Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Wiper Interval Delay

Airman

Hi all

Anybody know how to wire a interval delay into the rear wiper rather than it just being on or off?

I had fitted a rear spoiler, looks nice but seems to channel more water from the roof onto the rear window, so I am constantly turning the rear wiper on and off, hence the queston about the interval delay.

Hi,

Making the electronics to make it go on and off are easy, its making it stop and start at the bottom of the screen which would be difficult i think.

Try googling?

Matt

theres a post on here that someone put on a while ago. they changed the wiper controls to that of a yaris (I think it was a yaris). But from what I remember it went straight on, and allowed for a few different intervals for the rear wiper.

theres a post on here that someone put on a while ago. they changed the wiper controls to that of a yaris (I think it was a yaris). But from what I remember it went straight on, and allowed for a few different intervals for the rear wiper.

Yes think I know which one you mean, the one I saw was for the delay on the front wipers, taking the stork from an Auris posted by REFZ, done nothing for the rear wiper though.

I know I can get the delay from Maplin but would lose myself trying to wire it to the car

Yes think I know which one you mean, the one I saw was for the delay on the front wipers, taking the stork from an Auris posted by REFZ, done nothing for the rear wiper though.

I know I can get the delay from Maplin but would lose myself trying to wire it to the car

Ahhhhh yeah thats the one. Sorry but I cant help ya, I haven't a clue about electronics :s

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3182

hmm.

It comes with instructions, so should be easy enough to fit?

--EDIT--

In the Q&As bit it says it doesnt come with instructions...which is odd.

If you look at the two photos, theres one that looks a lot older than the main pic...i'm wondering if this circuit has been updated...and with instructions?

It's a Velleman-kit, these haven't changed in quite some while...

Wiring this thing into the car is'nt really hard, but it will fully disable

the continous-on, which might be a pain when you use the rear washer...

I've been developing a system for the Aygo/C1/107 that will allow the rear wiper

to be used on a delay AND continous by switching the thing on and off within a certain

time-frame, but the rear wiper and washer are switched on the NEGATIVE side,

which complicates everything. That's why I've been working on this on and off for the past 2 years...

The parking of the wiper is controlled inside the actual motor, so you don't have to worry about that...

It's a Velleman-kit, these haven't changed in quite some while...

Wiring this thing into the car is'nt really hard, but it will fully disable

the continous-on, which might be a pain when you use the rear washer...

I've been developing a system for the Aygo/C1/107 that will allow the rear wiper

to be used on a delay AND continous by switching the thing on and off within a certain

time-frame, but the rear wiper and washer are switched on the NEGATIVE side,

which complicates everything. That's why I've been working on this on and off for the past 2 years...

The parking of the wiper is controlled inside the actual motor, so you don't have to worry about that...

Thanks for the Info Jan, I was considering the Velleman kit, but if what you say is right then disabling the continous on would be silly, although thinking about it, I could use a switched bypass or isolator to restore the continious on for washing the rear screen , Mmm sounds messy .

How near are you to finishing your system Jan?

I have a system that might work, but I'm not satisfied with it at all.

It's really messy and I doubt if it will stand up in the harsh

environment of a car (moisture, temperature and vibration).

Since I want this to be erfect and possibly plug&play so it can be sold too,

I'm currently seeking help from someone who can program a PIC for me;

that would greatly reduce partscount and will simplify things a lot.

But I've got a LOT of other projects too and do alot of modifications for Dutch

forum members (1 to 3 appointments each weekend for the past 6 weeks),

so this project is on the back burner for the moment...

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Anybody know how to wire a interval delay into the rear wiper rather than it just being on or off?

I had fitted a rear spoiler, looks nice but seems to channel more water from the roof onto the rear window, so I am constantly turning the rear wiper on and off, hence the queston about the interval delay.

you need two regular relays, one interval relay (I used one from golf mk2) and app. 100 cm of wire. Connect new wire to minus trigger pulse wire near windshield fluid bottle (impulse comes from main wipers switch).

Once connected pull wire through engine compartment to come somewhere between driver door and pedals. Open lower plastic cover near driver door and instrument panel and find light green color wire (this wire send signal from wipers switch to rear wiper motor) Cut this wire.

On new wire you set, connect relay to change from negative trigger to positive trigger. Now you have positive trigger impulse (on is when wiper switch is in position for washing rear window end upper position on switch or end rear position of switch)

Now connect impulse relay (my is from golf 2 and needs positive trigger) to positive trigger relay you installed.

