Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Issue

jm26

Your right, i don't know much about the mechanical side of cars, but I actually quite enjoy being able to do these kind of things myself and having a go is the only way to learn. It's not really a case of not being able to afford it. You have to have a go to see if you can do it yourself. I won't take it to a toyota garage though, it's just too expensive.

There are some things its good to try for yourself - washing, polishing - even basic servicing such as oil changes and similar, but if your friend needed an operation, would you go and buy a scalpel and just "give it a go" yourself? No, you'd rely on someone who was properly trained to do the job - so not every job is suitable for the untrained to "have a go".

If you get anything wrong with a job on the steering or brakes, there's every chance that your car could end up unsafe with potentially severe consequences to you, any passenger and anything else on the road (or pavement) that you happened to hit if it went out of control.

If you're not experienced and know what you're doing, its best to leave steering and brake work to properly trained mechanics - whether at a Toyota dealers or an independent garage....

Not trying to be rude but why does it matter if i want to do some work myself and not let a mechanic do it? I didn't buy a haynes manual to let a mechanic do all of the work on my car. I'm not going to pay a mechanic to replace brake pads, you really can't go wrong. It's up to me what i do and what i pay a mechanic to do and regardless this is not really the subject of this thread. And by the way i was replacing suspension arms, not brakes or steering... ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jm26

• Raeman

• stantheman1

• Madasafish

I'm stumped on this one Jim. :unsure:

The only other thing i can think of is, are the tyres fitted the right way round? IE, do the rotation arrows on the tyre walls point forward?

It's hard to believe your having so many problems on this car that can't be fixed! Are you sure it's not been in a serious frontal collision at some point and is now bent?

Has it had a full HPI check?

Check it's not a cut & shut aswell, ie two different cars welded together. Long shot that though. :(

The only other thing i can think of is, are the tyres fitted the right way round? IE, do the rotation arrows on the tyre walls point forward?

It's hard to believe your having so many problems on this car that can't be fixed! Are you sure it's not been in a serious frontal collision at some point and is now bent?

Check it's not a cut & shut aswell, ie two different cars welded together. Long shot that though. :(

It's causing so much stress, can't take much more. An very good indipendant garage is looking at it again for me on Wednesday to hopefully give me a diagnosis that I can give to the trader so he cannot wriggle out of it as he is trying to. Obviously this will cost me again!!

Fron tyres are on correct way round but are not same make. Size correct though. Back tyres don't seem to have a rotation arrow but the treads are in different directions. Mechanic last week didn't give this much thought when I mentioned this so it probably won't be this.

And to make things even worse, the brakes went again today. They totally jammed up again!! Looks like a frozen caliper pin again as before. Symptoms seemed exactly the same as last time. If he refuses to sort these problems when i have told him exactly in writing what needs doing then i will reject the car and would also like payign back money i have spent on the car ie service, repairs etc.

Anyone one got any experience of taking a case like this to court?

Cheers for the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...

It's causing so much stress, can't take much more. An very good indipendant garage is looking at it again for me on Wednesday to hopefully give me a diagnosis that I can give to the trader so he cannot wriggle out of it as he is trying to. Obviously this will cost me again!!

Fron tyres are on correct way round but are not same make. Size correct though. Back tyres don't seem to have a rotation arrow but the treads are in different directions. Mechanic last week didn't give this much thought when I mentioned this so it probably won't be this.

And to make things even worse, the brakes went again today. They totally jammed up again!! Looks like a frozen caliper pin again as before. Symptoms seemed exactly the same as last time. If he refuses to sort these problems when i have told him exactly in writing what needs doing then i will reject the car and would also like payign back money i have spent on the car ie service, repairs etc.

Anyone one got any experience of taking a case like this to court?

Cheers for the help guys.

Problem now solved. I rejected the car yesterday as the problems couldn't be solved. Took about 2 hours of hanging around his sales area and putting off potential customers to finally get him to agree to the refund. Thanks for the help guys especially Raeman.

Well i suppose it's good news then Jim, not good that you had so many problems with that car but good news that you got a refund! :thumbsup:

I am thinking that there must have been something seriously wrong with that Yaris esp if they gave you a refund after a few months. For them to do that, i think they knew all along that car was a baddun but still went ahead and sold it regardless. Call me paranoid but i've never heard of a Yaris with so many problems.

Now at least you can put the matter to rest and move on, buy another car ect..

Will it be another Yaris though? You may think that you'll never own another Yaris but don't let that bad one put you off them, they are brilliant cars, well good one's are anyway! :lol:

Good luck! ;)

Well i suppose it's good news then Jim, not good that you had so many problems with that car but good news that you got a refund! :thumbsup:

I am thinking that there must have been something seriously wrong with that Yaris esp if they gave you a refund after a few months. For them to do that, i think they knew all along that car was a baddun but still went ahead and sold it regardless. Call me paranoid but i've never heard of a Yaris with so many problems.

Will it be another Yaris though? You may think that you'll never own another Yaris but don't let that bad one put you off them, they are brilliant cars, well good one's are anyway! :lol:

Good luck! ;)

Basically he agreed over the phone last week that if he couldn't sort the brakes and steering issues out then he would give me a refund. He took the car away and suprise suprise the mechanic couldn't find anythign wrong. I asked for my money back and he then said no!After arguing on the phone for about half an hour he hung up and said my car was parked outside his garage. Wouldn't leave the next day until he refunded me and eventually he did after lots of arguing.

I know I did get bad one but it has put me off the yaris a bit really. Would consider the t-sport version but not the sr again(as it would bring back bad memories) :crybaby:

Don't want anyhting requiring a cambelt change really!!

Good luck! ;)

Basically he agreed over the phone last week that if he couldn't sort the brakes and steering issues out then he would give me a refund. He took the car away and suprise suprise the mechanic couldn't find anythign wrong. I asked for my money back and he then said no!After arguing on the phone for about half an hour he hung up and said my car was parked outside his garage. Wouldn't leave the next day until he refunded me and eventually he did after lots of arguing.

I know I did get bad one but it has put me off the yaris a bit really. Would consider the t-sport version but not the sr again(as it would bring back bad memories) :crybaby:

Don't want anyhting requiring a cambelt change really!!

Shh!, Keep this under your hat.... Have a look at a Skoda Fabia... If you want performance, go for the Vrs but I got a (New) diesel. Even the older models are well liked by thier owners.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links