Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Quandry

dave.m

What to do.

Going to be needing front tyre shortly, back ones still got plenty of tread (never rotated wheels) and are currently Yokohamas.

My plan was to switch back wheels to front, replace fronts with two new General Grabbers, and put them on the back. Here's

the quandry, got that brand new spare on aftermarket wheel lying in the boot for the past two years, never been on car (touches

wood). It has a Bridgestone Dueller fitted. I'm now wondering wether I should buy another Bridgestone and get the use of the

spare, putting one of my old fronts on the spare wheel and sticking it back in the boot ???? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What to do.

Going to be needing front tyre shortly, back ones still got plenty of tread (never rotated wheels) and are currently Yokohamas.

My plan was to switch back wheels to front, replace fronts with two new General Grabbers, and put them on the back. Here's

the quandry, got that brand new spare on aftermarket wheel lying in the boot for the past two years, never been on car (touches

wood). It has a Bridgestone Dueller fitted. I'm now wondering wether I should buy another Bridgestone and get the use of the

spare, putting one of my old fronts on the spare wheel and sticking it back in the boot ???? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Dave,

Seems a waste to be carrying around a brand new spare when a worn but legal tyre would make a perfectly acceptable spare but see your dilema as you would have odd tyres front to back.

As far as I know though, as long as they are the same approved size and rating and don't have a wildly different spec re.tread pattern, you shouldn't have a problem.

I too would be interested in a definitive answer though as I am in a similar position needing two fronts shortly. How many miles have you had out of them?

Where's our tyre gurus today?

Hi Dave, just recently turned 20K miles.

I've done 21.5K miles on Geolanders

I've done 21.5K miles on Geolanders

Mine are also Geolanders.

Apart from ensuring the tyres are compatible it would do no harm to check their manufactured date. I have came across some spare tyres in my time that have been well past their use by date. Sadly tyres don't last for ever even if unused. I have actually seen tyre dealers sell tyres as new when they have been 5 years old or more.:)

i just had 4 General Grabbers fitted to the rav they do grip well in the wet got them from event very good service.

I had toyos from new they did 20k had bridgstones fitted 20k again ,so hoping the grabbers will go further.

I see no point in letting that Bridgestone ride around for the rest of its life (you may never use it). I would definitely swap it for a "runner" off the front (it only has to be legal to qualify for a passenger!!!) and buy another Bridgestone to match it. I paid about £115 fitted and balanced for Bridgestones. You can get what ever you want next time around.

I think I changed mine at about 18k because like a stupid @rse I took my eye off them and wore the shoulders off by listening to a soft salesman (since sacked) who said it would improve the ride by running them at 2 bar instead of 2.2. Silly me - got everything I deserved!

i just had 4 General Grabbers fitted to the rav they do grip well in the wet got them from event very good service.

I had toyos from new they did 20k had bridgstones fitted 20k again ,so hoping the grabbers will go further.

Had Toyo's on my 4.2 and thought they were really good, haven't seen them available though in the size for the 4.3.

I see no point in letting that Bridgestone ride around for the rest of its life (you may never use it). I would definitely swap it for a "runner" off the front (it only has to be legal to qualify for a passenger!!!) and buy another Bridgestone to match it. I paid about £115 fitted and balanced for Bridgestones. You can get what ever you want next time around.

I think I changed mine at about 18k because like a stupid @rse I took my eye off them and wore the shoulders off by listening to a soft salesman (since sacked) who said it would improve the ride by running them at 2 bar instead of 2.2. Silly me - got everything I deserved!

I'll shop around and see if I can get the exact same tyre, if so I'll go down that route. :thumbsup:

Had Toyo's on my 4.2 and thought they were really good, haven't seen them available though in the size for the 4.3.

I'll shop around and see if I can get the exact same tyre, if so I'll go down that route. :thumbsup:

maybe some RAV4 owner here would PX you their brand new and unused spare for one of your worn but legal tyres plus some cash?  Win-Win for both parties  :)

HI

I did the same

all duellers to start but spare was new and a tranpath a11

bought another tranpath, so have 2 new tranpath and 2 duellers. best old dueller used as a spare.

Somebody mentioned about replacing new tyres on the back better than placing them on the front - or other way around for safety

anyone?

New tyres to the front or rear?

