Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev 3 Turbo Boost

MattMR2Turbo

When the VSV is working on my rev3 turbo, should the dash boost gauge read full? It's just that I had a bleed valve on before and now I've closed it so I'm running stock boost and was wondering if my VSV is working and it's boosting fully?

Here are some photos of my dash gauge when the car is at full load:

Boost2.jpg

Boost1.jpg

If it was boosting fully (13psi) should my dash read full?

Looks like it's only pointing to the non VSV point .. it should point over the + ..

When you had the bleed valve, was the VSV hose blocked at all?

Hmm when my turbo is running cold my gauge still flys to above the + but its well obvious theres no power. you can feel a build up in boost as usual but then it stops early. The gauge still whack to the top tho.

Yea I know those gauges aren't reliable but surely they should read right for standard boost? I was using the bleed valve just to make it hit max.

I find it incredible that people use boost control devices without installing a proper boost gauge.

The stock gauge is a total piece of junk, get an aftermarket one asap.

Probably your VSV is disabled and your getting a little less than you other wise would.

Yep looks like it's running ar 7psi (actually I think this is higher on Rev 3's) , i.e. No VSV. I agree though. I can't believe people modify cars without proper gauges. For what they cost compared to new engine/turbo....

Is it like a second pipe from the actuator? I.e. one goes to wastegate and one to vsv?

Yup .. is about 6" long on the Rev2 ..

Yep looks like it's running ar 7psi (actually I think this is higher on Rev 3's) , i.e. No VSV.

I believe it was 10psi on Rev3+ .. the VSV adds 3psi on both gen2 and gen3 engines ..

The stocker is utter crap....don't reley on it for ANYTHING!! This is what I found when upping the boost on my Gen III; With the vsv EN-abled the car would boost to WHAT I SET IT AT and then drop right back down to 7 psi, with it DIS-abled it would boost the what I set it to AND STAY THERE.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Hmm when my turbo is running cold my gauge still flys to above the + but its well obvious theres no power. you can feel a build up in boost as usual but then it stops early. The gauge still whack to the top tho.

Oops sorry I lie. I checked it today and when the car isnt fully wamred up it 3/4 of the way up same as yours. But hits the roof when its fine (ie above the +)

I know I need a proper gauge, that's why I'm putting it back to standard for now.

I had a look last night and ot's been blocked at the actuator. Can't see where the hell the rest of the pipe going to the vsv is though?! Will I be better looking from underneath the car?

Those pics were taken on my 'private runway' of course :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links