Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Issue

jm26

Hi,

Yaris 2002 1.3 SR. 67k.

When driving my steering feels very loose. Every bump and dip the car pulls slightly to the left or right so country lanes are awful and I have to go slower than I normally would. Feels like my tires are following every groove etc in the road.

Also when I stop at traffic lights the wheel sometimes makes a quarter turn to the left or right (slowly moves around).

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jm26

• Raeman

• stantheman1

• Madasafish

Have you had the tracking checked?

Getting it serviced tommorow so it will be checked. It may be causing some trouble but i don't think it would make the wheel turn both left and right would it?

Just trying to get a fuller picture (process of illimination). Is the power steering fluid at the correct level? This may sound daft but are your front wheels securely mounted?

Just trying to get a fuller picture (process of illimination). Is the power steering fluid at the correct level? This may sound daft but are your front wheels securely mounted?

Power steering fluid is at correct level.

Not sure about wheel nuts tbh. It was in the garage last week to sort out some braking issues so i assume they are fine. The steering has always been like it so it is very unlikely to be that, I will check though.

I was going to say wheel nuts as well. If it was at the garage last week its best to double check the nuts to make sure they aren’t coming loose.

Never assume they are fine after being at the garage :(

I was going to say wheel nuts as well. If it was at the garage last week its best to double check the nuts to make sure they aren’t coming loose.

Never assume they are fine after being at the garage :(

Steering issues were exactly the same before and after visit to garage so it isn't the wheel nuts. No mechanics on this forum?

The mechanic today said the rear suspension arms need replacing and they have worn the bushes through. Not exactly sure what this means and what is wrong but he said this is what is causing the jerking of the steering wheel. Does this sound about right?

Quote is £95 per suspension arm and £15 for tracking (total £205). This sound ok?

The mechanic today said the rear suspension arms need replacing and they have worn the bushes through. Not exactly sure what this means and what is wrong but he said this is what is causing the jerking of the steering wheel. Does this sound about right?

Quote is £95 per suspension arm and £15 for tracking (total £205). This sound ok?

Why should that affect the steering? :huh:

If the FRONT bushes or shocks were worn, then maybe that would affect the steering but certainly (I wouldn't have thought) not the rears! :unsure:

Why don't you have a check of it yourself? Or take it to another mechanic at least.

Also, the price for the suspension arm, is this just for 1shock and 1spring?

Why should that affect the steering? :huh:

If the FRONT bushes or shocks were worn, then maybe that would affect the steering but certainly (I wouldn't have thought) not the rears! :unsure:

Why don't you have a check of it yourself? Or take it to another mechanic at least.

Also, the price for the suspension arm, is this just for 1shock and 1spring?

Well thats what I thought to be honest. It doesn't feel like it's anything to do with the back suspension, more the way in which the front wheels and steering column is linked. Everytime I am coming to a stop the wheel turns right on it's own.

It's going back to the trader on Saturday anyway to sort it out. I'll let you know what the cause was.

I'm right in thinking that if the rear suspension arms / bushes are worn (regardless of whether or not it is causing steering issues) that they should also be replaced free of charge by the trader, as they would have been faulty when bought 4 weeks ago? Or would I be expected to pay some towards a repair?

I'm not sure what i would get for £95, it just says suspension arms and labour??

If the car is wanting to turn when you stop, i think it's a sticky brake calliper on the right side, pulling the car towards the sticking calliper.

Could be, or the brake on the left side isn't working properly and the right side is compensating? :unsure:

On the subject of the rear bushes, i wouldn't have thought they would have to change them esp if it passed an MOT with these faults. Bushes can and will wear out on every car eventually, just like batteries, tyres and Wiper Blades. So the bushes may not be covered in the warranty (if you got one) as they might be classed as consumables but i could be wrong on that, all depends on the dealer who sold it you and the type of warranty you got with the car.

I would take the car to National Tyres and have the brakes checked, it's usually free and they will put the car on a rolling machine and test the brakes. The machine tests the strengh of each front brake, so a weak one will be be diagnosed and can then be checked and repaired accordingly.

As for the trader you got it from, just mention trading standards and they should sort the car for you.,,or ask for your money back and buy one from elsewhere.

Got my car back yesterday.

The trader who I bought it from took it for a test drive and agreed that the steering did turn on its own especially when slowing down.

The mechanic checked the brakes, suspension and wheels etc and couldnt find anything wrong. He took it for a short test drive and couldn't feel / see a problem. He said none of the suspension components were worn as the last mechanic had told me and said it was complete rubbish. The wheels didn't have any play in them either.

