Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Replacement

meredith

Hi everyone

I bought my new RAV4 XT5 in 2005; Great car, but I soon found out that if it was left for more than four days it would not start because of a flat Battery. Complained to dealer, they checked charging circuits etc. and found nothing wrong. At first service I complained once more, they checked - found nothing wrong, but they agreed to change the Battery.

The RAV's starting problems after being left for 4 days or so continued despite the new Battery. Each year I insisted that the battery, alternator etc. were fully checked and tested and back would come the same answer that everything is alright!!

Now , although I am pleased with the RAV, I am fed up that I cannot go , for example, on holiday and leave the it at the airport because I know that the battery would be flat when I return.

My question is: Has anyone had the same problems with their Mk. 2 RAV4 and have solved it by purchasing a new battery (not from Mr T, I've tried that)? If so, please give me the details of the battery bought, from where, cost etc. Obviously, I want a battery that is the same as the original as regards dimensions, terminals etc..

Many thanks

Meredith

Hmmm, these modern cars have so many electronic gizmo's its a wonder the batterys survive at all! It sounds like something is drawing a small amount of current when you park it up, and after a few days draining the Battery below its current (available amps) threshold to enable a start! I presume an ammetor has been put in series with the Battery terminals when the vehicle is switched off to see if there is an 'unusual' amount of current drain? Obviously there will be a small amount as there are various electronic devices (alarm etc.) still active when parked up. In the good old days you could fit an isolatotion switch in the Battery feed cable to stop battery drain... but thats probably not veasable with these modern mobile electronic toy box'es!

Anyhow, find out what the current (amps not voltage) drain should be when parked (Mr. T should know or compare with a similar vehicle), then check what yours is. Hope this helps...

DaveH

Hi everyone

I bought my new RAV4 XT5 in 2005; Great car, but I soon found out that if it was left for more than four days it would not start because of a flat battery. Complained to dealer, they checked charging circuits etc. and found nothing wrong. At first service I complained once more, they checked - found nothing wrong, but they agreed to change the battery.

The RAV's starting problems after being left for 4 days or so continued despite the new battery. Each year I insisted that the battery, alternator etc. were fully checked and tested and back would come the same answer that everything is alright!!

Now , although I am pleased with the RAV, I am fed up that I cannot go , for example, on holiday and leave the it at the airport because I know that the battery would be flat when I return.

My question is: Has anyone had the same problems with their Mk. 2 RAV4 and have solved it by purchasing a new battery (not from Mr T, I've tried that)? If so, please give me the details of the battery bought, from where, cost etc. Obviously, I want a battery that is the same as the original as regards dimensions, terminals etc..

Many thanks

Meredith

Oh... I just had another thought, you could fit a higher capacity Battery (more stored amps) that may last the parking period if nothing comes of the above!

DaveH

Oh... I just had another thought, you could fit a higher capacity battery (more stored amps) that may last the parking period if nothing comes of the above!

DaveH

Thanks Daveh for the comments. Each time it has been checked in Mr.T's they state that every conceivable test has been done and passed! I have decided to buy a new Battery with higher AH and would like recommendations from owners that have experienced similar problems with their Mk.2 Diesel RAV4.

I may check the current drain when parked . Has anyone the normal drain, alarm on, current?

Thanks again

Meredith

Can't comment on how good they are but some members have used a solar powered trickle charger when parked up

for extended periods.

Oh... I just had another thought, you could fit a higher capacity battery (more stored amps) that may last the parking period if nothing comes of the above!

DaveH

Thanks Daveh for the comments. Each time it has been checked in Mr.T's they state that every conceivable test has been done and passed! I have decided to buy a new Battery with higher AH and would like recommendations from owners that have experienced similar problems with their Mk.2 Diesel RAV4.

I may check the current drain when parked . Has anyone the normal drain, alarm on, current?

Thanks again

Meredith

Unless you have been very unlucky with two duff batteries there must be quite a drain on your Battery if it will not start after only 4 days - I would have thought that the alarm etc would only be a very small drain on a Battery for a diesel engine - if you can do without your car, try disconnecting the battery for 4 days but you might need a charger or borrow one if it does go flat.

Your best bet might be to go to a good battery shop and ask them to do a high discharge test - most of my cars have had a battery life well in excess of 5/7 years.

Tell us which Toyota dealer you have been to.

