Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Key

Gary Fraser

We have a '99 Yaris 1.0 GLS. I believe from reading this forum that it should have remote central locking however we only have the grey key that has no buttons.

Can anyone confirm if the GLS should have remote central locking and if so how do i go about getting a replacement key (can i buy one from eBay?)

Cheers :)

yip you should have c/locking but no you cant have it.........you need the master key(black with buttons) to be able to program the new key and sorry the grey key is a valet key.before anyone says yes you can,you can program the key so the buttons will open the car but the key will not start the car.

hope that helps

Thank you.

Do you know if a second hand remote key can be reprogrammed? I'd like to have a fob even if i have to use two keys?

Cheers

To answer my own question just in case anyone else gets stuck with this one.

I bought a second hand key that had the buttons and followed the reprogram instructions using the grey key and now the fob works, which is good better than using the key.

• 4 months later...

I bought a second hand key that had the buttons and followed the reprogram instructions using the grey key and now the fob works, which is good better than using the key.

Hi Gary

I'm in the same baot as you were with regards to only having a grey key(for a Y reg 1L GS Yaris).

I've bought a second hand key fob and I'm so far unable to reprogram it.

I have tried loads of different instructions from all over the web, including those in the manuals in this forums stickies but I don't seem to be able to get the car into programming mode. The manuals instructions get a little confusing around the door/opening closing states.

Could you please advise on what instructions you used?

If anyone else knows how I can get the ECU into 'add mode' please let me know.

Hi Gary

I'm in the same baot as you were with regards to only having a grey key(for a Y reg 1L GS Yaris).

I've bought a second hand key fob and I'm so far unable to reprogram it.

I have tried loads of different instructions from all over the web, including those in the manuals in this forums stickies but I don't seem to be able to get the car into programming mode. The manuals instructions get a little confusing around the door/opening closing states.

Could you please advise on what instructions you used?

If anyone else knows how I can get the ECU into 'add mode' please let me know.

You can't program a black key from the grey key as said in the other post's. If you had the balck key then you can program another black key, I did it for my daughters. Bought a cut key from Toyota I think it was £18 then programmed the new key by the press the accelerator 5 times etc method worked a treat. But you need the black key or its a new ECU or at least a re-programmed ECU

But if you have a GS, it hasn't got remote central locking as standard, so you'll not be able to programme a fob to open the doors remotely..

The GLS had it remote locking fitted but the poster above was missing a fob, so he could get a replacement, but the GS doesn't have remote locking so your car won't have the wireless receiver fitted....

But if you have a GS, it hasn't got remote central locking as standard, so you'll not be able to programme a fob to open the doors remotely..

The GLS had it remote locking fitted but the poster above was missing a fob, so he could get a replacement, but the GS doesn't have remote locking so your car won't have the wireless receiver fitted....

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The manual for the car mentioned remote locking keys should be provided with the car, so I assumed this would be standard even on th GS.

Oh well never mind. :(

Just double checked in my 2000 Yaris brochure...

Remote locking was unavailable on the S, an optional extra on the GS and standard fit from the GLS upwards....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links