Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Is Waxing

KHM

It's been hitting -17 here and I've been having problems.

Fuel filter was changed about 6 weeks ago for same problem even though it should also have been done in November, I can't say whether it was or not.

It had already waxed when I added petrol to the tank in desperation, that made little improvement and I added waxbreaker gold the following day. Still having problems now and the temperature has risen to about -1 through the day. It shouldn't be so sold at night for a few days now.

I realise I'l probably just have to wait for it to sort itself out this time, but is there anything else I can do to prevent it in future? Not everyone is having problems about here and they seem to be fine as soon as the temperature has risen.

Fuel filter was changed about 6 weeks ago for same problem even though it should also have been done in November, I can't say whether it was or not.

It had already waxed when I added petrol to the tank in desperation, that made little improvement and I added waxbreaker gold the following day. Still having problems now and the temperature has risen to about -1 through the day. It shouldn't be so sold at night for a few days now.

I realise I'l probably just have to wait for it to sort itself out this time, but is there anything else I can do to prevent it in future? Not everyone is having problems about here and they seem to be fine as soon as the temperature has risen.

I'd try using something like vpower diesel, as well as the petrol added - is it about 10% petrol - can't remember. I've had the same problem with our red diesel.

Have you tried running a small fan heater in the car or underneath the car - when it was minus umpteen in January, I did that for a few nights.

Which fuel from whom (?) do you use?

hello mate

the cure might be two, as follows:

- jet kerosene --- in proportion 1:20 (1ltr of kerosene to 20 ltr of kerosene)-- it works as per my experience.

- additive like anti gel --- this works subject you add + mix it at +40C in the mixing tank before topping your tank. I used to have small settle tank in my garage before and mixed it, but after i ve consides the kerosene is the best cure.

Jet kerosene has all additives to prevent gel origination in the air (!!!) up to -50C -- so it is the best one. The petrol is applied in emmergency just to get to garrage. Cheers/Igor

hello mate

the cure might be two, as follows:

- jet kerosene --- in proportion 1:20 (1ltr of kerosene to 20 ltr of kerosene)-- it works as per my experience.

- additive like anti gel --- this works subject you add + mix it at +40C in the mixing tank before topping your tank. I used to have small settle tank in my garage before and mixed it, but after i ve consides the kerosene is the best cure.

Jet kerosene has all additives to prevent gel origination in the air (!!!) up to -50C -- so it is the best one. The petrol is applied in emmergency just to get to garrage. Cheers/Igor

SORRY --- it was misprinted

the correct edition is ---> - jet kerosene --- in proportion 1:20 (1ltr of kerosene to 20 ltr of diesel)

Cheers

I would tend to use branded fuels too. I'm fairly sure 10% petrol is too high.

[/quote

ys i would use branded diesel as well but as far as i caught the author -- he asked for emergency case help but not for usual use/

cheers/Igor

yes each brand must to assure the custome to have a winter quality fuel with PP (pour point) less than -20C

cheers

As mentioned in previous posts, you can add up to 20% kerosene (paraffin) to diesel to alter the cloud point (the point when diesel starts to crystallize). This starts anywhere between +3 to -5'c. and causes wax crystals to get trapped in the fuel filter and eventually choke it. This rectifies itself with warmer diesel or a lighter H/C mixed with the fuel. Changing the filter for a spare (clean the one removed for reuse) may help but it's not practical. I would try letting your car idle for 10mins or so the fuel picks up some heat from the engine and takes it back to the tank (helping to melt the wax) but your best bet is to use a wee heater or park yir car where there is a bit more shelter from the elements/wind chill.

A sound suggestion from john21245 was to keep the tank full:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...st&p=959124

Igor - The cold filter plugging point specification for UK fuel in winter is about -15C I believe. It probably doesn't need to go as low as yours normally, but we are having a colder winter than we have had for some time.

Thanks folks, I'm up and running again but have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of winter yet. Leaving the engine idleing hasn't done the trick, it gets me about half a mile at low speed along a track and when I hit the road it chokes up on me again.

I'll get hold of something to add to it in before if waxes nest time around.

I have been told that 1ltr of petrol to a full tank is about the right quantity but didn't know about the kerosene trick. Thanks again ;)

Neither petrol or standard kerosene have the lubrication qualities of diesel especially for modern high pressure diesel systems. By using such additives you may be risking damaging the fuel system especially the high pressure fuel pump.

There are loads of proprietry anti-waxing agents available for around a fiver. Most decent motor factors stock them.

I know of at least one brand made by Comma. Also some central heating oil suppliers also stock the stuff as it is used in 35 second heating oil.:)

At present kero is used to cross blend diesel to alter the cloud point. Kero is used since BTU value is very similar to diesel and still has lubricating properties. Using petrol or even alcohol will fix the wax problem but will decrease the lube properties of diesel and also increase the risk of detonation with the increased combustion temps. Additives are mostly H/C based and are only really effective if they are put in the tank before the cloud point is reached. (they won't dissolve wax once formed) This is due to the wee molecules filling all the spaces in the diesel where the wax would form.

Its a bit of a catch 22 situation. idling the engine increaes the temperature but our engines circulate so much fuel (there is a fuel cooler under the car) that it may well circulate enough fuel to clog it with waxed diesel. After a short time the fuel in the tank becomes very warm but its just striking a balance during that transition period that is the problem.

Red diesel eh Bothy?

Are you driving a tractor now?

nearly - its for a fork lift truck and a 50kva generator. Word is that power outtages are going to become common so I'm buying up generators..... won't tell you how much red diesel we buy at a time, but I could buy a 1994 RAV4 for each fill up!! priorities slipping!

Now - anyone know of a good wood shredder going cheap anywhere?????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links