Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why do you like Toyota?

JimCollins

Hello, my name is Jim and I am writing an essay for my economic studies about Toyota and what I need to know is exactly what you like about your Toyotas. It could be to do with performance, style costs or anything else.

If you would like to help, you can reply to this post or email me toyota@collinsx.com with your views, however detailed or brief.

Many thanks;

Jim

I don’t think I’d ever buy a normal Toyota; they're boring. The only reason I got mine was because it's very rare, I’d never saw one before and I’ve not seen many since.

And it’s quick. :D

The only other Toyota i'd get is a Supra twin turbo.

Thanks for that; I hadn't thought about rarity before and will put it in my essay.

Maybe someone with a normal Toyota would like to comment?

I've had four Toyotas (3 Celicas and my Sera) and a couple of mates have had MR2s, the reason I like them is that they've been very reliable – no-one likes breaking down! you get a lot of car for the money and great performance and/or styling. Toyota is also highly regarded in motorsport and this rubs off on to their road car range.

That's just my opinion on the cars I've known which have been sporty, I don't think I'd have a base model because they're the sort of car driven by people who aren't fussed about what they drive as long as it gets from A to B, and that comes back to reliability again.

;)

I've had a number of MR2's in between other cars, in my opinion they cant be faulted, good build quality and as long as they are looked after will last a life time....

People I know with toyota's seem to agree with the following....

reliability, performance (depends on model), price (not only of car but maintenance, servicing etc). Overall there a great car to own.

i've always been a fan of jap cars (other then true supercars, ie lambos, zondas etc but thats a different story!)

i guess i choose toyota is because of its build quality, reliability, performance (gave a few bigger engined cars a good run for their money) and loads of tuning/modding potentials!

I first bought a Toyota Camry Estate - 7 seater with a 2.2 ltr engine 5 years ago, and at the time it was 4yrs old - I wanted a large estate car with 7 seat capability and to some degree some exclusivity.

I did a huge amount of home work to finaly come up with the Camry as my 1st choice, this had a lot to do with the following the Camry has in the USA, having been at the top of the JD Powers survey for mid sized family saloons for a number of years and the biggest seller in that class for the same number of years.

Also I actually remember it first appearing in the Toyota show rooms some years back and liking its looks & 2 wipers on the rear window!!!

Anyway, my wife took possesion of that car when we went our seperate ways...

And now I have a Toyota 4runner (4x4), again these cars are less common on these shores, but have stood the test of time in the States/Aussie and Japan and have shown tremendous reliability, like the Camry they weren't a big hit in country, possibly a little before their time,

as 4x4 utility vehicles are all the rage now, and this has been superceeded with the Colorado now.

Aagain I like the looks and its toughness - doesn't look like a hairdressers car - and boy the 30.ltr TD can pack a punch, plus its just amazing fun taking it off road.

I've enjoyed owning my Toyota's, not quite the normal run of the mill cars and not too posey for me either along with being in my price bracket.

• 3 weeks later...

Worked at Assembly plant in Burnaston for 6 years & can honestly say that alot of effort is put into building a top quality vehicle.

I had 2 Carina E's whilst there & then changed to Rover's & Ford's after leaving. Now have gone back to Toyota's & now have a 12 month old Avensis.

Also have a Starlet as second car ( wife's ) & will not ( without a fight ) revert to another Manufacturer.

Toyota's are totally reliable, highly spec'd & reasonable to service.

I had to study manufacturing techniques as part of my degree and the 'Toyota Production System' is always quoted as the best, and is the system that the major automotive manufacturers try to adopt. Toyota products have a great reputation for quality and reliability. In addition to this they build some cracking sports cars. That's when why when the opportunity came along I jumped at the chance to own a Toyota Celica.

All the best with the essay!

I own a Starlet turbo and love its performance and looks plus its rare and has a Turbo.As EP-82 said..."I don’t think I’d ever buy a normal Toyota; they're boring."

