Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is This Price Ok For New Yaris?

jedimistress

£7,400 for a new 5 door Yaris, standard colour, 1.0l, with no options. So basic car. No extras thrown in like mats.

I am wondering if this is a good price to pay? I am getting £2,700 off list price due to scrappage but can't help wondering if the dealer could budge a little further, though has insisted he can't?

This is my first time buying a new car so would appreciate any pointers. Am not too enthused as my 20 year old toyota is stoll going really strong.

It seems like a fair price considering your current car is probably worth next to nothing, cheapest at a quick scoot of the net comes up with 8,865. As you allready enjoy running a 20 year old car why go new? I was driving a 14 year old car before getting the 1.0l phase one yaris i currently own and loved it because it was so reliable unlike others from the same manufacturer (rover). I went for Toyota for reliability and fuel consumption , which has been good averaging 45mpg mostly town work. The only downside for these town cars is they are not that good on motorways and struggle when fully loaded, after all 67-69bhp is not that good although better than the competition.

For me if i was minted and had 7k to spend on a car i would look at similar to what you have now second hand and get a good civic with less than 50k on the clock and it should see you well for 5 or 6 years, the scrappage allowance is good if you are dead set on the cheapest car but otherwise i dont have much faith in the way it has been implemented and the inflated prices dealers spout.

Its a hard choice but for me i would not buy new any time of the day, try selling your new car after day 1 for the same you bought it for? Even after scrappage allowance. They are nice cars but not the best regarding refinement, the new ones may be better but still the soundproofing in your 20 year old corrola will probably be better. The base models if mine is anything to go by are just that, plastic door trims your pet dog slides against when climbing the windows .. lol so lame. The tinny sound when shutting doors, worst of all if you have three doors when letting passengers out and returning the seat to the previous position the seat position will not pass glass back mode without adjustment ie wont go back to the position originaly set :(

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am wondering myself, that if I have been convinced to spend £7,000 on the Yaris, perhaps I should go for somthing better, only a few years old, or even spend less on a second hand yaris. It's a real dilemma.

Yes, sounds like a good deal.

Have a look at this site Deal Drivers

I used these as a reference price when my wife bought her new Yaris in July.

Thanks for that link. I am really pleased to say I beat the sites price by £16 as I managed to go to another dealer today and get tax thrown in for a year. I wasn't entirely happy with my original salesman as he always seemed to be avoiding me when I came in to the salesroom, and I'm sure I heard him laughing at me with his friend last time we spoke on the phone!!

I signed on the dotted line and paid my deposit. Fortunately there is a twelve week delivery time. I don't want the car yet as this would mean saying goodbye to my trustee Corolla.....:-( I've got a lump in my throat already.

if the price youve been offered is for a 1.0 tr 5 door then its good..i traded mine in with the scrappage deal and got a eclipse metallic black 5 door 1.0 yaris tr for 7700 pounds.the rrp was over 11k so i got a really good deal when i first shopped around i was getting offered a t2 red model for roughlly the same price .

its a brilliant car to drive and ive saved loads of money compared to the old astra i traded in for it,in my old car itd cost me 20 pounds a week to goto work now its costing me about 20 pounds a month thats a big saving !!!

also dont worry about the motorway comments it can hold its own on the motorway and ive made a fair few trips with it on the motorway and it doesnt feel slow or sluggish and dont worry about people critising its top speed after all the law says you can only go 70 on the motorway whats the point in buying a car than do 140 mph and 0-60 in 4 seconds when if you did do those types off speeds on the motorway youd lose your liscence.

so if youve got the 7400 price its a tr ,5 door then id go for it ,if its for a t2 then id forget it and go elsewere also dont take the price of the first dealer you speak to i played 3 off against each other to get the price i got and another thing to remember is the yaris has gone up in price in the last month or two and the news said the scrappage deals would be ending soon as most of the moneys gone now so id hurry up before the scheme stops.

tax thrown in for a year?you get road tax with new cars anyway you pay for it as part of the final payment you cant opt out and they wont discount it as its part of the final price.and the road tax is only 35 pounds a year anyway so even if they did it wouldnt be a great discount ..

:(

I did not realise the tax was incuded in the price...I'm a novice and thought I was getting a slightly better deal. The original dealer should have mentioned that!! Yes it only £35, but that is a few hours in the office for me.

It is only a T2. Sounds like you got a good deal. I did not consider the TR as many of the upgrades to TR from T2 are not available on the 1.0 version, but the aircon probably would have been a bonus.

Am not too enthused as my 20 year old toyota is stoll going really strong.

With a quote like that I can't see why you'd want to get rid of your corolla. It is very true that they don't build 'em like they used to. Your corolla probably had another 20 years in it.

I hate this scrappage scheme thing. At least if it was part ex'd then somebody else could keep it on the road and these motors wouldn't disappear forever. As it happens, second hand prices are going up (due to less second hand stock available), all cars on the road are ugly new carbon copies of each other and good old cars in great working order are resigned to the scrapyard in the sky. All of this under the nonsensical banner of saving the planet. A complete and utter joke.

I hate this scrappage scheme thing. At least if it was part ex'd then somebody else could keep it on the road and these motors wouldn't disappear forever. As it happens, second hand prices are going up (due to less second hand stock available), all cars on the road are ugly new carbon copies of each other and good old cars in great working order are resigned to the scrapyard in the sky. All of this under the nonsensical banner of saving the planet. A complete and utter joke.

Hope you mind me adding to this here's my opinion on the scrappage deal

I was forced to get rid of my 10 year old Ford Ka due to the fact that it had become rusty and needed a fair bit of work doing to it, I looked at the scrappage scheme as an option but decided against it for a number of reasons, firstly the engine was fine and it had only 57000 on the clock and I was unhappy at the thought of it been scrapped when with a bit of work someone could get another few years out of it, secondly fine the government and the car dealer give you at least £2000 but then you are handing back to the government a large chunk of money in VAT thus I was left feeling that I was been given it in one hand and having it taken away with the other, my budget meant that I would be severly limited to what I could afford to buy, depreciation the car would be worth far less that what I bought it for within a year.

At the finish I went to a toyota dealership saw the car I wanted a 1.0ltre Yaris T3 register August 2005 with 17200 on the clock (which in terms of BHP is more powerful than a Ka) and after haggling with them I was offered £800 for my Ka more than double what it was worth.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links