Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Much Power...

mattmr2

Just thought I'd put this to you guys to see what you think, I feel there must be a certain point in tuning a turbo when the power takes over the fun aspect..... I know a guy who's running between 400-450bhp but his turbo doesn't kick in until 4500rpm. Great on a drag strip but is that a good fun car, surely you have to rag the ***** off it to get any performance out of it. You'd never hit boost round town and if you did you'd probably just hit the person in front of you!!! Is there anyway of killing this kind of turbo lag???

I recon for the MK2 300 at the wheels is a good comprimise, It would be fun for everyday use and round the track, and would still be impressive in straight line....

so then what do you guys think?

Matt.

I dont know about 2's but why such a lag... he must have a huge turbo on that. What profile cams has he got.... hmmm

Im guessing u cant have too much power lol!!!!

If I got to 300bhp, then I would be happy.

There is a point where it'll become undriveable.. and like you said.. not fun.

Especially because the MR2 is rwd !

A while back I was considering a bigger turbo etc. etc... but I'm not gonna bother anymore. ( I'll leave that until I get the supra... doh ! :) )

A way to bin lag ?? VERY EASY !!

NO2 .. use it as anti-lag .. and it helps spool the turbo quicker too ..

i'm interested in installing an NO2 system too when i get my MR2 (got money sorted out today and gonna buy one this saturday). What shot would you reccommend Bibbs? Has anyone ever installed one on their MR2? It looks pretty simple from the few websites I've seen and could be a good DIY job me thinks if done properly.

From what I can gather around the net, the general concensus is that 350hp max is the point where the car turns from being fun to drive to being a bit of a pig.

What shot would you reccommend Bibbs?

Not a clue mate .. I know very little about NO2 ..

I know there is Wet/Dry and direct ..

Dry for NA's .. Wet for Turbo's .. Direct port for the rich.

And the "shot" bhp is not relative to the actual bhp gains (usually about 75% of the shot).

I'd want it mapped and progressive, so it phases out as the T88 spools and then you have it on a switch for the VERY high revs ..

i'm interested in installing an NO2 system too when i get my MR2 (got money sorted out today and gonna buy one this saturday). What shot would you reccommend Bibbs? Has anyone ever installed one on their MR2? It looks pretty simple from the few websites I've seen and could be a good DIY job me thinks if done properly.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...ST&f=23&t=9798&

Check that link out... the guy knows what he is on about.. and tell him i sent ya and should do you a cheaper deal... :thumbsup:

Im still in 2 minds if im gonna go for it.. but i suppose i need to get a Tubbie first.. :huh: :P

thanx mate! very useful site, looks like we're both in the same boat! I'm not so sure i wanna get one yet either because iv'e heard its illegal to even have it installed in the UK (?) ....and course i need to get a turbo first too :drool:

The question is would you use NO2 on a daily basis, the answer is probably no, so does that take the fun element out of it, how would be best to trigger it? what other ways are there of getting minimal turbo lag at fairly high boost?

Bibbs how does it help spool up, isn't that down to the amount/velocity of exhaust gasses. Does it make it all burn quicker to produce more gas?

I wonder if there would be any benifit in using a supercharger to spool up the turbo at idle, you'd have the initial drain of the supercharger but you'd have instant full on power, which would be cool. i'm sure its been done on a MK1 but i don't know if it was a success.

very good question for the topic btw! :yes:

I think the answer is a very individual thing to be honest....

for me... too much power is when ur stuck in a traffic jam or long queue of slow moving traffic and you can't use any of the power you've got :lol:

seriously though... enough power for me would be to overtake with ease and to give cars with a reputation a damn good run for their money without stating too obviously what your car is or what it can do.

(I like 'sleepers' rather than 'screamers' - reason: don't like to draw attention to myself, don't like making loud exhaust noises etc etc, if im in town and my music's a bit loud I turn it down ... i'm that sort of boring guy.)

sam

I wonder if there would be any benifit in using a supercharger to spool up the turbo at idle, you'd have the initial drain of the supercharger but you'd have instant full on power, which would be cool. i'm sure its been done on a MK1 but i don't know if it was a success.

Not worth the drama.....really difficult to get working properly...IF you were gonna do one of the 2 NOS would be a cheaper, easier way to go.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Bibbs how does it help spool up, isn't that down to the amount/velocity of exhaust gasses. Does it make it all burn quicker to produce more gas?

Believe so .. cause you add more fuel with the NO2 it means your exhaust gasses must be a larger volume (same amount of air and petrol + NO2 + More petrol)

It's VERY hard to get setup right .. and for the price .. NO2 is better .. and then when you have phased it out .. you can have it on a switch to use it again when on full boost ;)

Isn't NO2 harmful to the engine though, I thought it caused everything to burn faster and hotter - surely this will fu*k things up after time. The thing I do like about NOS is the fact that you can turn it on and off, it would be fun sat at the lights with some nova boys!!!!

Isn't NO2 harmful to the engine though, I thought it caused everything to burn faster and hotter - surely this will fu*k things up after time. The thing I do like about NOS is the fact that you can turn it on and off, it would be fun sat at the lights with some nova boys!!!!

true theres no sucj thing as a free lunch, but from all the research ive done, it does seem that NOS isnt as harmful nowadays as people still believe it was in the early days.

technology advances and all that :thumbsup:

wouldnt abuse it tho,....but with that little switch infront of you,.............. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links