But due to my Starlet impressing me so much over the last three years with its reliability im contemplating either a newer Starlet turbo or a Celica GT4 as my next car.

As for your question of "why do you like your Toyota's?" for me its not just Toyota's but other top Japanese motor companies like Honda,Mitsubishi,Subaru,Nissan and Mazda they all produce reliable quality motors.

European cars are mainly un-reliable rubbish with the exception of Germany.

So theres your answer i like my Toyota because its reliable and i love Japanese cars.

Thanks for all of your responses.

My conclusion seems to be that the reason (competitive advantage) people buy Toyotas is reliability. I bet you didn't see that coming. I basically have to write a whole essay about what I have just said.

Thanks again

Jim

• 6 months later...

Hi Chaps............I'm not sure if this is the right thread to leave my problem with, but some of you seem to have similar shaped cars cars (yes, thats what it's come to). But, I'm having a tw*t of a time starting my K reg Carina 1.6 Gli, I'm almost certain the problem is electrical, co's when it does start there's no further problem.

When you turn the key it just clicks away (about 20 time or sometimes first time!?) until it eventually starts. Then runs fine.

It's driving me nuts.....solenoids and ignition starter switches have been mentioned but i'm still in the dark.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nice one.

I've had 2 toyotas, corolla as my first car and now a Starlet turbo. My bro had a MR2 turbo a few years back and now he has a impreza. However he is thinking to sell his impreza to get another MR2 cos he like them so much.

I sold my corolla to my bro's girlfriend's sister and I still see it driving around today even though it's a G reg and has covered 270K. I guess they are mechanicly indestructible if you look after them right I'm sure many would agree.

Anyway. my point here is how many 1.3's do you know that can keep up with an impreza WRX STi type RA with 320bhp???

I raced my bro and he only pulled away from me like I was standing still and he was driving at 3 mph. ;)

I guess all people in this site has really powerful cars and toyota's are really tune-able :thumbsup:

well its not perfonrnance as my mates nova is faster...

its not reliability as I had juts sort of blown my THIRD supra engine up this year.

its DEFINITELY not economics as I have never had a car that is so expensive on parts (of fuel!)

style? well I've juts been told it looks like a pile of :censor: ......

this is now my 6th toyota... good question WHY? Am I losing faith people?

For me its rarity, style, funkyness etc. I like old toyotas, and if i had a chance id get a 70's landcruiser as well!!!

Also they can be hevily modded, swaping bits to and fro etc, if uve got one that lacks performance.... the answer is simple - just put a bigger engine in it :D

Im into classics, and i didnt want to be another MGB driver! Most of the other cars i liked i.e lancia fulvia, where just to expensive. Toyota classics arnt pricey, and are not very common, plus i liked um when i lived in Aus, so saw one in an add, went 6hrs away to look at it (was the first ever car i bought and didnt even have my license, it was even the first car i looked at... just call it love at first sight), and the next wk brought it back on a trailer all the way from devon to Oxford!!!

Oldskool all the way :D

Why do I love Toyota???

Simple.. I don't... I love Lexus...

Why...

Hmmm, this make take a while, so sit down, get comfy, and make sure you have a coffee...

Firstly, the way they look... the IS especially, it is SO jap.. but has a hint of euro styling in there, which makes it unique.. not as raw as say a subaru or lancer..

The GS looks a lot more Euro... but still has that Jap edge, especially in the Sport...

The performance.. well, the IS200 aint gonna break any records, but mid-range performance the 6-cylinder is a dream, and sounds sooooo sweet... The GS430 Sport.. what more do I have to say, big V8, it aint a Boy racer machine.. but certainly goes some..

The way they drive... you've gotta respect rear wheel drive.. so many car companies are ditching this in favor for cheaper FWD (e.g. Jaguar).. but you can't beat the sensation of a heavy saloon, front engined, rear wheel drive.. again it aint a race car, but it's sooo much fun to drive..

