Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warranty Wise

rambler

hi folks

right here we go..........

after having my 'warranty wise '..'assessment' form filled in by the service dept at colchester toyota,in which the word 'noisy' and not 'imminent failure' was used to describe the possible state of my flywheel,or what i think is possible flywheel troubles.

warranty wise have declined to pay for any part of my claim whatsoever. :angry:

claiming that the flywheel is a wear & tear part,and has not suffered from sudden & unexpected failure.they say that as i can still drive the vehicle it has not yet failed,therefore it is not covered.

so i have replied with something along the lines of,....

if i had only contacted them once it had failed,and not before,would they take that as 'sudden & unexpected failure' and accept the claim then. :huh:

i am awaiting their reply :g:

all im trying to do is get it fixed before it breaks down on me totally..which i think is common sense

or i may well cancel the policy,as just doesnt seem worth it, as this is a major job and the costs are quite scary,which is wy i took out the policy...just in case.

see what happens,it is getting a little iffy to select 1st gear sometimes though :(

Does the warranty cover fair wear and tear - if not you may be goosed as the DMF isnormally considered as a consumable item similar to brakes and clutch.:)

These types of warranty firms will always try and get out of a claim, wear and tear is a common excuse.

You would probably be better to try and make the clutch/Flywheel fail, maybe something like 5th gear and keep dropping the clutch until it breaks, I would not normally recommend such drastic action, but if a sudden failure is the only way there going to pay up, then make it suddenly fail. ^_^ Sounds like its going to cost you at some point, better now then later.

I `m just wondering because you have already informed them, its on its way out, would this go against any claim???

Good luck

hi folks

after having my 'warranty wise '..'assessment' form filled in by the service dept at colchester toyota,in which the word 'noisy' and not 'imminent failure' was used to describe the possible state of my flywheel,or what i think is possible flywheel troubles.

claiming that the flywheel is a wear & tear part,and has not suffered from sudden & unexpected failure.they say that as i can still drive the vehicle it has not yet failed,therefore it is not covered.

if i had only contacted them once it had failed,and not before,would they take that as 'sudden & unexpected failure' and accept the claim then. :huh:

all im trying to do is get it fixed before it breaks down on me totally..which i think is common sense

or i may well cancel the policy,as just doesnt seem worth it, as this is a major job and the costs are quite scary,which is wy i took out the policy...just in case.

see what happens,it is getting a little iffy to select 1st gear sometimes though :(

I was hoping it was going to work out for you - but my experience with warranties (Warranty Direct) was that the air con failed on my old car, and they wanted me to pay to get it stripped out by a garage, and they would send an independent engineer to assess it, and if it was legitimate they would replace with reconditioned part, and if not, I would have to pay for the garage and engineer's time.

If I keep my RAV, then it will be Toyota extended warranty so that the bu**shi**ng is kept to a minimum.

Hi Rambler

What excuse have the wormers came up with??

hi oilkid

well....i guess that if the 'service dept' had used the words ' imminent failure' instead of just 'noisy' then that may have changed things.

but i cant prove it , after all it is only noisy at the moment....but that could well change,anytime,as we know

and saying the 'flywheel' is a wear & tare part,as most parts under the engine bay suffer from wear & tare,any mechanical item does in an engine as far as im concerned.

if it failed today,and i rang them to claim..it may have been a different story

im very lucky indeed that i have savings,that were to put towards a house deposit....that will have to wait now :censor:

but thats not the point,i took out the 'warranty' for a reason,..to pay for things like this.

not good

These types of warranty firms will always try and get out of a claim, wear and tear is a common excuse.

You would probably be better to try and make the clutch/Flywheel fail, maybe something like 5th gear and keep dropping the clutch until it breaks, I would not normally recommend such drastic action, but if a sudden failure is the only way there going to pay up, then make it suddenly fail. ^_^ Sounds like its going to cost you at some point, better now then later.

I `m just wondering because you have already informed them, its on its way out, would this go against any claim???

Good luck

hi jedi134

yep.....thats what im contemplating,dropping the clutch until the vehicle just 'stops',but not in rush hour in colchester,on a quiet ish road somewhere.....safer

but i reckon ,due to response from them so far,im done for

i will await their reply though,just in case

well....i guess that if the 'service dept' had used the words ' imminent failure' instead of just 'noisy' then that may have changed things.

Get the service dept to redraft the assessment form with "the noise indicates an incipient failure condition which, when when the DMF fails soon, will become a safety issue when in transit". Geez - preventative maintenance. You'd think the service dept would be happy to help out to get the work.

hi folks

I was hoping it was going to work out for you - but my experience with warranties (Warranty Direct) was that the air con failed on my old car, and they wanted me to pay to get it stripped out by a garage, and they would send an independent engineer to assess it, and if it was legitimate they would replace with reconditioned part, and if not, I would have to pay for the garage and engineer's time.

