Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Starlet Parts

reggau

I've a Toyota Starlet of 1990's which I needed to service as it couldn't start. During the service it was noticed that the thermostatic valve(Part No: 1772811090) was damaged and a new one was required. I went to local dealer and was informed that parts where no longer manufactured. I've contacted the Toyota Headquarters and I was informed that Toyota will no longer support Toyota cars after 10 years. I was very disappointed as I was assured when I bought it that parts will always be available. I have a car of another make that is over 21 years of age and I never had such problems with finding parts. I wasn't even assured by Toyota that at least will do there best to find this part. Or at least suggest an option on what I can do to put this car back on the road.

Due to this, the car has been left in a garage for the last few weeks and I guess will have to remain as is if this part is not found. Is there an outlet that supply such Toyota discontinued parts?

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that you've had this trouble!

Try here; Eurocarparts.com

Thnaks for your help. Unfortunately, part was not found. I'm afraid that I'll have to scrap the car if this part is not found anywhere.

Thanks again.

Hang in there, one will turn up. I also thought Toyota's attitude towards "classics" was disgusting, not only will they not supply parts for older cars, main dealers are actively binning stock!!

-To Contract Porsche have opend another factory purely to make parts for discontinued cars.

The problem with keeping older parts is finding customers to match to the parts you stock. The very fact that a car is old means your chances of selling a particular part diminish quite quickly. Around 6 years ago we held nearly 180K worth of stock, a lot of it for old cars, it had been on the shelves for years and years, never moving, and rarely satisfying a customer order. We now stock around 60K, most of it fast moving, turning your stocks more than 20 times per year. Banks will no longer fund huge stocks if it only turns over 2 or 3 times per year, a sad fact of life but one that every business has to look at. There is nothing wrong in having a spare parts factory selling parts for older cars if there is a demand, but if you little or no demand then you dont have a business

Kingo :thumbsup:

The problem with keeping older parts is finding customers to match to the parts you stock. The very fact that a car is old means your chances of selling a particular part diminish quite quickly. Around 6 years ago we held nearly 180K worth of stock, a lot of it for old cars, it had been on the shelves for years and years, never moving, and rarely satisfying a customer order. We now stock around 60K, most of it fast moving, turning your stocks more than 20 times per year. Banks will no longer fund huge stocks if it only turns over 2 or 3 times per year, a sad fact of life but one that every business has to look at. There is nothing wrong in having a spare parts factory selling parts for older cars if there is a demand, but if you little or no demand then you dont have a business

The problem is that unlike other makes, Toyota do alot of promotion against part imitations. This resulted in a situation that when geniuine parts for toyota cars are no longer manufactured, there will be no imitation parts to take over the market or such imittation part supply is very limited to none. This is very dissapointing as I think that if Toyota want owners to use only geniuine parts, then parts should not be discountinued in the first place. I have 21 year old car of another make and this issue is never a problem as imitations makeup for the discontinued parts.

I wouldn't care if such part is an imitiation. The most important thing is that the car is back on the road.

Sorry reqqau but I don't agree with you. The problem is that until Toyota started building cars in the UK, the amount of cars they could import was limited by law. This meant that a car such as the Starlet was only imported in terms of a few thousand cars. In order to make pattern parts, a supplier would need to be making tens of thousands of parts, making it commercially viable. It is only since Toyota mass produced cars in Europe that we are seeing all sorts of after market manufacturers making parts (some very good and others downright dangerous), as the total car parc is now hundreds of thousands. I share your frustration in not being able to get hold of this part, but somebody somewhere will have made a decision that if you only sell one of the part you need once a year, then why stock it?

Sorry reqqau but I don't agree with you. The problem is that until Toyota started building cars in the UK, the amount of cars they could import was limited by law. This meant that a car such as the Starlet was only imported in terms of a few thousand cars. In order to make pattern parts, a supplier would need to be making tens of thousands of parts, making it commercially viable. It is only since Toyota mass produced cars in Europe that we are seeing all sorts of after market manufacturers making parts (some very good and others downright dangerous), as the total car parc is now hundreds of thousands. I share your frustration in not being able to get hold of this part, but somebody somewhere will have made a decision that if you only sell one of the part you need once a year, then why stock it?

:( & I was relying on you to get me out of a hole, if I needed parts for my Jap manufactured Executive GL :crybaby:

Is your run over yet, and if so, how did you get on ?

I could well agree with you if the problem was confined only to the UK. But I've checked also with US(i.e. which by the way there is the Toyota Headquarters) auto part dealers and there is the same problem over there. Whatever, if you have any information where I can find this part it would be very helpful.

oh dear this doesnt sound good. what about parts for ae86, i heard that they are still making them as there is still a massive fan base world wide. will this factor (popularity) alone determin whether to stop makin parts for certain models?

oh dear this doesnt sound good. what about parts for ae86, i heard that they are still making them as there is still a massive fan base world wide. will this factor (popularity) alone determin whether to stop makin parts for certain models?

