Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Maintenance Help!

lampy

Hi! Not long owned my first mr2. Is a mk2 rev2 tbar. The car was in great condition and had low mileage when i bought it! But Unfortunately no service history! Car has 67,000 on clock! My main worry is not knowing if or when has had a cambelt done ever. There is no sticker showing info either!

Are the cambelts prone to going early or go on forever?

Is it an engine out job?

What are the main weaknesses of these cars to look out for?

sorry about all the basic questions!

Is it a turbo?

60k is about the limit of the belt. I'd get it changed, it's about a 5 hour job and you can do it with the engine in situ, but you need to lower the engine on the driver side.

Swap the tensioner, water pump and thermostat at the same time.

Main weakness? The driver.

I did mine through Toyota. New Seals, tensioner's, belt, ac belt, alt belt, Pump, Coolant flush with all Toyota parts. just about 1,000$ US(only 290$ labor!). Damn Toyota parts... What hurt most was the pump, and the tensioner's. Then misc 30 and 40 for some seals.

You are in the US.

Generally that means stuff is half the price, the labour rate is about a quater the price, and the job will get done well by someone who knows how to do it.

This is the UK.

Means you'll get over charged for parts (which they wont use), and they will be fitted by a chimp who doesn't know one end of a screwdriver from the other. You will get charged about £100 per hour for the priviledge.

Hi, yeah its not a turbo! Im in the uk near watford. Will hunt around for a good price but best do some saving i guess!

MR2's have whats called a "non interferance" set which means that if the cam belt breaks, the engine will not get seriously damaged, although you will of course stop.

I would imagine this applies to the Turbo.

MR2's have whats called a "non interferance" set which means that if the cam belt breaks, the engine will not get seriously damaged, although you will of course stop.

I would imagine this applies to the Turbo.

They do, but I've seen plenty of mashed valves to tell me it's not 100% and it's not worth the risk for a £30 belt ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links