Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scared!

varonda

Hi All,

Just joined this forum as I've bought, and take delivery next week, of a an '03 plate diesel Rav 4 with 70k full service history with the cam belt done at 60k

Having found and read some of the posts on this forum I'm really scared that I've done the right thing !!!!!

This DMF thingy is it really a big problem and should I be concerned ? on test drive the vehicle felt nice and drove well , we were both impressed---and now I've been reading some of your experiences. Is it a definite that it'll go or could I be lucky and not have a problem?

A bit of reassurance that I've made a good move would not be amiss.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Regards

Varonda [ I ride a bike!]

Hi All,

Just joined this forum as I've bought, and take delivery next week, of a an '03 plate diesel Rav 4 with 70k full service history with the cam belt done at 60k

Having found and read some of the posts on this forum I'm really scared that I've done the right thing !!!!!

This DMF thingy is it really a big problem and should I be concerned ? on test drive the vehicle felt nice and drove well , we were both impressed---and now I've been reading some of your experiences. Is it a definite that it'll go or could I be lucky and not have a problem?

A bit of reassurance that I've made a good move would not be amiss.

Hope to hear from some of you.

Regards

Varonda [ I ride a bike!]

I would really love to reassure you Varonda, at 70k miles it may have been done, have you checked? but if not its almost inevitable, some on here may argue with that answer, but another poster recently asked if anyone with an early D4D had done 100k without replacing it and i don't think he is having any takers, however the cost of having it done seems to be coming down a bit, Toyota will charge you £1600+, but there are independents out there who can do it for roughly half this figure.. If you are buying from a Mr T, tell them your concerns + ask them if they will give you a guarantee, no harm in you doing that with a none Mr T as well, but get it in writing, alternately if its a private deal + you really want the car, try knocking them down on price + put the money aside, + hope + pray that your Rav won't need it do'ing, they are a really great car + not only Ravs have DMF problems..Good Luck :thumbsup: Stew

If I found one that drove nice I wouldn't even hesitate. I'd rather have a RAV and even a risk of a dmf than a LR or Ford etc and the baggage that goes with them INCLUDING dmf's. A dmf failure is a risk that goes with a diesel engine vehicle (it seems less so as time goes on but even that isn't for certain). It is not a risk that is exclusive to a RAV.

Now while the weather is nice I was going to wash my car but I've just realised that the telegraph pole outside next doors head is just long enough to hit me on the head if it were to fall my way :doctor: so I think I'll keep an eye on that instead :lol:

The RAV is a great vehicle so go ahead and enjoy it!

Welcome to the club and what about those photos you were going to post???

The nature of the forums is that car hypochondriacs will make the most posts, whereas the majority will not have any significant problems (you rarely hear of the individual, great features of the RAV). I've been looking at other cars, and if it's a torquey diesel, they could have the same DMF problems as the RAV diesels. Just look at the other forums for other makes.

However, you can bet your life Toyota and other manufacturers will have detailed info of their own failure rates for components (six sigma, weibull analysis and all that) and they could tell you with a high degree of confidence when something will fail. My take on it is either take out an extended warranty and make sure you understand what is, and more importantly what is not, covered; or for future purchases, look at other manufacturers who are offering five and seven year warranties as standard.

hi varonda

well my rav4 has done 87'000 miles now (55'000 of them mine),and my DMF seems to be showing the first signs of inevitable failure.

i dont have a 'jangly noises',but more of heavy ish vibrations through the vehicle,and the 'odd wobble' on the clutch pedal..but only on cold morning starts !.

BUT....would i have another rav4,yes yes yes....without a doubt,nime has served me very well,with no troubles in 4 1/2 years.

my only concern now is,wait until it finally 'goes wrong' at the roadside,or pay out and get it fixed a.s.ap????????

a local independant garage has qouted me £1400 +vat,new DMF,clutch and all around it fitted..

will get prices from toyota this week,but i did take out a extended warranty from 'warranty wise'....just in case,they seem very helpfull....at the moment

its that or £££££'s for another newer rav4,but i dont want to change it,mine should cover 100'000 miles happily....be interested to see what's the highest mileage 4.2 D4D model on this forum?

consider this as well,the 'few' rav4 owners on here..compared to worldwide international owners that are not on here :)

i hope all this info helps ease your thoughts

rambler

On "The dreaded Dmf" post currently to be found on page 2, A couple of posters have got replacements for £755 + £ 800 respectively admitedly these were solid flywheels, Kingo, who is far more knowledgable than I am thinks these might cause problems to other parts of the drive train.. I can only say that we have been replacing Dmfs with Smfs on our cabs for years with no problems.. some of which have done 100,000+mls but this is a statement of fact, not a reccomendation..Stew

On "The dreaded Dmf" post currently to be found on page 2, A couple of posters have got replacements for £755 + £ 800 respectively admitedly these were solid flywheels, Kingo, who is far more knowledgable than I am thinks these might cause problems to other parts of the drive train.. I can only say that we have been replacing Dmfs with Smfs on our cabs for years with no problems.. some of which have done 100,000+mls but this is a statement of fact, not a reccomendation..Stew

hi stew

thanks for your thoughts,i am tempted to go smf,but the dmf is what the rav4 comes with,and i just prefer to keep it that way....just in case anythin else goes wrong in time to come.

thanks again anyway

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links