Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

oriana

Ha ha!

Good question and it depends who you are asking in most cases.

The very latest 4.3 is really very good in that it employs all the latest technology, safety features and is now very refined. However, if you want to know the answer to your question you have to be more specific. Which is better in what respect???

Which do you think is best?

Everyone else - which do you think is best and why?

Me personally, as a car to own I think the latest 2009 4.3 on is probably the best for those reasons above. I think the 4.1 is the most iconic and the 4.2 - 3 door is the best looking.

I have the 4.2 5 Door VVT-i Petrol and I am pleased with it. Like the looks more then the 4.1 or 4.3 (the 4.3 without the spare on the back doesn't look right IMO)

I did a couple of hundred miles in Local Heros Chipped 2.0 Diesel and I would say it was a better drive as well as being more economical, but not quite so good round the bends.

On the "which would I want" test, I imagine being given the choice of a fully expensed RAV for a year where I did not have to worry about depreciation, running costs etc and wondering what I would go for?

Answer would be an Top-Spec IMPORTED RAV4.3 2.2litre diesel i.e. an SR-180 WITHOUT the Run-Flats. If I could not have an imported one, then have to be the XT5 Petrol as I would not want the inconvience of Run-Flats

AS someone who's been lucky enuff to own all three, Loved my 3dr petrol 4.1 (but a bit thirsty) My 4.2 d4d was brilliant + like Hoovie i think handling had the edge, also prefer the looks + when i see a nice one still get a bit of a pang for my old one, My 4.3 has all the toys + IMO a classier motor, but, and I have no reason whatsoever to say this I am not so sure of its long term reliability, one or two people seem to be finding slight niggles, I think overall my 4.2 was probably the one i would choose if i were planning a round the world trip.. :thumbsup: Stew

img015.jpg

img007.jpg

Walesholidaysept2009076.jpg

I've owned a 4.2 petrol, driven a 4.2 diesel, and now own a 4.3 diesel XT4 WITH spare wheel - would not have a car without one.

For handling, fun and reliability, I found that the 4.2 was best. Gets a bit raucous when cruising at much above 60mph. Diesel engine rather noisy; petrol engine very high revving (which I don't like) and did not have enough torque for towing. Dash and dials prettier than on 4.3.

For cruising, towing, comfort, refinement - 4.3. More spacious; boot space especially much better. Altogether more luxurious car with the feel of a bigger 4WD and I think no less economical than its smaller brother. Less reliable, though. I'm a member of the Chartered Quality Institute and last month's issue of their magazine had as its lead article a piece on how Toyota took its eye off the quality ball in recent years, trying to save money on materials and components (management by accountants). They have now done a bit of navel gazing and are said to be getting back on the straight and narrow.

Both models superb in the snow. Brakes not good on both.

Hope this helps.

I have the 4.2 5 Door VVT-i Petrol and I am pleased with it. Like the looks more then the 4.1 or 4.3 (the 4.3 without the spare on the back doesn't look right IMO)

I did a couple of hundred miles in Local Heros Chipped 2.0 Diesel and I would say it was a better drive as well as being more economical, but not quite so good round the bends.

On the "which would I want" test, I imagine being given the choice of a fully expensed RAV for a year where I did not have to worry about depreciation, running costs etc and wondering what I would go for?

Answer would be an Top-Spec IMPORTED RAV4.3 2.2litre diesel i.e. an SR-180 WITHOUT the Run-Flats. If I could not have an imported one, then have to be the XT5 Petrol as I would not want the inconvience of Run-Flats

Being a newy of only 4 months in my SR180(Kingo Chipped), is that the only difference in what Hoovie refers to as "imported", the dreaded Runflats?

I am thus far only full of praise for the 4.3, as virtually a whole month of the four has been in exceptionally rotten weather and it has been exemplary.

(Don't get me wrong....when/if it fails, ah can moan for Scotland!!!)

Will be in Local Hero's area in a few weeks......he will be missing his twin exhausts when I depart.....