The LS430... may be ugly, but for such a huge car, it is so easy to drive, and feels a lot smaller than it is...

The equipment list... if you bought a mini cooper for 14 grand, and added all the options to bring it to an IS200 SE spec.. it would cost you 26 grand... no kidding...

It is ultimate luxury, and doesn't cost you anything more...

The interior, the IS has such an orginal dash, the GS is executive without being dull....

The reliability.. well, no car can be perfect... but the results speak for themselves....

its DEFINITELY not economics as I have never had a car that is so expensive on parts (of fuel!)

I raced my mates, Teg R, Celica and MR2 all the way up to JAE couple of weeks ago, well raced every other occassions but foot down every time we came to a roundabout and juntions.

Drove about 190/200miles doing above and by the time I got there I only used about 1/2 the petrol tank and it cost me 25 pounds for a full tank. My car has filter,zurst,boost up so imagine a standard starlet :yes: i'd say about 10 pounds for 200 miles.

well its not perfonrnance as my mates nova is faster......

Am I losing faith people?

i would if my supra was being smoked by a nova.....

anyway weve three toyotas in my garage at the moment,all bought for very different reasons.

1:my glanza,i bought this car mainly for trade in value,it's looks and performance.

2:yaris,belongs to my mother,bought for one simple reason central locking.her mother has alsymers and when shes in the car sometimes she try's to open the door while driveing.last car she had was a punto,and driveing her mother was nerve wrecking.now shes no worries.

3:rav4,belongs to my father,bought because he's disabled and driveing normal cars just isnt possable for him any more,i.e. getting in and out for a start,and the rav has very light steering,it lighter than my glanza's for example.

so that's why we like toyotas :thumbsup:

at the time i was looking for a camry to replace my 1988 hona Accord. my wife by this time had a starlet and was now driving a corolla. both have been absolutely reliable. so a toyota it had to be.

father in law came across an ad in the autotrader for this, and after we went to see it I bought it. more luxurious then a camry and it was half the price and half the mileage compared with age. been absolutely reliable, looks different, i believe mine is the only one in the country ! but please prove me wrong. at least no other turned up at the JAE :crybaby::crybaby::drool: :meet:

rickers

This is my first Toyota, and cant understnd why I didnt buy one earlier.

My reason for buying the MR2 was mostly down to style vs cost, theres very few cars around that look so good for the money, followed closely by performance - again where do you get this level of performance and handling for £3000.

I cant really comment on reliability yet as I havent had the car long enough, but mine is a 1990 model and its rock solid.

I would find it very difficult to look beyond Jap cars after this.

well its not perfonrnance as my mates nova is faster...

style? well I've juts been told it looks like a pile of !Removed!......

this is now my 6th toyota... good question WHY? Am I losing faith people?

What you talking 'bout Karma. A nova faster than your Supra. YEAH, sure, when your wheels are off and it's up on bricks. NO MORE SWEARING buddy.

And trust me on this one - it does not look S :censor: t.

It's a great looking beastie. :thumbsup:

Now there's an ad, 6 Toyotas - must be something 'bout them huh.....

Ok granted this nova has about 280 bhp from its 2.0 turbo engine... and weighs nothing.... (this is why I am looking to build a 3s-GTE powered mk1 MR2)

economy.. well I guess thats me cars, the last 4 being 2 2.5 twin turbo soarers, a 3.0 turbo supra and anow a 2.0 tt supra.. they are far from economical!!!! tho the tt supras not bad if you drive like a granny (brighton to reading on 1/4 of a tank)

as for the styling the guy is a total :censor: he looks like a bin laden replica thats 5 foot tall, and runs a modified fiesta turbo.

I'm just grumpy again because I'm having a totaly nightmare stripping of the turbos that blew up the day before yesterday.....

i got my mr2 turbo because it's mid-engined, rwd, turbo and capable of shaming so called supercars. mk2's have a classic shape that hasn't aged like many other cars.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links