Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Gear Without Using The Clutch?

Somchart

By accident I discovered it was possible to change gears without using the clutch when standing still and engine off.

Later, of course I had to try it when driving and it worked without any noise or so?!?!?!

The last car with manual transmission I had was a BMW 325 -06 and it would make a horrible noise from the gearbox

if I tried changing gears without using the clutch, changing gears standing still and engine off was not working as well.

Can you guys do this too? IQ specific? IQ3 specific? Toyota specific?

normal, you can change gear when driving without the clutch being used if you change at the correct time - i wouldnt recommend it as you will put strain/wear on the gearbox components if you get it wrong.

also its alwasy possible to change gear without engine running in any manual car.

Mart.

also its alwasy possible to change gear without engine running in any manual car.

Nope, I am having an BMW 335i here right now and it doesn't work on that :)

Doesn't work at all! never mind though... :)

then id say that the gearbox is past its best. ive been able to do it in any car ive had.

as long as the revs are right it will shift. you can come down the box as well although harder as you have to raise the revs.

as said before its not recommended but is useful should the clutch fail as you can drive to the garage or home (i have had to on a couple of occasions)

You can do this with ALL manual cars without noises whatsoever.

And a bmw is just as much a normal car as any other car so it will work also in that car.

You need to do this on non synchro gearboxes, modern vehicles rarely leave the factory without one, its not bad for the vehicle provided you can do it properly!!!

You need to be a real Driver to be able to do this properly, i've driven a couple of beastly trucks that didnt have synchro boxes, link for anyone who wants to know more Double Declutching

Apologies if anyone has fallen to sleep reading any of this :lol: ;)

You need to do this on non synchro gearboxes, modern vehicles rarely leave the factory without one, its not bad for the vehicle provided you can do it properly!!!

You need to be a real Driver to be able to do this properly, i've driven a couple of beastly trucks that didnt have synchro boxes, link for anyone who wants to know more Double Declutching

I've driven a fully loaded 8 wheeler (30tons) back to the workshop without the use of a clutch pedal..........was very interesting ;)

I've driven a fully loaded 8 wheeler (30tons) back to the workshop without the use of a clutch pedal..........was very interesting ;)

I hope it it wasn't an Eaton Splitter or similiar as that would be cheating :lol: ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links