Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeeky Dash

Andyf3854

My wife's Rav4 has a very annoying squuek coming from the dash area. It is like a high pitched 'chirping' sound and it is driving me mad! I have tried holding the dash in various places to identify where it is coming from but no matter what I do it still squeeks. Does anyone have any idea what is causing it and how to stop it?

My wife's Rav4 has a very annoying squuek coming from the dash area. It is like a high pitched 'chirping' sound and it is driving me mad! I have tried holding the dash in various places to identify where it is coming from but no matter what I do it still squeeks. Does anyone have any idea what is causing it and how to stop it?

Hi Andy, welcome to the club.

Which model/year RAV do you have? Will help members with suggestions.

Ah yes that may well help! It is a 2004 4.2 XT3 2.0l petrol. I am sure I read it was a common fault before I got it but I can't find the information anywhere.

Ah yes that may well help! It is a 2004 4.2 XT3 2.0l petrol. I am sure I read it was a common fault before I got it but I can't find the information anywhere.

OK Andy, give us a few more clues - continuous or intermttent, heater/fan on or off, smoothe or rough road surface, when car cold or warmed up etc.

There is bound to be someone looking in who will have some suggestions eventually [hopefully that don't involve looking for lost mice/hamsters/budgies etc ;) ]

These noises can be really frustrating.

The squeak from your dash is probably caused with the bulkhead window wiper/battery cowling rubbing against the base of the windscreen......The noise sounds like its behind the dash in the radio area but it's coming from the outside.

To confirm, pop the bonnet and grab hold of the bulkhead area (roughly where the Battery is located) and push against it. You will see the upper part of the cowling moving against the windscreen and hear the squeak/cracking sound your hearing inside the motor.

The cure is in the link below.

Mr T may do the repair for you outside the warranty? If not they should at least supply the kit for free so you can DIY.

TSB V004-01.pdf

Thanks for the advice, it seems to come and go, it will be there for a few days then go for a few days then come back. It happens on bumpy roads. I did have a look under the bonnet as I thought that may be where it is coming from but I couldn't hear it from the outside (although my wife said it did make a squeak when she was inside). I shall have another look. Thanks again for the help.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links