The AE86 is a very popular car in the world of rallying, Toyota stock hardly any bodywork for these cars, some people make pattern parts for them

If you think about the scrappage scheme, 300,000 cars will be crushed this year with an extra 100,000 in addition just being announced. The value of your "parts for old cars" stock has just dropped through the floor, :eek: you have 400K of cars going in the crusher, PLUS, the normal amount of natural cars written off or ones that have died

Against that, anyone who can keep their old car going or preserved in a garage, will find it becoming a rarity or even a Classic :unsure: NO?

Against that, anyone who can keep their old car going or preserved in a garage, will find it becoming a rarity or even a Classic :unsure: NO?

What I can say from my experience is that this is the first time I found this problem with a model. I think that scrapping a car for not finding a "Thermostatic valve" is ridiculous. But, unable to find this part will result in the only option. I don't know but a car buyer should never come to such situations. Especially in case of Toyota Starlets which were a quite common buy at that time. I have an older car of another make and never found such problems.

GTi parts are very hard to come across which is why I often leap at a chance to get them. When I had a GL hatch aswell, I took things like the Wipers, wiper motor, coolant tanks, screen wash tanks, lights, bulbs, trim the bonnet and much more.

I will be sad to see the day when the GTi die out completely, but I have a feelign that it will come. :(

Hang in there and DO NOT scrap it. I've seen to many old-skool rides getting scrapped.

Eh?

I don't understand - I am living on a totally different planet!!!

My local Dealership is amazing and seem to be able to get every single item for my '89 Corolla GTi and also was able to get a lot of parts for a '77 Celica RA28 GT (The 'Mustang' Look-a-like) - I was involved in the restoration of.

In fact I think Toyota are one of the best companies to get old car parts from and one of the reasons I like running older Toyotas - They built it so they always supply parts for it!

The Dealership itself seems to love old Toyotas (As a sort of 'its good for advertising etc... look how they keep going etc.')

So guys and girls your dealerships must be messing you around, where I leave they are Superb!

-Scrappage scheme: Don't worry everybody alot of the decent stuff is NOT being crushed - it ends up in 'Bongo Bongo land'/that part of the world etc. for the local natives to use etc. So there is light at the end of the tunnel after all. ;)

Eh?

I don't understand - I am living on a totally different planet!!!

My local Dealership is amazing and seem to be able to get every single item for my '89 Corolla GTi and also was able to get a lot of parts for a '77 Celica RA28 GT (The 'Mustang' Look-a-like) - I was involved in the restoration of.

In fact I think Toyota are one of the best companies to get old car parts from and one of the reasons I like running older Toyotas - They built it so they always supply parts for it!

The Dealership itself seems to love old Toyotas (As a sort of 'its good for advertising etc... look how they keep going etc.')

So guys and girls your dealerships must be messing you around, where I leave they are Superb!

-Scrappage scheme: Don't worry everybody alot of the decent stuff is NOT being crushed - it ends up in 'Bongo Bongo land'/that part of the world etc. for the local natives to use etc. So there is light at the end of the tunnel after all. ;)

So, if this part (PartNo:1772811090) is available in your planet can you please let me know the auto part dealer from were I can get it. Thanks

Sorry but you are wrong

While many parts might be removed and sold as second hand, the cars are CRUSHED, without question and will NOT end up in Bongo Bongo land (wherever that is)

EVERY dealer operating the scrappage scheme has to go through a fully audited method of disposing of the cars, this includes a certificate of disposal. The whole idea of the scheme is to get rid of older cars, the system when introduced in Germany was completely abused and the UK government were determined it would not happen over here. EVERY dealer operating in the scheme can be audited for a period of 6 years after scrapping the car, and if any of the paperwork is cannot be accounted for then the scrappage allowance will be clawed back. I have seen some fantastic little cars being traded in and scrapped, to say they will somehow be shipped to another country for disposal is completely misleading and totally untrue.

I think you need to find those persons who own that car and now-a-days don't use them and can exchange with them the parts you want. I think this might solve your problem.

I think you need to find those persons who own that car and now-a-days don't use them and can exchange with them the parts you want. I think this might solve your problem.

I agree with you. The problem is that the ones I've asked that had the same problem with Toyota Starlet parts, had scrapped the car already as they got fed up with a useless car in their garage. Actually I'm thinking of this as the only option. This time buying a car of a make that from my experiece are more reliable regarding parts availability especially on a extended time frame.

Parts-King Posted Oct 3 2009, 10:43 AM

EVERY dealer operating the scrappage scheme has to go through a fully audited method of disposing of the cars, this includes a certificate of disposal. The whole idea of the scheme is to get rid of older cars, the system when introduced in Germany was completely abused and the UK government were determined it would not happen over here. EVERY dealer operating in the scheme can be audited for a period of 6 years after scrapping the car, and if any of the paperwork is cannot be accounted for then the scrappage allowance will be clawed back. I have seen some fantastic little cars being traded in and scrapped, to say they will somehow be shipped to another country for disposal is completely misleading and totally untrue.

No offence but never have I heard so much 'Bull***t'

I know of complete cars 'going out the back door (as 'spare parts' etc)' at certain main dealers

But then you work for a 'Main Stealer' - and thus (understandably) would never admit that such 'practices' go on - but as we all know it's main dealers who are the biggest culprits! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links