The only thing he could think that it could be was a kink in one of the tubes in the braking system (not sure exaclty what this is). This causes brake fluid to get trapped and so the brakes are sightly applied to one wheel sometimes. He replaced these on each side.

He said I also have low profile allows that are none original. I was sure they were so questioned it. He said because of this the ride is quite hard anyway leading to the steering pulling. I've checked and the allows are original and even say SR on them.

The steering doesn't seem to pull when slowing down as much anymore but it does still ***** over bumps quite a lot. In my last car the steering was solid and wouldn't move on it's own.

Anyone elses SR like this?

Getting annoyed now cos i've only had it a month and it's been in the garage for about two weks already.

Cheers

Well my SR is not like that so it must be a problem with yours!

As for the wheels, the standard 1.3sr wheels are 9 spoke 15" alloys that have the 'sr' logo in the middle. The tyres on mine (standard fit) are 195/50/15.

If your sr has these wheels and the same tyre size as mine, then the mechanic is wrong. These wheels are standard Toyota 'sr' wheels.

Braking hoses will be the brake pipes that go to your brake callipers. I have never heard of one developing a kink and if the car has been maintained correctly all it's life, it's unlikely that this would just happen. It would think it would be an MOT failure and would be picked up on any basic service.

Sounds like the problem still exists then. Any car pulling left or right under braking has got a problem somewhere. It's hardly rocket science!

Sounds to me like you are being messed around with this trader. Tell them you are taking it to Toyota to sort it properly or you will contact trading standards.

If you got a warranty with the car, the braking system should be covered and repaired accordingly.

Did they check the brake callipers for one sticking on? You can check yourself easy enough.....Have a look at both front wheels, does one wheel have more brake dust on it than the other?

After a drive, touch the wheel near the centre cap, is one hotter than the other?

This usually indicates a sticking brake calliper, and will be the reason it pulls when braking.

Good luck!

As for the wheels, the standard 1.3sr wheels are 9 spoke 15" alloys that have the 'sr' logo in the middle. The tyres on mine (standard fit) are 195/50/15.

If your sr has these wheels and the same tyre size as mine, then the mechanic is wrong. These wheels are standard Toyota 'sr' wheels.

Braking hoses will be the brake pipes that go to your brake callipers. I have never heard of one developing a kink and if the car has been maintained correctly all it's life, it's unlikely that this would just happen. It would think it would be an MOT failure and would be picked up on any basic service.

Sounds like the problem still exists then. Any car pulling left or right under braking has got a problem somewhere. It's hardly rocket science!

Sounds to me like you are being messed around with this trader. Tell them you are taking it to Toyota to sort it properly or you will contact trading standards.

If you got a warranty with the car, the braking system should be covered and repaired accordingly.

Did they check the brake callipers for one sticking on? You can check yourself easy enough.....Have a look at both front wheels, does one wheel have more brake dust on it than the other?

After a drive, touch the wheel near the centre cap, is one hotter than the other?

This usually indicates a sticking brake calliper, and will be the reason it pulls when braking.

Good luck!

Yes the mechanic is wrong in regards to the alloys being non-standard.

The wheel isn't turning when braking its just generally jerking from left and right when I go over any sort of bump in the road. Also if the road is sloped the wheels try and follow the slope.

Also if I park so one side of the car is on the pavement and one on the road my steering wheel turns a half turn to the right. This must narrow it down to a certain component?

The mechanic checked the brakes and said they were fine. They had previously been checked when I had the brake problem as well. It has also been serviced since with rear suspension and bushes diagnosed as the problem (non existant supposedly).

I've been driving it around the countryside today and although it is shaky and does get a bit annoying it doesn't really feel dangerous.

I could live with it but I don't want to get a hefty bill for repair next year if a problem is found. It's very difficult to keep taking the car back to a garage 20 miles away when i'm working full time so if it's not major I would prefer not to really.

Anyone think this could be a broken tyre belt? How do i check this, would it be just a small bulge in the side or tread of the tyre?

Anyone think this could be a broken tyre belt? How do i check this, would it be just a small bulge in the side or tread of the tyre?

Try swapping both front wheels for the rear wheels and also check to see if the tyres are directional and are fitted the right way round.

Good luck!

The wheel isn't turning when braking its just generally jerking from left and right when I go over any sort of bump in the road. Also if the road is sloped the wheels try and follow the slope.

Also if I park so one side of the car is on the pavement and one on the road my steering wheel turns a half turn to the right. This must narrow it down to a certain component?

The mechanic checked the brakes and said they were fine. They had previously been checked when I had the brake problem as well. It has also been serviced since with rear suspension and bushes diagnosed as the problem (non existant supposedly).