Find impulse out on interval relay (this is now positive trigger). Once you find and you are sure that works every 4-5 seconds (check with simple tester) connect second regular relay to change again polarity from positive to negative (wiper motor is on negative trigger impulse).

On the end connect this to light green wire to rear motor wiper. There is no more “on” function wiper will work same in interval as on VW Golf MK2 or MK3.

Switch works only on command for washing for on/off.

On my aygo works nice!!!

If you were to use an intermittant wiper relay in parallel with an interior light delay switch then you should be able to get the result that turning on the rear wiper

it would wipe constant for 3 or 4 seconds then go intermittant there after. If turned on then off you would get 3 or 4 wipes. If you were to use the rear window squirter then you would always get a 3 or 4 second blast but then thats no diferent to Citroens or Peugoets (not C1, 107, eg C4,307,308 etc with everything controlled through the central computer and having a multiplexed wiring loom)

Hmm, need right delay switch though, one that can be set to always switch off even when still receiving current?

Probably have to try the maplin intermittant wiper relay switch on its own, to see how long the pulses , if they can be set long, the squirter wont be a problem.

P.S. theres no multiplexing nonsense on an Aygo is there? other wise you cant do anything.

Hi all

you need two regular relays, one interval relay (I used one from golf mk2) and app. 100 cm of wire. Connect new wire to minus trigger pulse wire near windshield fluid bottle (impulse comes from main wipers switch).

Once connected pull wire through engine compartment to come somewhere between driver door and pedals. Open lower plastic cover near driver door and instrument panel and find light green color wire (this wire send signal from wipers switch to rear wiper motor) Cut this wire.

On new wire you set, connect relay to change from negative trigger to positive trigger. Now you have positive trigger impulse (on is when wiper switch is in position for washing rear window end upper position on switch or end rear position of switch)

Now connect impulse relay (my is from golf 2 and needs positive trigger) to positive trigger relay you installed.

Find impulse out on interval relay (this is now positive trigger). Once you find and you are sure that works every 4-5 seconds (check with simple tester) connect second regular relay to change again polarity from positive to negative (wiper motor is on negative trigger impulse).

On the end connect this to light green wire to rear motor wiper. There is no more “on” function wiper will work same in interval as on VW Golf MK2 or MK3.

Switch works only on command for washing for on/off.

On my aygo works nice!!!

hi

and thanks for the reply, I thought this topic was dead in the water, though I need some time to digest some of the instructions, not sure which terminals to use on either rely, and though I see you used a VW relay what did you use for the first neg to pos trigger?

May need to ask some other questions once I look at my car, but certainly sounds promising

If you were to use an intermittant wiper relay in parallel with an interior light delay switch then you should be able to get the result that turning on the rear wiper

it would wipe constant for 3 or 4 seconds then go intermittant there after. If turned on then off you would get 3 or 4 wipes. If you were to use the rear window squirter then you would always get a 3 or 4 second blast but then thats no diferent to Citroens or Peugoets (not C1, 107, eg C4,307,308 etc with everything controlled through the central computer and having a multiplexed wiring loom)

Hmm, need right delay switch though, one that can be set to always switch off even when still receiving current?

Probably have to try the maplin intermittant wiper relay switch on its own, to see how long the pulses , if they can be set long, the squirter wont be a problem.

P.S. theres no multiplexing nonsense on an Aygo is there? other wise you cant do anything.

Hi Geezbeez

Is this something you have fitted and had working?

Not something Id be interested in doing myself, as have not noticed a problem with the rear window.

Actually prefer it the way it is to be honest, have all that on my other car, a Citroen, and actually find it annoying.

Mind, on Citroen if you turn the front wipers on and off then select reverse within a few seconds it actually decided to turn on the rear wiper for you , being helpful like. That annoys the hell out of me, if you accidentally clip the wiper stalk, (front wipers) when reversing you get rear wipers and usually a smudge. You then need to mess about finding the rear wiper squirter, use that, which is rubbish and needs a good few seconds to clear the window again so you can continue reversing.

Not wanting to upset you but I think Ill make a note not to fit a rear spoiler knowing now it will assist in fouling the rear window.

