Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Wall Height 65vs70vs75?

conorbuzz

Hello all,

Rav has the bridge stone 225/65 R16's from the factory and replacing as they have about 2mm on them after 30K Km's. Granted then took a hammering in the ice and snow we had. Anyways looking to replace, won't ask about the make and model to get as there are loads of posts about that here,

My Question is

Does the wall height matter, can I fit a 225/70 R16 or 225/75 R16 to my 2.0L Rav4 petrol?

Are there an pro's or con's to this ?

Will it look taller? LOL

Is there a HUGE difference with handling , between 225/70 R16 or 225/75 R16, and what about road noise?

Thanks all

C

In 4 wheel drive all four wheels must turn at the same speed, so all 4 tyres must be the same size.. you will also need to think about the spare (if you have one) as that would be useless in 4 wheel drive if it is a different size.

The easiest way to work out the difference in height is....

225/70x16 - 225 x 70% = height in mm

225/65x16 - 225 x 65% = height in mm

Or you can use the tyre size calculator on this page.

I run 225x40 x 18 on 1 RAV.. and the other is running 245x60x18 I think. Just need to check whatever you fit will not alter the speedo due to tyre circumference.

Road noise differs on what tyre type you use...which you choose depending on whether you go off road; tow off-road; or just race up and down motorways. CFC can help you there due his his professhun.

Other thing to watch is the clearance of the tyre/wheel when on full lock

THank you !

Soo hour of research and now I've only a few choices due to stock over here

1/ General Grabbers UHP

2/ Mitchelen LX4

3/ Pirellie Scorpions

4 The Same stupid, noisy, don't last a year Duellers

Which one is the best u think?

I drive manly road, and bad road (I live in the sticks) the odd dirt track, but i live in Ireland so we have plenty of wet roads

Thanks a million , I'm swaying towards the Grabbers , am I mad, I've decided to stick with 225/65/17 (Maybe) LOL

Thanks again

C

p.s Excuse the spelling

Personally I would also stick to the 225x65/17 (opening a can of compatabilty, speedo etc etc issues if you change.. a lot less hasle sticking to what you have on a 4x4). As for choice of tyre.. the Grabbers are a very popular for us, they are not a "cheap budget" tyre either, good quality and value. I tend to think Michelins are over priced and over rated in comparison to Bridgestone and Pirelli et al. Pirelli and Goodyear both quite popular.. as are the Bridgestones, not much to choose between them so it's down to a personal choice... some people will swear by brand A whilst others will go with brand B.. you pays your money and takes your choice.

I would personally go with Goodyear.. but I would be comparing the price between them and Grabbers (aswell as thinking what terrain I'd be driving on) if the price difference wasn't that big, then terrain permitting.. I would have Goodyears.

• 3 weeks later...

Got Energy LX4's , I got a killer saving , as in half price thru a friend of the families.

Great in the wet, and pretty good in mud, nice cornering , but NOISY (Same as the Duelers) ! :(

Don't know if this needs to be closed, just wanted to update u

Ta

C

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links