Guy

I don't have a figure, but I would expect it to be a few tens of milliamps (that's say 0.01 amps to say 0.05 amps). I've seen that (or less) for a target total vehicle quiescent current spec in the past.

If the Battery is discharging in 4 days, it suggests the quiescent current is in the region of about 1 amp-ish. That's too high. Fitting a bigger Battery, might help, but doesn't get to the root cause, in my opinion.

Do what daveh suggests. Ammeter in series. If you can, bring the meter out on leads from under the bonnet, so you can fully close it, or a least get all the bonnet switches (alarm etc) closed and then put the vehicle into its normally locked state. Wait a few minutes and then see what the reading is.

I assume that you don't have any strange usage patterns? e.g. you only normally drive 200yards with light, heaters, wipers and everything else on?

Hi everyone

I bought my new RAV4 XT5 in 2005; Great car, but I soon found out that if it was left for more than four days it would not start because of a flat battery. Complained to dealer, they checked charging circuits etc. and found nothing wrong. At first service I complained once more, they checked - found nothing wrong, but they agreed to change the battery.

The RAV's starting problems after being left for 4 days or so continued despite the new battery. Each year I insisted that the battery, alternator etc. were fully checked and tested and back would come the same answer that everything is alright!!

Many thanks

Meredith

Hi Meredith. Not had a problem with my T180, infact I have left it for 2 month and when came back it started first time. I had a similar problem with a fiat a few years ago, after various tests and months of invest it was traced to the rear window heater relay sticking allowing the Battery to drain over 3 days, just a thought

im a paint sprayer for a living and seen this quite a few times normaly its the alarm modern alarms when set go to sleep mode after a while and draw very little current if not Battery will be flat in 2-3 days just had a focus thats done this it was new and did it all the time ant it turned out

to be the ignition barrell talking to the alarm hope this helps

Mine is mkii rav 4 and it has sat happilly for 2 weeks in the winter with full alarm on while on holiday and started first time on return without any issue so it certainly isn't the way it is supposed to be. I'd guess if one Battery was a bit iffy and they replaced it with another from the same supplier and around the same time then it wouldn't be too suprising if it was dodgy too (if they actually replaced it at all).

Mine is mkii rav 4 and it has sat happilly for 2 weeks in the winter with full alarm on while on holiday and started first time on return without any issue so it certainly isn't the way it is supposed to be. I'd guess if one battery was a bit iffy and they replaced it with another from the same supplier and around the same time then it wouldn't be too suprising if it was dodgy too (if they actually replaced it at all).

Hi

Many thanks to everyone's comments; will do somemore investigating and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

Meredith

For the little this may help !

Just recently had a friend with S Max that would discharge after 2 days.

After about half a dozen visits, Ford Engineer sat in car for about half an hour and found it to be CD unit that for some reason was still turning the disc inside the radio.

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem, as v annoying.

Regards

Hi everyone

Many thanks

Meredith

hi meredith

as you can see i have a 2002 d4d rav,i too have suffered the same troubles with Battery draining whilst on hols.

however i have now gone from a normal '550' amp up to a '740' amp Battery from Halfords,only just fits on Battery tray though,but... nowt stops me now ! ;)

cost approx £100 and £5 to have fitted...its huge,and weighed quite a bit....but kicks engine into life easy,even after a few days...even in cold weather

i had my previous battery (brannon starting bull) just on 3 years,by all acounts thats about all their good for.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...c=67760&hl=

When i had my 4.2 it was left for weeks at a time and never failed to start...well other than the link above when it died for good :( , i fitted an aftermarket Battery and again it never failed to start even been left for up to 3 weeks.

Only logic i can apply is when it was used it always when on a long run ( always good for keeping batteries in a topped up condition ).

You've got to assume you were supplied with a fully charged new Battery? It's kinda suss that you've had 2 batteries fail!

I would get hold of a meter and as previously suggested and check your Battery voltage >12.5V, and charging voltage with some load on Battery (heater blower/lights on etc). This should stay above 13.4V.

If charging voltage low check your earth points at battery,starter,bodywork for corrosion/tightness and connections at alternator .Even if they look ok it doesn't do any harm to give them a clean/nip up.

