Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Induction Kit?

~Jai~

At the moment I'm driving a 1.6 vvti and just wondered if anyone had fitted either an induction kit or performance panel filter to this engine? If so, what kind of power gains have you had?

At the moment I'm driving a 1.6 vvti and just wondered if anyone had fitted either an induction kit or performance panel filter to this engine? If so, what kind of power gains have you had?

An induction kit or panel filter alone, will rarely if ever, give an appreciable power gain, it might sound as though it does, but does not unless matched with other items such as re-map etc.

Not always the case.

Sure, I have a Corrolla but the engines aren't that much different..

K&N Typhoon and TTE backbox alone have given me 20BHP more than factory stated. Yes, it has been proven by Dyno. The only downside is.... I dunno what it was before the mods were added! :lol:

Suppose they do have more benefits than just power increases. They'll decrease your fuel consumption if you drive sensibly. But with the note you get from the engine with an Intake, THAT is very rarely the case. :lol:

Not always the case.

K&N Typhoon and TTE backbox alone have given me 20BHP more than factory stated. Yes, it has been proven by Dyno. The only downside is.... I dunno what it was before the mods were added! :lol:

Suppose they do have more benefits than just power increases. They'll decrease your fuel consumption if you drive sensibly. But with the note you get from the engine with an Intake, THAT is very rarely the case. :lol:

But, as you have confirmed, the claimed increase you have quoted is NOT with just an induction kit which was the question jai asked , it is also with the addition of a different exhaust system with should aid exhaust flow.

Just the backbox? Well known that the Backbox isn't the restrictive part of the Exhaust. I'd need a full system or atleast a Cat-back to see any significant gains from an exhaust.

Toyota and TTE claim that you'll see very minute increase through the different Backbox. Another member just had the K&N Typhoon fitted and had 17 over Factory stated.

Jai does not have turbo engine. Therefore the difference is pretty big...

Best regards, Alex

Turbo? Where's my Turbo?

Last time I checked the 2ZZ doesn't have a Turbo :P

But you've got T-sport Rolla, right? I thought they all have turbos :unsure: Sorry for the mistake mate :lol:

But 20 HP increase? I'd really like to know how to reach those results... :)

Best regards, Alex

Nope. No Corolla T Sport has a Turbo unless added by the owner.

It's simply a 1.8 DOHC engine stuffing out 189BHP. :)

20BHP isn't so unrealistic if you look at what the manufacturers of the Induction kits say.

At the Dyno testing, The K&N Typhoons seemed to add between 17-20BHP, Apexi added apparently 12. Powertec added 17, and the Pipercross Viper kit seemed to Deduct 2.. :lol:

That's interesting. So only by changing air filter, 20 bhp... I still doubt it has something to do with your engine type, as I've never heard about such things before! But I'll definitely investigate this thing. That info made me very curious! Extra HP are always welcome :rolleyes:

Have you got any other performance mods you know about? Interested to hear more regarding this issue!

Best regards, Alex

(Sorry for Hijacking your thread here ~Jai~)

No other 'Performance' mods as such. Only a TTE(Remus) backbox. Which is claimed to give little to no increase in performance.

The only reason there's such a big gain is because the original Air Box is so restrictive. The big K&N Open Cone allows for far greater air intake. The 2ZZ is a great engine but very hard to push anything else out of it unless you go for Forced iinduction.

After the Intake / Exhaust system all you can really do is Port and Polish... then you're talking ££££ for Cams, Stand Alone management systems etc. Not worth it unless you have mega bucks to waste.

Yes, sorry Jai! (But this is a conversation about increasing power, so it kinda isn't off-topic).

So your backbox is TTE, and as I understand correctly it is developed by Remus? I don't have TTE backbox, but the one from Remus which is designed for Auris.

I've heard that TTE box for Auris does not bring any more power however... And I have same feeling with my Remus.

Really after installing Remus and Apexi Dual Funnel intake, I haven't noticed any power increase really. My car seems even slower after those mods :o Or maybe it's just how I feel, probably I should visit dyno to be sure.

Adding forced induction in Finland is very difficult to newer cars because of emission regulations. It is also very very expensive for sure!

As a bottom line... You told that you have DOHC 1.8 engine. I am still not sure wether the difference is that small between 1.6 (124hp) and 1.8 which has 189hp. But on the other hand, why would it be that easy to push out 17-20hp more from an engine, which is just a bit bigger compared to 1.6 but has so much more power compared to it allready from factory...?

Best regards, Alex

Just the backbox? Well known that the Backbox isn't the restrictive part of the Exhaust. I'd need a full system or atleast a Cat-back to see any significant gains from an exhaust.

Toyota and TTE claim that you'll see very minute increase through the different Backbox. Another member just had the K&N Typhoon fitted and had 17 over Factory stated.

Did the the other member you quote also have the same 1.8 DOHC as you or an Auris?

Also, did they do a before and after RR on the same day, on the same rollers, as weather conditions, heat soak etc have a major effect on RR figures.

If neither yourself or the other person did a before and after dyno run, then sorry, but the 20bhp incease you quote is pie in the sky figures and cannot be attributed to just the induction kit, and whilst all manufacturers will quote wierd and wonderful increase figures, very few if any actually back these claims up with a dyno run.

In fact K&N filters have been known, due to over oiling by the car owner, to knock out mafs on a regular basis.

It is also common knowledge that all engines can and do produce different figures than those quoted at the factory, and two identical engines can show totally different figures, so as before, without a before and after dyno run, on the same day and on the same rollers, its worthless, but there again if the operative on the rollers knows what they are doing, they can adjust the rollers to show different figures from the true ones.

At the end of the day bhp figures are all just pub talk, and its how the car performs that really counts.

There's another RR day coming up just after Christmas.. Fancy bringing that SR180 of yours along...? ;)

No, We didn't do before and after runs, mainly because we didn't care what the increase was, we wanted to see what we were putting down anyway. If we cared so much about the increase we would have swicthed the intakes. The plan on the next test is to swap the different filters around. Stock, K&N, Apexi and whatever else turns up on the day, To see which gives the best increase over stock.

I'm fully aware that all engines can and do produce different figures from what's quoted at the factory. But all of the random CTS's that turned up at the RR day happen to have near 20BHP over standard by luck? I'd imagine not..

I also think you'll find that K&N DO back their results up by Dyno runs as K&N is based in Warrington, (which is 10 Miles from my house) with a fully functioning Rolling Road (Which I've seen when testing). Infact, Quite a few members on TOC have actually used their cars as the Prototypes on new ranges, and received a free intake for their troubles, and the Dyno results to boot.

I Agree BHP figures are all balls, and it's how it performs on the road, and I'd say mine performs pretty well as not much leaves it... Nor could many other CTS's beat my time at Pod. ;)

In Short.... You're not going to see anywhere near a 20BHP increase on a 1.6, No way. But on our 2ZZ? It's not exactly implausible...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links