Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dvd Navigation For Toyota Corolla T3

ukguy

Hi there everyone!

Has anyone had any experiences of fitting a DVD Sat Nav system to their Corolla? I rang Toyota and they're quoting GBP1250 for it. Are there any second hand units or even discounted units available from anywhere?

I'd appreciate any info' on this.

Thanks a lot!

Adam

LOL

Hey Adam,

Maybe you should have put all your questions into one BIG post... :P

But anyway, I have got a DVD Sat Nav system in my Corolla T3, but it is a complete aftermarket setup I got.

As for a Toyota Nav system, I really can't say. I assume they will fit a screen for you in the centre console and then you have your Nav unit hidden away. Obviously integrated to your HU?

£1250 isnt all that bad in my experience if it comes with fitting and everything. But for a little more (around £2000-£2200) you could be looking at a Kenwood screen, changer and DVD Nav (maybe a few extras too) all integrated and all touch screen (what I have but I spent £2500, 16 months ago). If you have a look at my pics (on the other post) you can get an idea of how it looks.

One recommendation I will give you though is, make a serious decision as to what exactly you want from your car sound system and then go all out and spend serious money on the system.

For example, when I bought my Corolla, I planned (and still do) to keep the car for at least 4 years (3 years left ;) ), so I decided that as it was a long term car I will spend some serious dosh and put in a PROPER sound system. As a result, I have EVERYTHING I need and it sounds well good (though a little underpowered at only 250W - but that can easily be fixed by getting a bigger amp and sub). It looks the dogs-bo**ocks, does a brilliant job and will hopefully last me the whole duration of my Corolla ownership. When/If I come to sell the car I can easily re-fit the standard unit and take my current system to the new car (which hopefully will be either a BMW 545i or 645i :D ).

So what I'm saying is, IF you want a CD/MP3 changer along with a DVD Sat Nav system, go all out and get an aftermarket changer with a screen and DVD Nav. You will also be leaving yourself open for future add-ons to the system (PS2, DVD, additional changers, screens etc).

One additional point I would like to make... The Corolla, in my opinion is the BEST equipped car for fitment of an in-dash motorised screen. I know a few other people who have motorised screens and here are a few examples of how bad their cars are for this.

New shape Mondeo... driver needs to take gear lever into 2nd or 4th to leave enough room for the screen to swing out and flip up.

Mazda 323F... As screen goes up it blocks all the heater controls.

A few other cars have the heater directly behind the screen so after a while the screen gets too hot.

The Corolla has nothing behind the screen, is in the driver's eyeline (so no need to take your eye off the road) and is not blocked or is not blocking any controls.

Fixed screens are just an invititation for a car thief in my opinion, so I prefer the safety of a motorised screen.

Thats all I can think of, about going for a screen and DVD Nav.

Atik

The toyota nav unit is exceptional. The touch screen is genious makes it all so simple, compaired to the mercedes sat nav its over 100x better.

Thanks for your replies, I very much appreciate them. atikali2000, I have seen the pics of your set up and they look very neat! So thats a motorised system you have then? I like the integration of your unit, do you have a pic of when the screen is showing? I am starting to like the idea of this. Was it easy to fit? How easy was the centre console at removing? I would presume you have a decent alarm fitted aswell? Was looking at the Cliffords, I like the idea of auto locking when I drive off too. But I'll leave this subject for another thread :rolleyes:

As you know, once I start thinking, the questions start to queue up!

Also the idea of the Toyota Sat Nav sounds pretty neat, but thinking more and more, I am more wondering to an aftermarket unit as I can always interchange it in the future as and when I get another car, whereas with the OEM unit I can't...

Is there any instruction guide anywhere on installing your own head unit? I do like atikali2000's set up if it's got a motorised screen in there!

Regards,

Adam

Adam,

Glad you like my setup. For easiest instructions for centre console removal you need to ask man-bing. I think there is another thread with full removal instructions. I went through this exact procedure when I did mine (well, I got help from an alarm fitter who knows a fair bit about system installs), but without a step by step list from man-bing.