To check for anything draining the battery connect the meter in series and take a reading. You would be looking at a reading of 0.1A tops with alarm activated. If the currents drawing more than this I would target the most common fuses to drain batteries i.e. Radio/Interior lights. If there is no change try the fuse for the central locking incase there's a solenoid not fully de-energising.

There may be a short in the regulator for the alternator. This doesn't always show up in checks of flag up a charging problem in your dash. This will obviously give you a lower than normal charge then when parked up slowly drain the battery.

The battery in one's RAV just now is original and 6yr old and our Scenic over 7yrs and still going strong!!

Hi everyone

Many thanks

Meredith

hi meredith

as you can see i have a 2002 d4d rav,i too have suffered the same troubles with Battery draining whilst on hols.

however i have now gone from a normal '550' amp up to a '740' amp Battery from Halfords,only just fits on Battery tray though,but... nowt stops me now ! ;)

cost approx £100 and £5 to have fitted...its huge,and weighed quite a bit....but kicks engine into life easy,even after a few days...even in cold weather

i had my previous battery (brannon starting bull) just on 3 years,by all acounts thats about all their good for.

Thanks Rambler

I will do some tests this weekend and then will probably follow your footsteps to Halfords and buy a '740 A battery.

Thanks again.

Meredith

You've got to assume you were supplied with a fully charged new battery? It's kinda suss that you've had 2 batteries fail!

I would get hold of a meter and as previously suggested and check your battery voltage >12.5V, and charging voltage with some load on battery (heater blower/lights on etc). This should stay above 13.4V.

If charging voltage low check your earth points at battery,starter,bodywork for corrosion/tightness and connections at alternator .Even if they look ok it doesn't do any harm to give them a clean/nip up.

To check for anything draining the battery connect the meter in series and take a reading. You would be looking at a reading of 0.1A tops with alarm activated. If the currents drawing more than this I would target the most common fuses to drain batteries i.e. Radio/Interior lights. If there is no change try the fuse for the central locking incase there's a solenoid not fully de-energising.

There may be a short in the regulator for the alternator. This doesn't always show up in checks of flag up a charging problem in your dash. This will obviously give you a lower than normal charge then when parked up slowly drain the battery.

The battery in one's RAV just now is original and 6yr old and our Scenic over 7yrs and still going strong!!

Hi Oilkid

Many thanks for your test pointers; will do this weekend.

Thanks

Meredith

Hi all

To update after some testing:

Battery voltage seemed OK: 12.5V engine not running

14.2V engine running

13 .4 loaded

When I connected an ammeter the drain (no alarm) was 0.31A !!!! Very High. That is the problem I thought!

I removed a fuse for radio, satnav and it was ,after a minute or so, 10mA. and with alarm it was only marginally higher. Great.

I replaced the fuse and the current remained the same around 10 - 15 mA. Great But whywas the original current so high? I am wondering whether or not my old multimeter is playing up or have I solved the problem???

Have put Battery on charge and will see how it behaves over the next few weeks. Fingers crossed!!

Many thanks for your help.

Meredith

There isn't a CD running in the background or something? Try switching the radio off physically before pulling the fuse then measure the current.

You have to switch evrything off, lock the car and wait at least 10 minutes before checking for parasitic current as some aspects of the car will continue to draw current until they go into sleep mode.:)

You have to switch evrything off, lock the car and wait at least 10 minutes before checking for parasitic current as some aspects of the car will continue to draw current until they go into sleep mode.:)

Thanks Anchorman and Jamesbelfast for your advice. Will follow it this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have tested the Battery voltage etc and readings are all as expected (12.5V, 14.0V Charging and 13.4V partially loaded.

I have connected ammeter in series with Battery and again the values seem resonable : No Alarm set, parked mode I = 0.08A ; Alarm set, parked mode I = 0.08A. Virtually no difference. (Strangely when I changed the scale on my multimeter to 2A, the readings were 0.008A!)

Even allowing for the different readings on the different scales, this drain current seems to be in the correct order would not discharge the Battery over a few days. I have the ammeter connected and will keep it so for a few hours to monitor any change.

Could SKS with a 4.2 Diesel model please measure their drain current so that I can compare readings? My car was serviced last week at Mr T, when they tested everything again and I asked for Toyota's typical drain current values and was told 0.5A !!! I told them that WOULD discharge the battery in 4 days; because of their apparent lack of understanding I am coming out of retirement and investigating myself.

Thanks for your help

Meredith

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links