Bestest regards,

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Having owned both the 4.2 and 4.3, there is no question about it . The best Rav is the 4.3, however, styling wise,

Toyota cocked up with the 4.3. It should have looked more like the 4.2. ie, less bland :thumbsup:

Owned a 4.1 STAX petrol. Own a 4.3 T180 disesel.

4.1 was almost perfect for me - but underpowered.

4.3 is more refined, and T180 engine is magnificent.

Tried to buy a 4.2 over a long weeked when they first came out - but none to drive away. The 4.2 is the best looking.

But as long as it is a RAV, it is the best.

Not that I'm looking after residual values.... 06 plate, T180's with all Mr T's "free upgrades(?)" are clearly the best, especially with the magnificent Bridge-stone RFT's. :D

4.3.5 without a shadow of doubt. I drove the previous 4.3 version and the new one I went for is magnificent. I am 4 months and 5000miles into ownership of it now and it is performing brilliantly! Its great in the snow, ubiked all over my mates Q5 the other week, great feeling. The standard equipment fit is also excellent. Only thing is, my mind is now being drawn to 4x4-ing as a whole new hobby, and a Defender could be on the cards! An old one mind, something I can tinker with and use purely for off road and lugging junk about. I would have a Rav any day over a LR for everyday use.

OMG you must have plenty of time on your hands if you are thinking of running a LR....

OMG you must have plenty of time on your hands if you are thinking of running a LR....

Hehe! I do have plenty of time, and know what I am getting myself involved with!

You have my eye twitching now Anchs. :D

Noah

Sorry Frank but I find it hard to be nice about them and in any case you wouldn't want me to patronise you!

That one of yours seems to have fallen over in the picture but it is a handy way of changing a back wheel!!!

Cheers

Having owned both the 4.2 and 4.3, there is no question about it . The best Rav is the 4.3, however, styling wise,

Toyota cocked up with the 4.3. It should have looked more like the 4.2. ie, less bland :thumbsup:

agree with dave

IMPO...to me,the 4.1 looks too 'hair dressie',4.2 with kind of 'bulging wheel arches' was 'spot on',4.3 just too bland im afraid.

especially now 3door has gone :(

but as long as its a rav4.....all good :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Being a newy of only 4 months in my SR180(Kingo Chipped), is that the only difference in what Hoovie refers to as "imported", the dreaded Runflats?

Big Kev :thumbsup:

I noticed quite a while ago when looking at Toyota Websites in different European countries that there is often an option to select the Run-Flat OR a Conventional Tyre when you are at the top spec model with the 2.2D engine (called "Executive" or "Exclusive" often)

4.3.5 without a shadow of doubt. I drove the previous 4.3 version and the new one I went for is magnificent. I am 4 months and 5000miles into ownership of it now and it is performing brilliantly! Its great in the snow, ubiked all over my mates Q5 the other week, great feeling. The standard equipment fit is also excellent. Only thing is, my mind is now being drawn to 4x4-ing as a whole new hobby, and a Defender could be on the cards! An old one mind, something I can tinker with and use purely for off road and lugging junk about. I would have a Rav any day over a LR for everyday use.

i DID THE SAME - AND THE lr HAS BEEN OFF THE ROAD FOR MONTHS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Dominic, ( DON'T READ THIS ANCHORMAN :o )

there is a really good site at Tong, just down the road from you if you want to practice. An aquaintance of mine bought an ex-military 90 diesel Defender and changed all the rubber suspension bushes for polybushes. Then had the engine chipped. Took me for a ride down the M606 and round Chain Bar. Saw off a 325 Beamer going round the roundabout - I suspect he lifted off in shock really! I had LR's for about 20 years and only got let down once - by a Fairy Overdrive unit. But there is a fair maintenance load.

Also: Your previous post about a cool box. I got one as a special offer from Aldi - mains/12v - works really well. We used it as an extension to the fridge over Christmas and it actually frooze some of the stuff in there. Just fits nicely on the left hand side of the boot and is great for the continent. If you want to try it before you buy one just PM me - I'm not far away! :D

Racing BMWs with LRs? It'll end in

:doctor: :crutchy:

..........or even

:angel:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links