Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uk Road Tax And 4x4 Usage

Richard Sparrow

Hi,

My name is Richard Sparrow and I am a final year student at Teesside University. As part of my final year dissertation research I am investigating the impact of the new UK emissions based Vehicle Excise Duty (Road Tax) system on 4x4 users. To do this, I am looking for UK 4x4 users who would be willing to complete a short, anonymous online questionnaire.

I have set up a Facebook group to explain a little more about my research here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=294677402961

and the survey itself can be found here:

http://roadtaxsurvey.questionpro.com/

The survey takes roughly 10 minutes to complete, and I would be very grateful if anybody could find the time to complete it. If you have any questions about the survey or my research please do not hesitate to contact me,

I would also be interested to here from anybody else their views on the way VED is calculated, 4x4 user or not.

Thanks

Richard Sparrow

I sold my Land Cruiser because of the high VED.... £400 before I turned a wheel was disgusting :ffs:

If Top Gear presenters can prove that you can drive across Africa in ordinary cars then I don't see any reason why anyone should have a 4X4 in the U.K. unless they live in some remote part of Scotland or live on a working farm.

I dislike big cars and am all for the increase in road tax and whatever else. Biased, I know but up the Yaris and down with anything bigger! :D

If Top Gear presenters can prove that you can drive across Africa in ordinary cars then I don't see any reason why anyone should have a 4X4 in the U.K. unless they live in some remote part of Scotland or live on a working farm.

they don't often get 2-3ft of snow in Africa ....

I'm sure that there were plenty of people glad of their 4x4 this winter & more than a few wishing that their car had 4- wheel drive.

Not all 4wds are big & thirsty & the corollary is that not all big & thirsty SUVs etc. are 4wd.

I dislike big cars and am all for the increase in road tax and whatever else. Biased, I know but up the Yaris and down with anything bigger! :D

If it snows My house is only accessable by a proper 4x4. (something with lockable diffs)

Incidently Road tax has nothing to do with being 4x4 or not.

My M3 costs more to tax than my Hilux did!

Not to mention that thirstier cars pay more in tax anyway... The figure has probably changed but isn't about 80% of the money we pay for fuel tax?

Well before you jump on the bandwagon, maybe you should get some facts before siding with the tree huggers.

My Rav4 puts out 173 g/km which equates to £170/year road tax. Hardly gas guzzling. Up the Yaris ? well what

good is a Yaris to someone like me ? Both my wifes parents are elderly and disabled, my Rav seats are the perfect

height to get them in and out. The boot has ample room for folding wheel chairs.The price of a new Rav is £23K plus

which I pay myself as they get no state help for Mobility because of their age, unlike some many of the cheating

b^stards on mobility allowances who get everything thats going.

So I reckon I am paying enough of my hard earned cash to tax/duty/vat or whatever to own a 4X4 and personally

speaking I say f^ck people like you making statements like this but know nowt about the circumstances of people who

own bigger cars. :thumbsup:

edit, and just for the record, when a Rav4 hits 26MPH its no longer a 4X4 it changes into a front wheel drive to save fuel.

Well before you jump on the bandwagon, maybe you should get some facts before siding with the tree huggers.

My Rav4 puts out 173 g/km which equates to £170/year road tax. Hardly gas guzzling. Up the Yaris ? well what

good is a Yaris to someone like me ? Both my wifes parents are elderly and disabled, my Rav seats are the perfect

height to get them in and out. The boot has ample room for folding wheel chairs.The price of a new Rav is £23K plus

which I pay myself as they get no state help for Mobility because of their age, unlike some many of the cheating

So I reckon I am paying enough of my hard earned cash to tax/duty/vat or whatever to own a 4X4 and personally

speaking I say f^ck people like you making statements like this but know nowt about the circumstances of people who

edit, and just for the record, when a Rav4 hits 26MPH its no longer a 4X4 it changes into a front wheel drive to save fuel.

Nice one Dave, facts win out every time B)

Nicely put :thumbsup:

My view is.... if you want a big car and can afford to buy a big car then why not own one :huh: I have always known this to be called 'freedom of choice' :yes:

My Land Cruiser most frequently only had me in it but then it was my car paid for by my money.... b****cks to those who say that we cannot have what we want providing we pay for it :angry:

Surely the most sensible means of paying for vehicle licensing would be to add the cost to the fuel. That way gas- guzzlers pay more and people who do more miles would also contribute more. Plus foreign vehicles would also contribute to some extent.

Better still the governent could do away with a whole government department in one fell swoop - look at the money that would save alone. Collect the money more fairly and reduce the cost of collection - now there's an idea I would like to see a university student base his/her thesis on.

Yes we have the right to drive whatever we like or can afford but you have to remember all "rights" in our society also come with responsibilities.:)

Thanks to everybody who has completed the survey. Also thanks for all the comments on here they are very helpful too.

The survey is staying open until Monday so if there is anybody else who owns a 4x4 and has a few spare minutes to complete the survey it would be much appreciated.

The survey is here:

http://roadtaxsurvey.questionpro.com

Thanks

Richard

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links