Things that come to mind from back then are:

1) There is a screw that needs to be removed behind the centre heating knob (the one with the heat level). Careful when pulling out the knob. :P I used a soft cloth and a pair of pliers to avaid damage to it.

2) Removing the gear stick trimming panels ect, makes centre console removal easy.

3) Fitting guides are available upon request at £5 per copy ;) :P :D Please make cheques payable to... (cough)... (cough)... (cough)... Well, I'll try and do my best to direct you through the process (was over a year ago now :blink: )

Oh, another thing. My installer guy couldnt find the speed pulse cable anywhere, so in the end I went for the magnetising of the rear wheels for the Sat Nav signals. It is the Alpine NVE K300 Speed Pulse Generator, which direct the Nav system and tells it exactly how fast you are going and in which direction. Although it is Alpine, it is compatible with most brands (definitely Kenwood). This is an additional £75-£100 depending on where you buy. An essential part of a Nav system and I didnt know about this when I got mine so I had to fork out for two fitting costs, one for the HU and another for the SPG.

I went for a motorised screen as I wanted the safety of not having a screen in view when the car is parked. I have an alarm, but am considering going for a tracker IF I get a bodykit fitted. The trim around the headunit is now readily available (I think) but I got mine from Audiowarehouse.com in the States. £30 for two day delivery from the States! :thumbsup: BEWARE though, if you go for a motorised screen, please make sure that you get the storage pocket under the slot for the HU, as I have seen various other Corollas with the pocket on top. It just means that when you have the screen out, it doesnt block the access to it.

A pic of my screen in operation (Nav mode)...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/al...n_On_Navigation

According to exon's post, the Toyota Sat Nav is touchscreen which is definitely good thing. Dont know exactly how it works but my Kenwood one is AWESOME. Looks very nice when in operation. On the above screen you see the up/down arrows on the bottom left, for zoom controls so you can see more of the map or less. There are so many little features to make navigation as easy as possible. Basically, I havent used my A-Z since I've had it fitted. Obviously data input is easy with touchscreen as are menu controls. I would seriously recommend this system setup. It is very good, and is very reasonably priced now (check out http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/k...navigation.html - £1800, but comes without a changer). Other systems are available, just make sure you do research on exactly what you want from it.

As you mentioned, interchanging was part of why I decided to go for a whole after-market setup.

Hmmm, my posts seem to be a little long, but I hope it is useful. I am trying to inform you as best as I can. I remember getting no help from anywhere (as the car was still a new car) as no-one had parts or compatible parts for the Corolla. It was SO FRUSTRATING :ffs:

Atik

Once again, thanks for your information and experiences atikali2000. I read about the system you have, and I did this :drool: (drool) :yes: It's a very nice set up. I didn't think it would have been possible really on a car like this, with all the non standard stuff as 'factory fit'. But now I know different... Now my mind is going haywire. I'm away soon but when I get back I think I'll be paying a visit to an ICE dealer to see what they can do for me.

However, due to crime fears (even though the screen is hidden), I may get a good alarm set up first. As you seem well up to date on technology!, what alarm do you have fitted? Is it operated from the existing key fob? Who fitted it? I am in Manchester, I rang an ICE dealer twice for a quotation and they never called me back! Are there any decent ones up here that you know of, that are experienced with dismantling trim on a Corolla? I don't like the idea of taking my car to a dealer that has never done an install on one before, only to find the dashboard scratched and trim broken when I take it away!

Anyway, thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Adam

Naah, my alarm is only a standard aftermarket one with interior sensors. Can't remember exactly how much it cost... :unsure:

It has a small key-fob which needs to be operated before the standard Toyota key can be used. I know it is a bit wierd but I can live with this :rolleyes:

I'm in Birmingham, so I really dont know about Manchester. Best bet would be to go to a proper fitter who will look after the car for you. Also, it doesnt do too much harm if you ask to stick around and watch the install process. You get to keep an eye on the process, see how it is done, and maybe also take pictures at regular intervals (something which I regret not doing).

Atik

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links