it moves slightly and creaks.....

Just another thought to add to the collection :D

Check the top mounts get a socket set and make sure they arent loose...

If this doesnt cure it its new top mount time....the rubber/metal bushes are dead

Check the top mounts get a socket set and make sure they arent loose...

If this doesnt cure it its new top mount time....the rubber/metal bushes are dead

Looks like your right about that too. Im gonna get the TRD topmounts as they retail for the same price but are better for my needs. I have been told that it wasnt knocking b4 as the old spring were bedded into the worn topmount bush. The new ones came along and this is what caused the clunking(not bedding therefore more clearance= clunks). I think the anti-roll bar will need looking at just in case.

Thx very much 4 ur help all :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links