Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Mods

corollasr

ok,

i have a 98 corolla sr(4a-fe) and i want to get some more power out of it. i currently have an inductionkit on it and that has given me a proven 9 hp increase but there is still a yearning for that bit more power. i will be getting a backbox as the standard one looks cack and rusty, but apparently i can do things to the innards, like skimming or gas flowing the head or proting and polishing without telling the insurance company as they won't be able to tell without taking the enginer apart.

is this correct or would it be easily noticeable asi can't afford to pay any more on my insurance :(

cheers for any help

ed

they might not notice but you should always declare everything u have done on your car.

If itake it to the extreme say you crashed into a house and caused major structual damage the insurance company take your car apart see what uve done and then ur responsible for £100ks worth of building bit extreme but never worth the risk for the sake of another £20 a month.

You can get the enginge ported and polished mate for about 500-600 from fensport but you will have to take the head out and ship it to them :lol::lol: not sure what the bhp gains would be

apparently i could get it chipped and it wouldnt be noticeable.

knowlson, do youthink i'd gain enough power for it to be worthwhile?

cheers

ed

I spoke with a chap from www.tunit.co.uk which makes chips for diesels.. It gives them on average an extra 25% gain in BHP.. they are now looking to build one for petrol engines.

Superchips will only give you a very small extra BHP, the one for the Corolla is around 5% gain, at around £200.00 a throw, I would save up for the super charger.

Or pay £5.00 and get a resister that clips iin-line to the ECU.. :eek:

bearing in mind i'm only 17 i wont be getting a supercharger any time soon. i just want more power without it being physically visible just by looking at the engine.

so any ideas would be great

cheers

ed

bearing in mind i'm only 17 i wont be getting a supercharger any time soon. i just want more power without it being physically visible just by looking at the engine.

so any ideas would be great

cheers

ed

Without looking at forced induction you really are quite limited.

Without spending lots of money you are really only talking of a few BHP you could gain with basic modifications.

Porting and Polishing may get you a few more but for the expense involved is it really worth it? The port and polish being successful all really depends on the cylinder head being manufactured poorly in the first place. I can't speak for your engine, but the 3S-GTE in the GT-Four doesn't really respond very well to it as its well made in the first place.

You could gut the catalytic converter(s) that would release some BHP and more importantly torque, this would be pretty undetectable, but you will have problems come MOT time so not recommended.

If you do have a lot of money to spend on the mods why not spend that money on insurance and buy a more powerful standard car?

may well do a full exhaust system with a decat but just fit the original when MOT comes. i basically wanna get about 140bhp out of it without big work.

cheers for all your help though

ed

may well do a full exhaust system with a decat but just fit the original when MOT comes. i basically wanna get about 140bhp out of it without big work.

cheers for all your help though

ed

Think 140 is a bit high dude :( Thats why I went for the supercharger conversion the 4afe is cack you cannot get much out of the poor little :censor: I tired :crybaby: your looking at about 125-130 at a push. I dont think the port and polish would be worth the money mate :crybaby:

oh ok. well i think i'll chip, full exhaust, cams if i can find them and then maybe a small shot of nitrous. hopefully that'll help. 0-60 is currently 8.9 so wanna get it down to about 8.2, so those mods should get me there.

cheers

ed

a small shot of nitrous.

I would have thought that no would be fairly visible, considering you're trying to make subtle modifications that won't be noticed :blink:

NOS wont be for a few years but the other power mods i'll do as and when i can afford them. i need to get some brakes aswell so will have to structure my modding plan

ed

I was always under the impression that if you are in semi serious accident the police go over your car with a fine tooth comb!!! so if your planning not to declare stuff to the insurance you'd better be carefull :arrgg-matey: :ph34r::thumbsup:

yeah i know but i have the craving for more power. dave you should have your grille sometime this week, next day or so.

will probly just dothe exhaust, and then do the chip and cams if the insurance are ok with it. really wanna strip it but that means removing air con and loadsa other heavy stuff, so i'm in a hard situation. what to do?

ed

yeah i know. well if i can find an insurance company that will cover engine work without charging me loads then i'll do the works. cams, full exhaust from manifold, chip and gas flowed head

dave the grille should be with you in the next few days.

ed

To be honest Id learn to enjoy the car as it is before worrying about modding her up too much..youre only 17 and experiance behind the wheel counts for an awfull lot :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links