Check the car handbook first as some vehicle manufacturers give specific advice on this. If there is no information in the handbook, then it's good practice for safety to fit the best/newest tyres on the rear – in wet conditions, this favours understeer rather than oversteer. So if you have the front tyres renewed it's best to have the rear ones moved to the front and the new tyres fitted to the rear.

From the AA

2.2 no matter what the make?

Yes.

Yes.

Girlfrind out in the car at the moment - cant remember what it says on the inside of the door - mine is the 3 door should that make any difference and usually only 1 or 2 in there at a time.

2.2 bar = 31.9083023 pounds per square inch

Thanks

Nah, my 4.2 was 2.0 bar (29psi). It did 60k miles on a set of bridgestones

There you go. If he says its 2.0 its 2.0 because as sure as eggs are eggs he will have checked it!!!

Nah, my 4.2 was 2.0 bar (29psi). It did 60k miles on a set of bridgestones

Second that - plus it must be right because I still have Duellers on mine - 3rd set just on and getting over 40k per set. Did consider going for something else, but why change?

Incidentally anyone round Bristol - Brunel Tyres do Duellers at about 90GBP fitted and balanced - ask for Steve. :thumbsup:

Just to update this thread, decided to take AM's advice and got 1 Bridgestone Dueller to go with the spare. :thumbsup:

I hope it's ok to jump in on this thread... or is it etiquette to start a new one??

Last time I was on here was ages ago and I only made two posts.... :(

I've come back for some more advice - to do with tyres - hence reading this thread.

I am in need of two new tyres for my '98 Rav.

I have BFG Macadam T/A on the fronts. They're good for about 7mm

My hated Brdigestone Duellers have run their life on the rear and need replacing.

I can't get the BFG until March beleive it or not, so I am looking for reccomendations...

Prices I have so far are:

Enduro - £130.00

General Grabber UHP - £157.80

Dunlop Grand-trek ST20- £183.00

Toyo TA11 - £186.00

Toyo TAA14 - £190.00

Pirelli STR - £224.00

Being totally honest, although I have heard of the the others, I have only experienced Dunlop and Pirelli... but that was some time back as I have tried to keep to BFG where possible (until last time when I was recommended the Bridgestones) which have only just done a year and a bit from memory!!

I also remember reading about putting new on the rears and not the fronts.

Whenever replacing tyres I have always made sure I put my new ones on the front - thinking as the "turning" set they would last longer??

The OH drives it most of the time - round town about 10 miles daily and weekends a bit further... with a motorway trip once a month to Surrey.

I have another quandry about my front lights, but I'll pop new post on for that.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend a good all round tyre for the 4.2 RAV? I need to buy 3 or 4 new tyres and am get conflicting advice from everyone I speak with. I understand that there will be a compromise between grip, noise and price and that everyone has their own favourites, but is there a preferred standard tyre for the RAV? Should I stick with Toyos or will the General Grabber UHPs or another brand be better?

All recommendations welcomed.

The concesus of opinion on here is to go for the General Grabber's. When I had my 4.2, I stuck with the Toyo's.

But I could not get the tranpath as per originally fitted, so I went with the Toyo Open Country which I thought

was a good all rounder at a reasonable price at the time.

Called 2 local independent tyre shops this afternoon and both of them said they fit a lot of Falken T110 tyres to RAVs. Anyone have any experience of these, are they any better (or worse) than the General Grabber's?

• 3 weeks later...

Called 2 local independent tyre shops this afternoon and both of them said they fit a lot of Falken T110 tyres to RAVs. Anyone have any experience of these, are they any better (or worse) than the General Grabber's?

Hey Cat, that's what I want to know too! We've got a RAV4.1 which we purchased with Bridgestone Dueler D687s fitted all round. She wanted 2 new tyres last year so I went with Duelers to keep it looking all nicely matched. They seem fine to me, great grip wet and dry. Even in the snow last winter they coped suprisingly well. But some say they're crap! Anyway, I need to replace the other 2 tyres soon and I have been eyeing up the T110s too. The tread pattern looks very similar to the Duelers on our RAV, so I want to compare. But I think the T110's have only been avaliable recently. They are cheaper, on blackcircles.com they are £82.59 fitted each. I could save, between the two, £41.94 on 2 tyres.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links