Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Time To Invade The General Section Again

dave.m

Bump, for anyone who has missed this.

80 odd views and only 17 votes, c'mon people, though we are just in the lead :)

One third of all forum users are driving RAV4s... wow! In the lead by some margin :thumbsup:

Voted. Been away for 18 months P/x 06 rav for 57 landcruiser lc4. saw new landcruiser at local dealer & asked

how much to p/x. £21000 was the answer £20000 for mine + £21000 = £41000 ! so we decided we could make do with rav

£150 tax + 40mpg + under £3000 to change. much nicer on road but not as much towing capacity or space for holiday

But i only have 4 weeks holiday per year so prepared to compromise. i thought when snow came this year wev'e had it

but it performed as well as landcruiser did last feb :yahoo:

Voted. Been away for 18 months P/x 06 rav for 57 landcruiser lc4. saw new landcruiser at local dealer & asked

how much to p/x. £21000 was the answer £20000 for mine + £21000 = £41000 ! so we decided we could make do with rav

£150 tax + 40mpg + under £3000 to change. much nicer on road but not as much towing capacity or space for holiday

But i only have 4 weeks holiday per year so prepared to compromise. i thought when snow came this year wev'e had it

but it performed as well as landcruiser did last feb :yahoo:

Welcome back to the darkside :thumbsup:

Voted when that poll first came on.....

Secretly we are the better Sub forum.... more members :D :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

Bumped up again, for new members :thumbsup:

Does it make you wonder why there are so many more RAV owners than anything else on here... do we have more problems (with our cars!) ??!

Does it make you wonder why there are so many more RAV owners than anything else on here... do we have more problems (with our cars!) ??!

I'm sure its more to do with the breadth of knowledge offered here - from music between dave.m and fuji et al, through to the wise words of a Lancashire taxi driver; the flair of a young chap called hoovie; and the train driving skills of ancs and duncerduncs. Oh and the quality of info and experience with RAVs.

Try having a look at some of the landrover forums to see the range of problems posting!!

And then theres the off topic banter and the fact that in a recent poll, 2 rav forum activist didn't get elected to the mudgerators position due to embarrassment at the lack of interest from other sub-forii (truth oot the noo!) :lol: This rate we'll be taking over the world...???? :P

I'm sure its more to do with the breadth of knowledge offered here - from music between dave.m and fuji et al, through to the wise words of a Lancashire taxi driver; the flair of a young chap called hoovie; and the train driving skills of ancs and duncerduncs. Oh and the quality of info and experience with RAVs.

Try having a look at some of the landrover forums to see the range of problems posting!!

Make no mistake: I joined this forum recently to try and source information about this strange 4x4 beast I have bought. Through other interests I subsbscribe to forums for Flight simulator and preserved railway topics (I know, I know: sad, isn't it!) and most uselessly of all the Pug cc forum. What do I find on them? Boasting, flaming, illiteracy, innaccurate info - you know as well as I do what most of these places are like. The more transatlantic they are, the worse they seem to be. There is no doubt at all that the tolerance of dumb newbie questions, the quality of the information and the courtesy and easy familiarity here are exceptional and to be treasured. Thank you - all of you!

I did see a posting the other day that concerned me as it, correctly, pointed out that one tends to come across a lot of problem related postings and therefore the first impression about RAVs could be negative. I am thinking of the diesel problems in particular. I have driven Peugeot diesels exclusively fo over 15 years till now because of their economy and bomb proof relaibility. The impression I have formed of the Toyota diesel from here is not good. DMFs, suction valves and all sorts of very expensive traps for the unwary etc. Are these majority or minority issues? If the latter how do we present a balanced picture to avoid giving a false impression? Secondly, a lot of the time the little issues we newbies raise are easily managed thanks to the good advice given. Let us all take a moment or two to post back to say how we got on fixing things as it will help others keep things in proportion and by knowing that a solution did work, have the confidence to pass the knowledge on. I look forward to the time when I might be able to offer answers as well as continue to ask questions.

End of waffle and on with the positives: If any of you need a good cheap RAV tinkering independent garagist around northern Dartmoor, I can heartily recommend one. Possibly more usefully, the next time you are travelling on the A30 west of Exeter and see a demented driver of a Landie kicking the flibbets out of his failed steed at the side of the road we have a very good fixer of those round here too :P I leave it to you as to whether he is very busy because there are a lot of Landies round here or the ones that are here all break down. I think they may not be QUITE as bad as you make them out to be ;)

Cheers

Mike D

PS: Just think: the better the impression of RAVs we create here, the better the demand for them and so the better our residuals. Now ain't that a thought?

