Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Core Plugs - Mk2 3s-ge?

JappyBeast

Massive problem with my MR2 at the moment.

It has been stuck at the bottom of my drive for 2 days due to the snow. I attempted to move her today and halfway up the drive I noticed that the temp guage was high and no hot air from the blowers. I got out and there is a brown puddle in the snow where she was stood.

To me this looks like the coolant has froze in the night?

Does anyone know if it is likely to be a core plug pushed out or would a pipe have come off?

How hard to get to the core plugs and how many?

Any pointers would be good.

If its only a core plug/s or radiator that has gone you may be lucky but you'll not find out until you try an fill the coolant system and hunt for leaks. Water hoses in reasonably good nick tend to swell and stretch if the coolant freezes.

Just hope it ain't cracked block or cylinder head.

Did you not have the coolant tested before Winter set in??:)

Engine seems to be running fine. I did top up with coolant a few weeks back so no clue as to how it happened.

Just waiting till it warms up a bit so I can go hunting for the leak.

Anyone know how hard it is to get to the core plugs? Might just drive it to my local garage and let them worry about it.

Engine seems to be running fine. I did top up with coolant a few weeks back so no clue as to how it happened.

Anyone know how hard it is to get to the core plugs? Might just drive it to my local garage and let them worry about it.

Core plugs are hard to get to with the engine insitu ,some can be reached ,but not easy to get the new ones in

(they have to be knocked in they are an interference fit )

theres four each side of the block ,and ones behind the water pump

Waterleak070.jpg

Core plugs are hard to get to with the engine insitu ,some can be reached ,but not easy to get the new ones in

(they have to be knocked in they are an interference fit )

theres four each side of the block ,and ones behind the water pump

Waterleak070.jpg

Prob not the best news I wanted to hear. Might just save my money and go for the turbo conversion.

How many hours work do you think for a garage to do?

depends really which one it is. the NA is a little easier than the turbo (nearly an engine out job on the tubby) id say if its one of the front ones maybe an hour or so same for the rear. side ones will be a lot harder

Cant do anything till the car defrosts and I chuck more coolant in.. watch this space!!..lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links