Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting Boost Gauge?

MattMR2Turbo

Right, I'm getting a boost gauge tonight, so need to know where to plumb it in.

Also, what's the maximum safe boost I can run on a fairly standard rev3 turbo?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Tee in to the small black box labled turbo pressure sensor at the back of the manifold, there a pipe that comes out of the bottom of it.

You should be able to run 17psi with no worries.

matt :thumbsup:

erm .. was going to say exactly the same as Matt ..

Maybe if I delete his post - I'll look more helpful .. :hokus-pokus:

man I should be moderator as well, sharpe a a pointy thing me - whats the pay like Bibbs, do they do it on an hourly rate or is it per post!!!!!

Pay is great mate .. I've finalised the plans for the Yacht . Only 2 Helicopter landing pads mind .. don't want to be to OTT ..

15/16 on a rev1/2 car and 17 on a rev3+ should be fine..... Just be carefull when you accelerate to overtake someone, When I upped the boost on a car it changed so much I nearly hit the car in front before i'd started to steer round it!!!

Also, what's the maximum safe boost I can run on a fairly standard rev3 turbo?

Ahh Im raising boost to 16psi on my rev4. Imo 17 is a weee bit too close to pushing stuff too far. Sure the engine can hack it but the clutch wont last long at all+ fuel consumption will be cack. And you dont want to be shelling out £400 on em every now and then do ye? 16psi will give you the most significant gain without straining anything (this is after researchin loads on rev3+ stock limits). After that every psi is no longer going to give you 10bhp 16lb/ft itll be prolly half as there will be too much heat generated so theres no point until you get an uprated intercooler. Its all about reliability.

I feel 17psi would only be acceptable if you were installing a ecu like the Dastek as it would then still retain its economy and the boost and fueliing will be carefully set and mapped(also any problems will be clearly identified). A bleed valve will do none of this so its a bit risky increasing boost significantly using that method.

Get a de-cat pipe and a zorst as well..it will allow the turbo to spool much more freely and this will have the effect of reducing the temeratures that would otherwise be generated by a cat and tiny zorst giving you an even further reliable power output. It will feel awsome after that + 3psi :thumbsup:

Oh and you should get the G-Valve imo its much better than what your using. Matt has some new uns in stock dont ye matt?

IMHO opinion 17-18psi with an exhaust + intake is fine......BUT obviously on a really hot day you wouldn't want to hard out boost around but normally It will love it.

I have a friend who ran 1.3bar all day everyday with NO issues what so ever for over a year. I haven't heard of anyone with a gen III MR2 running into any issues running them like that.....the fuel + fuel maps are there, intake is much better and as Pizza boy mentioned cooling is the only thing to keep in mind and common sense should apply there. Wind it up and enjoy it!! :D Invest in an dual stage ebc then you can have peice of mind running 14psi all day every day + hit the hi buttom when someone wnats a go ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

BUT obviously on a really hot day

Not been to the UK then Kiwi ?? They don't have them over here ..

Now hang on bibbs, I pretty sure I remember it was warm enough to take off my jumper for a couple of days last yr....maybe even 3 days!!!

heh heh .. still not as nice as down there mate .. my old man had a 924 turbo and took it to Perth .. ran like poo - he needed to replace all the intercooling (to RX7 I think) just to keep it running to German spec.

Not been to the UK then Kiwi ?? They don't have them over here ..

Nope :( got a sis-in law over in London at the moment + my missus and her family are heading over to visit here & do some site seeing in about September. I suppose it ain't much better here, SUPPOSED to be summer here yet it's peeing down outside + there's a nice cold arctic southerly accompanying the rain ;)

analysis.gif

I hardly ever use my 17 psi setting....find either I just don't need to OR I can't find anything worthy of the increase.....damn cops everywhere :(

I have family in Perth....went over for a 21st a year or two back....REALLY REALLY hot, credit cards melting in your wallet kinda hot....REALLY sux for turbo cars!!

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I'm out there in a month .. for 3 weeks ..

Really......what city you comming to??

On a side note I woke up this morning to the radio saying that roads are closed and people are being evacuated etc etc....seems like freakish storm weather causing flooding etc. Som much for summer :rolleyes:

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Not out to NZ mate - off to Perth .. need to find out what I can buy out there cheap and take back?

(aunty lives in ChristChurch though)

Not out to NZ mate - off to Perth .. need to find out what I can buy out there cheap and take back?

(aunty lives in ChristChurch though)

Christchurch....get's mighty cold down there!! well compared to the North island that is...probably no where near what you chaps heve to put up with.

We get BBC here at like mid-night every night and funny enough a report on the storm I talked about 2 posts up came on.....ended up being quite bad actully.....worst we have had here for YEARS, had to be to make it on BBC.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Hi all,

I got a double Greddy A pillar pod yesterday so I'm all ready for my guages :thumbsup:

I'm gonna get a 60mm Greddy boost gauge and I'm thinking the best thing to out in the spare hole will be an oil temp gauge? What do you reckon?

I've already got a custom exhaust and decat so should be ok :thumbsup:

Hi all,

I got a double Greddy A pillar pod yesterday so I'm all ready for my guages :thumbsup:

I'm gonna get a 60mm Greddy boost gauge and I'm thinking the best thing to out in the spare hole will be an oil temp gauge? What do you reckon?

I've already got a custom exhaust and decat so should be ok :thumbsup:

Sounds sweet...Iv'e got a peak and hold electronic Greddy 60mm gauge and I LOVE it...also have a greddy single gauge hold custom molded into the factory a-pillar. Something for you to think about....you might be able to do the same with the double and then sell it after it's molded into the factory a-piller.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

17 is fine, when a unichip is installed they'll run it at either 18 or 19psi, depending on if it detonates at 19, then it'll be run at 18

Yea I think I'm going to consider moulding it in. It fits well now as it is but there are raised edges from it.

I'm going to get the normal 60mm Greddy boost gauge, seen a good one on eBay. Will be getting an oil temperature gauge for the spare place :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links