I did see a posting the other day that concerned me as it, correctly, pointed out that one tends to come across a lot of problem related postings and therefore the first impression about RAVs could be negative. I am thinking of the diesel problems in particular. I have driven Peugeot diesels exclusively fo over 15 years till now because of their economy and bomb proof relaibility. The impression I have formed of the Toyota diesel from here is not good. DMFs, suction valves and all sorts of very expensive traps for the unwary etc. Are these majority or minority issues? If the latter how do we present a balanced picture to avoid giving a false impression? Secondly, a lot of the time the little issues we newbies raise are easily managed thanks to the good advice given. Let us all take a moment or two to post back to say how we got on fixing things as it will help others keep things in proportion and by knowing that a solution did work, have the confidence to pass the knowledge on. I look forward to the time when I might be able to offer answers as well as continue to ask questions.

Cheers

Mike D

PS: Just think: the better the impression of RAVs we create here, the better the demand for them and so the better our residuals. Now ain't that a thought?

There was a good thread with a poll attached a couple of years back, it had various Rav problems owners had

experienced and could give numbers of said faults at a glance. If I remember what it was called I will bump it

back up again. :thumbsup:

Make no mistake: I joined this forum recently to try and source information about this strange 4x4 beast I have bought. Through other interests I subsbscribe to forums for Flight simulator and preserved railway topics (I know, I know: sad, isn't it!) and most uselessly of all the Pug cc forum. What do I find on them? Boasting, flaming, illiteracy, innaccurate info - you know as well as I do what most of these places are like. The more transatlantic they are, the worse they seem to be. There is no doubt at all that the tolerance of dumb newbie questions, the quality of the information and the courtesy and easy familiarity here are exceptional and to be treasured. Thank you - all of you!

End of waffle and on with the positives: If any of you need a good cheap RAV tinkering independent garagist around northern Dartmoor, I can heartily recommend one. Possibly more usefully, the next time you are travelling on the A30 west of Exeter and see a demented driver of a Landie kicking the flibbets out of his failed steed at the side of the road we have a very good fixer of those round here too :P I leave it to you as to whether he is very busy because there are a lot of Landies round here or the ones that are here all break down. I think they may not be QUITE as bad as you make them out to be ;)

Cheers

Mike D

Mike

It is a good point and one that has been made on numerous occasions and that is - it is a fact that many peole find this forum solely because they have "googled" their problem after being disappointed that they have suffered some kind of vehicle fault. There is no doubt that the opinion can be influenced by such problems and that it can give an unbalanced negative view. It is hard to quantify this though and we may never know what the truth is but I suspect that the ratio of problems to trouble free vehicles is disproportionately high within the forum but in reality these vehicles are generally reliable.

This is a very pleasing post and very kind words as there are some people that will take a lot of time to try and help out and I'm sure I echo their comments when I say it is nice to be appreciated - thank you. On the flip side of that, as a moderator I get to know of some of the problems the other mods have to deal with in looking after the other forums. I have seen arguments, desputes and outbursts of a personal nature aimed squarly and unjustly at the mod for doing nothing more than trying to do their job (although fortunately it isn't common). We don't seem to get that at all and enjoy a combination of problem solving, debate and good fun. Why? I don't know but even when somebody is frustrated at their vehicle or the circumstances they are in we manage to keep it civil and that is a reflection of how good hearted and respectable everyone is and I thank everyone for making my life easy.

Regards.

Cheers

Mike D

Mike

It is a good point and one that has been made on numerous occasions and that is - it is a fact that many peole find this forum solely because they have "googled" their problem after being disappointed that they have suffered some kind of vehicle fault. There is no doubt that the opinion can be influenced by such problems and that it can give an unbalanced negative view. It is hard to quantify this though and we may never know what the truth is but I suspect that the ratio of problems to trouble free vehicles is disproportionately high within the forum but in reality these vehicles are generally reliable.

This is a very pleasing post and very kind words as there are some people that will take a lot of time to try and help out and I'm sure I echo their comments when I say it is nice to be appreciated - thank you. On the flip side of that, as a moderator I get to know of some of the problems the other mods have to deal with in looking after the other forums. I have seen arguments, desputes and outbursts of a personal nature aimed squarly and unjustly at the mod for doing nothing more than trying to do their job (although fortunately it isn't common). We don't seem to get that at all and enjoy a combination of problem solving, debate and good fun. Why? I don't know but even when somebody is frustrated at their vehicle or the circumstances they are in we manage to keep it civil and that is a reflection of how good hearted and respectable everyone is and I thank everyone for making my life easy.

Regards.

ancs - keep driving the trains - it must be soothing or something.

on the landie thing the 3 ton lump of scrap I bought unfortunately came from not too far from Bristol....!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links