Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Keeps Going Flat

xbubblezx

My Battery went flat 2 weeks before christmas, bought a new Battery, it has now gone flat again

I am guessing that it wouldn't be the Battery again so any ideas what it is?

Any advice would be helpful as I am completely useless with cars.

Have you got any after market alarms installed? Anything on charge or plugged in (iPod/mobile phone) in the cigarette lighter or AUX socket?

Does the courtesy light go off when you shut all the doors? Have you turned the courtesy light off?

Obviously something is drawing from the battery; it’s a process of elimination.

Check the above first and let us know :thumbsup:

Check the bootlight goes out...

As above - either there's somthing draining the Battery or the alternator isn't charging the Battery properly.

The boot light is a common cause as you don't notice that the light stays on if you only shut the boot onto its first click and don't shut it properly. Fold a back seat down and make sure its going off...

Are all the warning lights off on the dashboard under normal driving? There's usually one that lights if the alternator is not charging, but even if its all out, there's a risk that it might be faulty....

What you need is an "ammeter" to check the Battery drain when everything's switched off - and to connect it betwen the battery "-" black terminal and the earth cable. If you don't know what you're doing though, seek out an auto electrician in yellow pages because unless you can find something obvious that's using the power then you're not going to be able to diagnose the issue fully anyway... (and bear in mind if you do try this that you might have to reenter any radio codes, although I don't think the standard Yaris has a code...)

Check the bootlight goes out...

What boot light?

Ah - sorry guys - was revelling in the 21st century features that are fitted to the 2006 on Yaris and not the Mk1.....

So if its a late model, then the boot light issue applies, but not if its an early model without one..... Simples....

• 2 weeks later...

As all others has mentioned you have something that is draining the Battery when the car is standing.

Try this way to find what is draining the Battery.

Disconnect the negative cable on the Battery.

Make sure everything is turned off.

Meassure the resistance between the battery plus pole and any grounding.

Start to pull fuses and re-meassure after each fuse.

When the meter reads that you don't have any contact (Very huge resistance) you have found what is draining the battery.

The starter usually don't have any fuse, if you still have contact between batterypluspole and grounding when all fuses is out.

Good luck.

Perhaps your alternator is shafted.

Two comments:--

1) My '53 reg T2 D-4D Yaris 3-door, had a boot light

2) My wife's '53 reg 1.4 T2 Corolla 3 door fried its battery;-- boiled dry. Because we live 110 miler from a dealer, she had to pay for a new Battery, despite being within warranty. She renewed her "Club Toyota cover", so a few weeks later when the car died again, the RAC had it hauled the 110 miles south, and the true fault, a duf alternator, was attended to, but with no recompense for the Battery she had paid for.

The good news is that she has had two very good deals on 2 Aygos with minimal problems, from them since, and cheap servicing.

P.S., I have recently tried using a led type of interior light, but it gets a stray feed from the "theatre-dimming" electronics, so I had to remove it. I still use them as sidelights. (the bright PIAA H520 ones, with 3-SMD emitters.)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links