Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Security System

XTR 55

Help please. Today, went to lock Rav as usual using keyfob and the central locking locked and then unlocked itself 5 or 6 times before stopping, it remained unlocked.

Now the keyfob doesn't operate the locking at all. The key in drivers door doesn't operate the central locking either. However the ignition on locks the car and ignition off unlocks plus lock/unlock switch on the drivers grab handle works fine too on all doors.

Checked fuses etc. Am now having to check each door before leaving car anywhere.

Has anybody else come across this problem, and any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark

My first guess would be the Battery in the Key fob is flat, have you tried your spare key ?

Ian

My first guess would be the battery in the Key fob is flat, have you tried your spare key ?

Ian

Forgot to add.......lol. Tried spare key, absolutely nothing.

Its always possible (but unlikely) that your spare fob also has a flat Battery, so you could try changing the Battery in one of the fobs.

I would then try disconnecting the main car Battery for a couple of minutes to see if the alarm resets. I am fairly sure the alarm fitted to you car has an internal battery in the siren, but this might reset the alarms ECU which I believe is separate.

Note if you disconnect the battery you will lose radio presets etc.

Ian

Disconnecting Battery didn't work either.

Does anybody know if there is a reset on the alarm itself? Where is the receiver for the signal from key to alarm, any ideas please.

Just another thought (clutching at straws here), I have had problems in the past which I put down to possibly jamming by other local radio sources ie it only happened at home. There was also quite a bit in the press a while ago about interference of key fobs by "wireless devices".

Have you tried your fob in different locations ?

Have you checked all your fuses, I am not clear which fuse the alarm uses

I have attached another document that I came across a while ago, not sure its relevant but at the time some of the data seemed to apply to our alarm and I thought you might like it for reference.

Ian

TVSS_IVS_alarm_settings.pdf

Thanks for the document Ian. Have read through it but can't find anything relevant to my current problem.

Have trolled the tinternet for solutions but nothing as yet. Have tried some of the solutions for older Toyota security systems too.

Does anybody know where the keyfob signal receiver is located, is it in drivers door?????

The TVSS ecu is located behind the glovebox but does anybody know how it can be reset. Believe it has its own power backup because disconnected main Battery for an hour yesterday, lost every other setting but central locking still engages when ignition turned on.

It was my guess looking at the installed components that the antenna was in the area of the ECU.

I strongly suspect that the siren is the only unit that has a Battery in it, the alarm ECU probably saves its settings because it is fitted with non volatile memory like the engine ECU. (Toyota would not want you to have to reprogram the alarm if you disconnected the Battery for any length of time).

I think powering down the car would reset the alarm if that was the problem.

Next "idea", could your key/s have got out of sync with the alarm. They cycle codes in sync but have been known to loose sync.

I think someone recently suggested that you could initiate a re-sync by holding both buttons down ? I can find no reference to this in the manual.

Good luck

Ian

D'oh !!

Its just occurred to me that the key fob locking is separate to the alarm, which is an option on these cars.

Looking at a previous post it seems that the remote lock receiver unit is in the back passenger wing.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...=sync+alarm+key

I guess this unit arms the security ECU.

Ian

Problem sorted by Mr T's. Apparently the ecu (presume referring to security one) went !Removed! up, so had to be reset. Don't know how they did that, wouldn't say. I will try and find out from a mechanic m8, but sorted out anyway. To be honest an altogether decent experience from the dealer concerned.

Glad to hear you are sorted, diagnosing the electronics in the Toyota is a real pain. Access to anything via the OBD port other than the basic engine CPU seems to need a load of costly custom Toyota hardware and software.

"Now if it was like a Golf", (the wife's car) You would be able to download a free (reduced functionality) copy of VAG-COM Diagnostic software to a laptop, buy an interface cable/box for a few quid and you have 80% of the functionality the local garage has. Pay to upgrade the free software and you have 100%.

Its amazing on the today's cars, once you have started the diagnostic software you realise that many of the major systems in the car now have their own CPU/control units. Eg For the Golf there are quite a few: ABS, Climate control, locks, sunroof, Seats, Alarm, Engine Airbags etc.

A couple of faults on the Golf have been simple connector problems that have caused a control unit to go into fail safe mode. (eg airbag connector under the seat) Often the fail safe mode simply causes that functionality to cease to work. Read the code, find the fault and clear the code and everything starts working again. Sometimes there is no continuous fault to find (its marked as intermittent) and simply clearing the code fixes the problem.

It will be interesting to find out what control unit they reset and the fault code that was recorded

Ian

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links