Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight Blanking

pjtynan

Hi all,

I have a 2008 Rav 4 which I am going abroad with and wondered if anybody has had problems masking off the headlights with tape.

I read that tape adhesive can affect the perspex headlight unit when hot.

In the past I have masked headlights off with black tape but the headlights were glass.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards pjtynan

I have had no problems using black electrical insulation tape (B&Q). I have used it for a few weeks each year since I bought the car in 2004, both in cold, wet and very hot conditions. The slight residue left when you remove it comes off with normal meths and it does not appear to affect the plastic on my car.

Rgds

Ian

I bought the proper things when I went to Germany and I couldn't get the glue off without a lot of fiddling. Last time I went I didn't bother.

BTW - welcome to the club.

Mine's a 2007 model so probably the same as yours. I regularly travel to the European mainland and don't do anything to adjust the headlamp beam. Older style beams slanted upwards on the left but the RAV headlights do not or hardly at all so I see no need. I usually turn them down a little bit using the control wheel-thingie in the cab just to be on the safe side, and I think it must be OK because I have never seen flashes of irritation from oncoming traffic.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. Last year I used headlight protectors with the tape on but I am not very keen.

PS. I read on another forum that in 2008 the French police were checking cars coming off the ferry at Calais for headlight deflectors even in daylight, so just be wary. I don't use ferries but have never seen anybody checking at The Shuttle.

Regards pjtynan

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. Last year I used headlight protectors with the tape on but I am not very keen.

PS. I read on another forum that in 2008 the French police were checking cars coming off the ferry at Calais for headlight deflectors even in daylight, so just be wary. I don't use ferries but have never seen anybody checking at The Shuttle.

Regards pjtynan

Morning chap,

Never had that check made on our frequent trips via Plymouth-Roscoff or Poole-Cherbourg.

Mike D

from a very snowy Dartmoor

post-87663-1262775427_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I have had no problems using black electrical insulation tape (B&Q). I have used it for a few weeks each year since I bought the car in 2004, both in cold, wet and very hot conditions. The slight residue left when you remove it comes off with normal meths and it does not appear to affect the plastic on my car.

Rgds

Ian

Hi all, I had my RAV abroad for a year working in different countries and during the whole time had diy headlamp blanks made up from black insulation tape. I got a print out with the correct positioning from the dealer and off I went. Even after a year with the same tape on, it all came off ok. I guess that the type of tape might also make a difference - in this case the cheaper the better, since the glue is not as good. :thumbsup:

Hi everyone,

I think the beam deflectors that are supposed to be the correct item to use when travelling in Europe are a complete rip off at around £6 - £7.oo per set.

It would be great if someone could post the correct size and position of the insulation tape blanks. Certainly save me a few pounds on my next trip :thumbsup:

Here are the details for a 4.2 perhaps someone can post them for a 4.3 then pin it for reference

Toyota gave me the following info:

You need to mask off a rectangle on each headlight which is 95mm Long (Horizontal) and 43mm high (vertical) approx

Locate the center of focus of the headlight which is marked with a circular mark in the headlight (roughly central)

Now the each rectangle wants its longest side to be horizontal and have its top right corner on this circular mark.

(ie each rectangle is to the bottom left of the circular mark)

I have found that two strips of 22mm wide black Insulation tape (B&Q) cut 95mm long is the easiest way of making this rectangle.

Use a spirit level to get the rectangle level, it can take a couple of goes to get a neat rectangle :-)

If you have any glue left on the headlight after removing the tape, I have found a dab of Meths removes it without affecting the plastic.

Ian

Hi I have taken my 07 T180 to France/Spain/Germany. I have always bought the proper beam deflectors. They are cheap enough to buy on eBay - see link. when it comes time to remove them just peel them off and a little sqirt of WD 40 removes any residue easliy! The Continental cops are getting pretty hot with this whether night or day. Don't risk it. Also remeber the Hi Viz waistcoats for every passenger in the car too. Instant fines are being doled out now!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEADLAMP-BEAM-DEFLEC...=item2ea6c1f9b6

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links