As I mentioned in December, I'm working on a PROGRAMMABLE interval for the

rear wiper. I've been working with someone else for the last couple of weeks

and I have a working prototype in my car as we speak (write)...

We're going to produce a small series of them, but would need to work out

a way to et them to the UK, as fitting them requires either modifying the

stalk-switch or the wiring to the switch.

The latter should be quite easy if you're handy and would allow for just the

projectbox with wiring to be mailed to you, so you can wire it in yourself.

Wiring would involve snipping one wire, connecting

two wires to the ends and tapping in three other wires.

We're having PCB's made professionaly, so it 'll take at

least a month before we can get them ready for shipping...

Hi Jan

This sounds like you have done all the hard work, I would take one of these from you when you have them ready, I can find my way around wiring with the right instructions, not up to your standard, but as you say 'handy'

keep in touch and let me know when and how.

regards

You might want to have a look at this thumbsup.gif

Try Here:

Hi Looked at this item but wanted to keep the always on as well as intermittent,

wanted my cake and eat it :yahoo:

Put me down for one once you've cracked it :D

OK, you want the always on too? Like hard to please.

If you leave the original wiring in but run in parrallel, a latching relay in series with an intermittent wiper relay.

A latching relay is one that switches on and off with a pulse so :- If you wired this up if you turned the rear wiper on and off, when back off it would be intermitant until you turned the wipers on and off again then they would be off.

I expect theres 2 lives to the wiper , a perminent and a switched otherwise it would not have a return function.

You just need to find the switching wire under the dash, a perminent live on the same fuse and an earth and connect the 2 relays in between , no circuit board , no soldering or anything, the 2 fancy relays, 6 spade connectors and I think 4 of those press on connectors for splitting off wires. Dont think you could do it at the back unless you can fit the relays under the head lining. You dont mess with the switch. You dont need to run a new set of wires to the wiper. Might need a standard cheap 3 pin relays as well to prevent +ve feedback, like so the output cant activate the input.

Im pretty sure this would do what you want, anyone understand???

Kind of like this:

Thanks geezbeez the diagram helped make things a little clearer, I need to go and look at my car and see if I can find the wires you talk of otherwise its going to be a non starter.

never seen of a latching relay in the shops, any thoughts as to where to obtain such a beast?

Do some random searches like "ford latching relay", "renault wiper relay" etc etc and find some cars that actually have them then go to a scrap yard and fill your pockets from the appropriate models fuse box ;) Search for automotive latching relay to find out if its what you want.

P.S Did the daigram very quick so didnt varify it in every single way, but so long as you get the general idea you should be able to work out the logic.

With relays the idea is the control live is isolated from the power live.

P.S.2. You can remove the cover from the rear wiper motor by squeezing it on the sides and pulling back on the top edge. You should see the connector has 3 wires, I know cos I lifted it off when cleaning back window. Its a bit harder to put back on cos of way clamps to motor but not hard.

I am guessing these are perm live switched live and earth, you need to check that with a volt meter. If Im not right on this then its back to drawing board, but cant see any other way it could be. actually a little space under the wiper cover (think) if use modern micro components might all squeeze under the wiper motor cover ????? but doubt it.

As I mentioned earlier, the rear wiper is switched on the NEGATIVE leads.

So it has +12V and ground plus a SWITCHED negative from the wiper switch.

The system I'm working on HAS both continuous and intermittent,

with the latter being programmable between roughly 3 and 30 seconds.

When you switch on the wiper it starts wiping continously. switch it off after more than 2 seconds (2 wipes) and wait

untill you need it again (within 30 seconds), then switch it on and leave it on, the time it was off now is your interval.

Turn it off by turning off the switch. Want a shorter interval? Turn it off and on again at the new timing.

Turning it on again after being off for more than 30 seconds returns to continous.

The number of wipes for the interval can be set by DIP-switch to one or 2 wipes

(I use 2, since the second pass does most of the work in my experience)

As an added bonus we're also providing the system with some intelligence to make the wiper do some passes

on its own when using the washer. So no switching back and forth between wash and wipe and off anymore!

Turning on the washer starts a 2 second delay (to get the fluid on the rear glass), then wipes as long as

you hold the washer on. After releasing the wiper stays active for 4 or 8 seconds, selectable by DIP-switch.

I hope to be able to shoot and edit some video this week, which I'll put up on Youtube.

And as I said: we won't be able to deliver ANY for at least a month...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links