Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

anyone got a starlet turbo?

glsep82

Yes, the Starlet is lighter, I'd agree with you there.

I can buy a 50000km manual 1995 Starlet GT Turbo with mild body damage - eg scrape running full length of car down one side only) in Japan for £ 420. Add on FOB charges and shipping and its still a bargain. This car would provide a perfectly standard engine and gearbox for very little money and a bunch of useful parts for someone with a Starlet.

I don't want a tuned Starlet as a donor car, so therefore it wasn't worth £2k to me.

I am very well aware of the hours that goes into customising a car, or restoring one - this is what I do for a living. In my experience you *never* recoup the investment unless its a seriously rare Bugatti or something of that ilk.

Andrew

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• toyotasera.co.uk

• ep82

• usaPASEO

• Carlgolsby

hey, im just a new guy registering the site, i think you ve got a great site here, anyway as an owner of a starlet gt turbo my self i think its great to see that the litle beast is appriciated from people around the world, mine is curently running without a catalyst, with a blitz air filter and a turbosmart blow off valve, i was supprised to see that after these minor mods the starlet was running in the class of type r's and GTIR's!! im now in the wait for some racing cams ordered and working on a custom made header (by me!) im looking forword in hearing any suggestions from you guys!! cheers!! :P

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by glsep82

hi,

i just joined this forum and i was wondering if anyone else has got a starlet gt turbo.

ive got an ep82 jap import.

its a wicked little car and easily keeps up with bigger so called performance cars.

I got one. I dont know about keeping up. I put a lot of money into my Honda Crx. and that is faster than that. Well the starlet being stock and all... heehee..

Anyways. I was wondering, if its possible for me to get somthing like a 1.8 into the starlet, like in my crx.

the crx has a bored Integra ls block with a 16g turbo on it. The turbo being from some Eclipse. The crx is fast but tops off at 110 because of the fuel cut of. :(

But the starlet/galanza I have is a 98 and is still lighter than the crx. Thats why I want to do an engine swap. Any ideas Anyone!! PLEASE!!!:D

When the Starlet boys run out of tuning options on their engine they look at making a hybrid 1500cc engine which can go up to 300bhp (450bhp with nitrous)

You would need a 5E-FE from a Paseo/Cynos or 5E-FHE engine from a Toyota Sera.

Andrew

A Sera is just under 1000kg. I don't know how light a Starlet is - perhaps 900kg?

Aerodynamics and frontal area may be superior on the Sera though. Basically a Sera = Starlet and Passenger

The Starlet engine gives a useful increase in real terms performance to a Sera, and then you can tune as per the Starlet, and when things get really desperate, you create a hybrid.

A.

hmmm.. galanza is 950 kg... hmm but problem is ... I already have a starlet. ;) and I had to import it from aussi... sera is all over dhaka... I dont want to run with the crowd.

besides in importing that it is still cheaper than a sera over in my country.. you know everyone goes "oooooo" when the door goes up.. and then I beat them in my old crx.. heehee... its funny trust me... the crx is heavy.. anywayz thats why I want a G..

What engine does a mr2 run?? and can't I push that into my G?

Mk2 MR2's run either:

3s-ge (NA upto 168bhp)

3s-gte (Turbo 220bhp)

3s-gte(trd) - V Rare Turbo 275bhp as standard

All 2.0, don't think it would fit in a starlet though :)

Maybe fit a MK1 Supercharged engine though, don't know what you bhp is like, the SC have seen upto 210 with a little work

I thought some MR2 turbos were 245bhp ?

I know of one Sera that has a MR2 engine fitted. This wasn't easy and meant some things had to be moved to the boot.

Hey All,i just got a GT Starlet imported and get it in about 2 weeks!i wouldnt have a clue how quik they are or if they can be made quiker!if anyone knows any mods that can be done cheaply to make it quiker then plz let me know!also i dunno if they are a reliable car or what!i just bought it as a project car,whack some 17"chromys on it and deck it and hopefully it will look good!any ideas?

TS, as far as I am aware the standard 3S-GTE MR2 Turbo has a max standard output of 225BHP but then could be wrong, will go away and check.

Think I'm right though.

I've got a couple of ep71 (shape before the gt) starlets to add to the mix.

Ones my daily driver and has the 4efte.

The other is my project car and has a 4age (1600) and turbo forced into it.

The ep71's and ep82's are great little cars with heaps of potential.

How’s it going Toyturbo? You guessed right it's gls here; nice to see some more GT owners are joining this forum, it was getting a bit lonely here.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by toyotasera.co.uk

The Sera is the pretty coupe body the Starlet Turbo should have come in :-)

Yes, it is possible to build a hybrid - 300bhp on normal fuel or 450bhp with Nitrous.    

I just want a 4E-FTE engine.

I have a couple of 5E-FHE engines to sell if anyone needs one...

I Need One, Havent learnt Yet How Much do you want for one Fellow Sera Owner

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Gls(EP-82) but i dont spend much time in here...infact im only in here now because of your message on toyotaownersclub.com.Something about a PM from some Yaris owner that seems to think he can whoop the mighty Starlet and has pasted 5 of em'....BAH MUPPET could'nt beat a Yugo never mind a Starlet turbo.:D

(yes you know who you are!!)

hey guys i'm new here. i have a 92 paseo and i want to do the 4e-fte engine swap to my el44. i know i need the engine and ecu but what else do i need. do i need the trans, axles, suspension,do i need a inntercooler? how hard is it to do the swap. any info would be very help full. the stock 5e-fe is too slow. my brother has a 94 supra and my other brother has a 2000 celica both cars well modified and tuned so next to them i'm slower than mud going up hill.

4E-FTE has an top mounted intercooler.

Basically you need a Starlet Turbo front cut, this contains all you need.

Andrew

hey guys i have a 92 paseo. i just blew my engine racing a v-6 mustang. i won but it costed me. i'm now looking for an engine and want to know how hard the 4e-fte swap is for my car. i know so far that the engine mounts right up with out modifying or fabricating motor mounts. do i need to use the scarlet transmission if i do the swap or can i run the stock trans. can i use stock suspension or do i have to buy one of those as well. do the axles need to be replaced. does the engine fit in and the hood close down or do i need to cut a custom hood scoop for it? basicly i need to know what i need to do to get this engine in and working. this swap is not common what so ever here in the states. thanks guys

sorry for the double post last time i posted this it didn't show up on my screen so i thought i would post again. thanks for the info and any more info you can give me

As for specifics on Paseos, I would check out www.paseopimp.com and the forums on there.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links