I've been driving it around the countryside today and although it is shaky and does get a bit annoying it doesn't really feel dangerous.

I could live with it but I don't want to get a hefty bill for repair next year if a problem is found. It's very difficult to keep taking the car back to a garage 20 miles away when i'm working full time so if it's not major I would prefer not to really.

When you park like this, are the road wheels straight? Sounds like the steering wheel itself is loose! :o

Good luck!

When you park like this, are the road wheels straight? Sounds like the steering wheel itself is loose! :o

Thing is the steering wheel has no play in it at all though. As soon as I start turning the wheel the car starts turning. I'll park it on a kerb tommorow and get out and check the wheel alignment to see whether they are definately going straight again. But even if they weren't straight the steering wheel shouldn't be winding around on its own anyway should it??

Good luck!

Thing is the steering wheel has no play in it at all though. As soon as I start turning the wheel the car starts turning. I'll park it on a kerb tommorow and get out and check the wheel alignment to see whether they are definately going straight again. But even if they weren't straight the steering wheel shouldn't be winding around on its own anyway should it??

Tried parking it half on a kerb half off, but it didn't wind the steering around slowly this time. The wheels were exactly straight and so was the steering wheel. Not sure why it did this the time before.

All the tyres have been put on the correct way but i did notice that I had odd types either side at the back. One looks pretty standard but the other one is pretty smooth with single diagonal grooves.

I think i'm going to try and rotate my tyres just in case it's a bent rim or dodgy tyre. Though i've been told this would only be felt at motorway speeds?

From the little experience I have had with mechanics they seem pretty dodgy. One is telling me that the rear suspension is causing the light, wobbly steering at any speed and the other is saying everything is fine. I give up..

Sounds to me you have misaligned front steering - either the tracking or the caster angle (which controls the steering self centering) is incorrect.

Have you had a recent bang against the pavement? Or a big pothole?

I would suggest professional checking by a garage with proper equipment...

I agree, or it could need a 4-wheel alignment doing.

Places like Kwik-fit and National Tyres do this. Expect to pay around £20-40 though.

Afterwards your Yaris should be bang on straight. I got mine done a few yrs ago and the difference was amazing. :)

Sounds to me you have misaligned front steering - either the tracking or the caster angle (which controls the steering self centering) is incorrect.

Have you had a recent bang against the pavement? Or a big pothole?

I would suggest professional checking by a garage with proper equipment...

Mechanic said tracking was fine. Whether it actually is or not is another question though. Ony had the car a bit over a month so not hit any big pot holes. Must have been done before i bought it.

I know tracking is cheap to have done but as it's not pulling to one side i don't think it can be that. Can caster angle be adjusted even if it is incorrect?

Hi

I jacked up the car today and checked tie rod ends, suspension coils, sticking calipers, lower control arm bushes and tyres.

Couldn't see anything wrong to be honest. As the mechanic who did the service said it was the lower control arms and bushes causing the problem i had a good look at this. Basically the rubber bushes had slight cracks all the way around them on both left and right wheels. Could this be the issue?

Coils looked good.

Wheels spun without sticking. Though the brakes could be heard rubbing and the wheel would only spin once or twice before stopping. This normal?

To check tie rod ends i was told to wobble the rotors around and see if the bottom and top part of the tie rod bushing moved at different speeds. i was wobbling the rotor around but could only get slight movement from the tie rod (prob because only one side of car was jacked up). The top and bottom seemed to line through int he same place after movement.

At the rear, pretty much within the axle is a bar that runs right across the car. Is this a tie rod? This looked slightly bent.

I swapped the front wheels for the back ones on each side. When i test drove it the car now wanders to the left quite a lot. If anything it used to wander to the right slightly but not too much. The steerign wheel also used to turn to the right on it's own sometimes generally when driving slowly (approx quater turn). Now it does a quater turn to the left.

Any ideas what it is?

Thanks

Have you had your wheels balanced? I know it sounds silly but past couple months i've been running around with 3 balanced alloys and an unbalanced steel rim on the front left. (!Removed! potholes!) When this was the case my car pulled to the left constantly. Maybe something you could check out?

Have you had your wheels balanced? I know it sounds silly but past couple months i've been running around with 3 balanced alloys and an unbalanced steel rim on the front left. (!Removed! potholes!) When this was the case my car pulled to the left constantly. Maybe something you could check out?

Although the car is now pulling to the left i don't think wheel alignment / balancing is my problem. The wobbling steering wheel is the major one. I find it hard to believe that bad alignment or balancing would affect the steering so much at such slow speeds. It might be worth a shot though....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links