Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Going In For Driving Test (any Tips)?

ItalianStig

cheers louise, any idea how much a quote would be decreased by for example a current quote I am getting is £1250.00 per year

I found that the pass plus was pointless and it only brings your insurance down with certain insurers (generally the ones that even after pass plus they were above average)

If you have no idea how to drive on a motor way a lesson with your instructor could help, just 1 hr motorway driving, but thats all

yeah I might take a lessson with my instrustor for the motorway usage as I only have experience on Dual Carriageways!

I am a driving instructor and MOST failures are due to lack of observation!

Use the mirrors before anyything (Exept emergency stop) make sure to check blind spots before moving odd and before starting maneouvres and during them, before the steering part. If you stop the car in one, re-check blind spots and check them again before moving off! They ALWAYS LOOK FOR THIS!

Keep to the legal speed limit but don't drive too slowly if it is safe to make progress and keep a safe stopping distance (Two second rule) Mostly, keep a cool head, if you think you have made a mistake, don't dwell on it as you will only make more... Try to concentrate on the drive you have left. I have seen poor drivers pass as they made no serious errors during a test, when quite good drivers have failed as they lose the plot!

Remember, if you pass, you are now allowed to learn to drive on your own, you are not Jensen Button! If you do not, it means you are not quite there, yet, so keep trying, and good luck.

true, well i have passed, I think Jenso button failed his driving test 1st time lol and now hes the worlds best driver

true, well i have passed, I think Jenso button failed his driving test 1st time lol and now hes the worlds best driver

All the most proficient drivers fail the first time B)

Woo, only 5 on your first try?? Niice :thumbsup: :D

Passplus is nice but don't do it expecting a significant discount on insurance; Annoyingly, a lot of insurers don't care about it, and those that do tend to have the highest premiums in the first place anyway!

Some tricks I found to get cheap insurance when you're just starting out is:

a ) Live somewhere really dull (Woking vs Enfield - £1000 difference for a Corolla 2.0 D4D and new driver! :eek: )

b ) Try both 3rd Party AND Fully Comp; Fully comp can actually be cheaper because you can max the excess!

c ) Stick as many +40 relations with clean licences and many years of no-claims on your policy as you can - Dad, Mum, Uncle etc. (Also, you probably know this already, but for people that don't: Do not make yourself a named driver with e.g. dad as main policy holder; You won't get any no-claims and if you drive the car the most they'll void the claim!)

d ) The good ol' ring-round! Until you have a couple of years no-claims, DON'T go with quotes you get on-line; Get the best 5 and then ring them up and play them off against each other :thumbsup:

Going on the motorway for the first time with an actual instructor is quite reassuring - 3 lanes of 60-70+ may be a bit daunting the first time! - but TBH the hardest part is getting *on* the motorway (Accelerate! Mirrors! Find a gap! Match speeds!); After that there's not much to do; Maybe a bit of overtaking (Find gap! Judge distance and speed!), but it's basically all about observation and concentration. Much easier and less eventful than city driving! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links