Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Loss, Newbie, No Fault Codes Or Errors

bashman40

Hi guys I’m a newbie on here just wanted to introduce myself and ask a question he behalf of a family member. I hope i enjoy my stay with this community.

I personally own a VW and a Skyline and don’t know much about Toyotas. I’m stuck with a problem on my sister in laws 2006 rav4 160 BHP. The car is suffering from lose of power seem to be very little turbo kick in or maybe none, so i have had it plugged in a local garage they use the snap on diagnostic equipment and funny enough there was no faults so the mechanic disconnected the MAP sensor on top of the air box (made the engine management light come up) and tryed it which didn’t make a difference so the MAP sensor was connected back up and all faults were erased using the diagnostic equipment. When driving away the car after this it was back to normal with all the normal power. I assumed it was just probably a bad connection but a day later the same problem occurred i have cleaned the connections to the sensor with electrical contact cleaner but this hasn’t made a difference.

Wanted to know of anyone else has had the same problem if so what was done to cure it? Also what tests can be performed to work out if the MAP sensor is faulty or not?

look forward to your replys thanks

Hi guys I’m a newbie on here just wanted to introduce myself and ask a question he behalf of a family member. I hope i enjoy my stay with this community.

I personally own a VW and a Skyline and don’t know much about Toyotas. I’m stuck with a problem on my sister in laws 2006 rav4 160 BHP. The car is suffering from lose of power seem to be very little turbo kick in or maybe none, so i have had it plugged in a local garage they use the snap on diagnostic equipment and funny enough there was no faults so the mechanic disconnected the MAP sensor on top of the air box (made the engine management light come up) and tryed it which didn’t make a difference so the MAP sensor was connected back up and all faults were erased using the diagnostic equipment. When driving away the car after this it was back to normal with all the normal power. I assumed it was just probably a bad connection but a day later the same problem occurred i have cleaned the connections to the sensor with electrical contact cleaner but this hasn’t made a difference.

Wanted to know of anyone else has had the same problem if so what was done to cure it? Also what tests can be performed to work out if the MAP sensor is faulty or not?

look forward to your replys thanks

hello

any vibration when accelerated on 1st-2nd gears?

cheers/Igor

Welcome to the club.

I take it you are talking about a petrol? Even though there are no faults recorded, it could well be the MAF sensor as they sometimes get sooted up and the ECU still sees continuity in the circuit. Take it off and clean it with carb cleaner and see if that improves it.

Good luck

It’s not petrol it’s a diesel, I thinks it’s a VVTI, D-CAT well something along the lines but defiantly a diesel

It’s not petrol it’s a diesel, I thinks it’s a VVTI, D-CAT well something along the lines but defiantly a diesel

hello mate

do not miss VVT-i and D-cat

It is better to send a photo.

Cheers/Igor

You really need to give us the details. To my knowledge there is no 160bhp 2006 diesel unless somebody has been playing.

The symptoms you describe are not unlike those of faulty SCVs when applied to a diesel.

sorry lads i must be mistaken maybe its says 150 in bed on the back not 160. its a 2006, rav 4, 2.2 D-CAT, diesel . Is that enough details? what does SCVs stand for?? so what does it sound like?

Its a 180.

In that case probably not SCVs (Suction Control Valves). They don't normally give those kind of problems so I would start with fuel and air filters then maybe clean out the EGR valve.

Thanks for the reply anchorman, must be a 180 then sorry for the confusion. The fuel and air filter have been changed decently i double checked them and all seals on the fuel filter seem to be ok. I will check out the EGR valve once i work out where it is and what it looks like? Where does it live? :unsure:

thanks just had a quick noise and seems like a possible solution. il have a play once the ice clears up

check out my question the other day, with the same issue. I was told to rev the engine high up a hill and this worked!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Have a read at this;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...st&p=929641

That plastic cover on the engine just pops off and the EGR valve is just on the exhaust manifold near the radiator. Be sure to read on until you get to shcm's post.

iv just cleaned out the EGV Valve and reved it high also and i still have the problem? any other solutions?

