Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No Second Key

KazB

I bought an Aygo+ yesterday from my local franchise dealer RRG Bury but they only gave me one key.When I asked for another they said they would try and contact the previous owner as they had not handed it over when they part ex the car.I said I was concerned that someone else still may have a key to my car and they promised to try and locate it.

They also said that if they could not I could order another one at a staggering cost of £180..........am I liable for this cost if they cannot find the spare key? I thought they were legally bound to supply 2 keys? The car is on a 08 plate

Any advice gratefully received.

Karen

It will depend on what is written on your contract of sale, if it says two keys they owe you a second key.

Is the £180 the price for a full remote central locking key, most Aygos are supplied with a non-remote key as the second one.

It will depend on what is written on your contract of sale, if it says two keys they owe you a second key.

Is the £180 the price for a full remote central locking key, most Aygos are supplied with a non-remote key as the second one.

No mention of keys at all on contract and £180 is price for remote. I think its about £80 for standard key

Its one of the things you must check when buying second hand vehicle. In some models you have to ensure you get the master key - especially if you're getting only one key; otherwise you can be seriously out of pocket.

I always ask for a full set, or make it condition of sale for the very reason you are now finding.

Around Milton Keynes way, remote key will set you back £99 (all inc.) - the prices quoted are taking the proverbial!

Its one of the things you must check when buying second hand vehicle. In some models you have to ensure you get the master key - especially if you're getting only one key; otherwise you can be seriously out of pocket.

I always ask for a full set, or make it condition of sale for the very reason you are now finding.

Around Milton Keynes way, remote key will set you back £99 (all inc.) - the prices quoted are taking the proverbial!

Unfortunately the deal was done by the time the salesman decided to inform me there was only one key.

Also re getting an extra key the dealer has told me I will have to order it from them otherwise the electronic recognition system will not work if I get it elsewhere??

I would have negotiated the second prior to shaking on the deal. Now you’ve parted with your money the dealer has the upper hand :(

Unfortunately the deal had already been done by the time the dealer revealed that only one key was available

Good idea Re: PUG/Cit.

The Aygo has an immob. as standard, so even if you get the blade cut, the car wont start due to the immob. - hence why you need the new key coded/paired to the car. So you have to go to the Dealer.

I would think out of the box...say call around Dealers a little further afield if you have family in other places of the Country. You may well find they are more sympathetic and give you a better price. As a bonus you could visit family too ;)

dont u dare pay for a second key misses u go straight back to that dealer and tell him that ur not havin a car without two keys its not ur fault that the prevoius owner lost it nor shoulkd u suffer as a consequence ma dealer tried that with me and he told me i wd have to pay £40 then he backed down and i got ma second key for nothing put it this way u woulnt buy a pair of shoes and only leave with one i had also bought my car when he decided to tell me that there was only one key so dont let him try that one on ya

dont u dare pay for a second key misses u go straight back to that dealer and tell him that ur not havin a car without two keys its not ur fault that the prevoius owner lost it nor shoulkd u suffer as a consequence ma dealer tried that with me and he told me i wd have to pay £40 then he backed down and i got ma second key for nothing put it this way u woulnt buy a pair of shoes and only leave with one i had also bought my car when he decided to tell me that there was only one key so dont let him try that one on ya

Hi,

Thanks for advice....I did call again and spoke to another salesperson who passed a message to the original salesman and lo and behold today I got my second key.He had actually been to the original owners house and got it back. Whoo hoo £80 saved !!

Thanks to everyone on here for their advice - I know where to come now if I have any problems with my little Aygo

Cheers everyone :group-cuddles: :group-cuddles:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links