Have a read at this;

That plastic cover on the engine just pops off and the EGR valve is just on the exhaust manifold near the radiator. Be sure to read on until you get to shcm's post.

iv just cleaned out the EGV Valve and reved it high also and i still have the problem? any other solutions?

hi again

the problems chain contains more twos: poor injection and turbocharged clogged with carbon deposits.

In casce yr turbocharges has a variable vanes -- then ther problem might be there -- the vanes driving mechanism + joints must be flexible to react on each engine load )your gas pedal). The poor injection the more carbon deposits. Cheers/Igor

If disconnecting the MAF meter made no difference to the poor power, it might be worth revisiting. The 4.3 manual only shows how to test it with the Toyota diagnostic equipment so just take it out (2 screws) and look if the wire is clean. This test is for a 4.2 so don't expect exactly the same values but they should give you a guide as to whether there is continuity etc. If it is clogged up you can get MAF cleaner or any carb cleaner will do the same. Do not get it on your clothes and if you use carb cleaner make sure it is compatible with plastic - some will melt it.

MAF_test.pdf

Have a read at this;

hi again

the problems chain contains more twos: poor injection and turbocharged clogged with carbon deposits.

In casce yr turbocharges has a variable vanes -- then ther problem might be there -- the vanes driving mechanism + joints must be flexible to react on each engine load )your gas pedal). The poor injection the more carbon deposits. Cheers/Igor

Thanks for the replies guys, do you think injector cleaner mite help?

Is there any diagram or guides? on my turbo and how to clean out the turbo charges variable vanes.

What turbo does the 180 BHP have?

thank you

If disconnecting the MAF meter made no difference to the poor power, it might be worth revisiting. The 4.3 manual only shows how to test it with the Toyota diagnostic equipment so just take it out (2 screws) and look if the wire is clean. This test is for a 4.2 so don't expect exactly the same values but they should give you a guide as to whether there is continuity etc. If it is clogged up you can get MAF cleaner or any carb cleaner will do the same. Do not get it on your clothes and if you use carb cleaner make sure it is compatible with plastic - some will melt it.

MAF_test.pdf

i have already cleaned the MAF with electrical cleaner, i dont have access to a tester so mite swap it for a verso with the same engine, that mite give me a idea?

Have a read at this;

hi again

Thanks for the replies guys, do you think injector cleaner mite help?

Is there any diagram or guides? on my turbo and how to clean out the turbo charges variable vanes.

What turbo does the 180 BHP have?

thank you

hello bashman40

re - injectors cleaner -- i do not conside that is good idea unless to see an injection jet quality on the fuel stand. The injector nozzle tip consists of niddle valve and case that are precision parts. For sure both are in contact to fire in the cylinder resulting carbon deposits originating on the tip edge + leading to a bad shape of injection jet. You have to conside that the needle contacts the case seat in a thin circle spot line and during operation + influence of high temp + sulphur in the diesel ---- this contact circle line is being become wider resulting reducing of contact pressure between both parts + this leads to some diesel leaks + resulting poor injection quality + resulting more carbon in the end of working process etc etc etc.......

The first unit that collects this carbon is your turbocharger. The data of this turbocharger might be sticked on its body as the name plate.

Cheers/Igor

Thanks for your patience with this one guys. So i should start with cleaning out the carbon in the turbocharger then, where on the turbo charger goes this carbon build up?

I’ve had a read around on this forum and can see some other members have had similar problems and they have cleaned the SCVs (Suction Control Valves) where is this on a 2006 VVTI, D-CAT diesel 180 BHP any pictures or guides? :unsure:

WE've never had SCVs go on a 4.3. Has this car stored any codes?

ok so its not the SCV's, so its down to cleaning out the turbo then well any sort of guide where and how to clear to turbo , what part of the turbo do we get the problem?

ok so its not the SCV's, so its down to cleaning out the turbo then well any sort of guide where and how to clear to turbo , what part of the turbo do we get the problem?

Not sure that is going to be so easy either but wait until I'm back at my desktop and I'll see what I can find.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links