If I keep my RAV, then it will be Toyota extended warranty so that the bu**shi**ng is kept to a minimum.

hi marsky

yes i did have a toyota extended warranty,and had my 'fuel filter head' replaced by them to eliminate the howling noise D4D's suffer from.

they also though it was the water pump,'howling' so that was replaced a couple of years ago.

but to this day....i still have the 'howling noise',so problem was never solved :rolleyes:

but as keep saying,my good ol rav4 has never actually let me down yet :thumbsup: ,its never broken down or left me stranded..in 4 1/2 years.....they may be about to change though

which is why i took out quentin wilsons 'warranty'..because of what 'might happen' in time to come

Get the service dept to redraft the assessment form with "the noise indicates an incipient failure condition which, when when the DMF fails soon, will become a safety issue when in transit". Geez - preventative maintenance. You'd think the service dept would be happy to help out to get the work.

blimey

very nicely worded marsky,very impressive

unfortunatly,the service dept there have never been overly helpful...ever,the most helpful girl there left about a year ago, because of the stress of working with the 'others'.,i did complain to head office once,then things changed :D

they all nice to me....for a while :lol:

and i have been working 'all the hours' recently,so had no time off to get there :angry:

that may change on thurs though...my early day, if i havnt heard from warranty wise,i go and see service dept again..thats if rav4 hasnt broken down by then :rolleyes:

yep.....thats what im contemplating,dropping the clutch until the vehicle just 'stops',but not in rush hour in colchester,on a quiet ish road somewhere.....safer

you could just sit outside your house, dropping the clutch untill "BANG" :D

The neighbours would think you`ve gone mad like but never mind. :ffs:

hi folks

what makes this even worse is that on their website,under the list of 'payouts'...which is huge !.

there is already a claim by someone for a toyota rav4....flywheel,would you believe it :censor: :censor: :censor:

so whats good for one ...aint good for another.

im not a happy bunny

hi folks

what makes this even worse is that on their website,under the list of 'payouts'...which is huge !.

there is already a claim by someone for a toyota rav4....flywheel,would you believe it :censor: :censor: :censor:

so whats good for one ...aint good for another.

im not a happy bunny

Hey Rambler, don't give up on this. You need to be persistent. If they have paid out on a RAV flywheel previously you have a precedent to throw back at them. As far as I am aware, the DMF is not a service part and was originally fitted to the vehicle with the intention of remaining for life [pity it is flawed technology] You need to use this information and insist that you approached them at this stage to save any further catastrophic failure that could potentially cost considerably more at the least or result in a potentially fatal accident at the worst.

Presumably that is what Main dealers would do if they knew the DMF was on the way out and the vehicle was under warranty - they wouldn't wait until further costly damage was done.

These warranty companies are after our money and will try to weasel out of anything they can. I once claimed for an 'Air Spring' for a BMW and they tried to say that, because the garage had used a different term for the part in the claim to that used in the policy documentation, I was not covered.

Keep at them.

hi folks

have emailed warranty wise the following...

Good morning to you

I am emailing once again as i have just looked at your rather interesting list of successful claims you advertise on your website.

The list is remarkably long,but again very reasuring at the same time,and some very interesting and substantial payouts.

About halfway down is one that caught my eye,...a payout for a Toyota rav4 'dual mass' flywheel no less.

And just below that one,many flywheel payouts,on many different makes of vehicle.

Also many various clutch's on various vehicles,strange,as you state that you dont cover frictional 'clutch' materials on page 17 section 13 of your policy booklet.

You advertise all these 'genuine authorised claims'

Im sorry but,i dont see the difference between what i've claimed for and had declined, and what someone else has successfuly claimed for.

It is advertised there very proudly for all to see

Although 'sharon harvey' in the service dept at colchester toyota only actually noted the word 'noisy' on the assessment sheet, and thier engineer called 'colin' who was asked to briefly actually assess the vehicle told me that he could feel vibrations through my clutch pedal & vehicle,which is not mentioned on the assessment sheet, the noise & vibrations indicates an incipient failure condition which, when the DMF fails soon, will become a safety issue when in transit.

So i believe that not waiting for 'sudden' failure and carrying out 'preventative maintenance' would be more suitable for my situation

And given that you advertise that you have already paid out to others with effectevly the same problem........

And even on the same vehicle....a toyota RAV4

I am asking to you to re-consider your decision please

I have also taken up this topic on the 'toyota owners club' website nationwide as i have been a member for years now,and receiving lots of interest.

When i took out my policy,i felt very reasured by 'Quentin Wilson' that the warranty was the best,so far im afraid i feel very let down

Hope to hear from yourselves very soon

claiming that the flywheel is a wear & tear part
Can you list any part of a car that is not subject to wear and tear?

When you look at what is actually covered by a third party warranty and how much evidence (and the cost of that evidence) you have to supply to make a claim it does make you wonder why anyone bothers to take out the cover.

claiming that the flywheel is a wear & tear part
Can you list any part of a car that is not subject to wear and tear?

When you look at what is actually covered by a third party warranty and how much evidence (and the cost of that evidence) you have to supply to make a claim it does make you wonder why anyone bothers to take out the cover.

hi hertsnminds

well said ! ! ! !...i second that

Hey Rambler, don't give up on this. You need to be persistent. If they have paid out on a RAV flywheel previously you have a precedent to throw back at them. As far as I am aware, the DMF is not a service part and was originally fitted to the vehicle with the intention of remaining for life [pity it is flawed technology]

Keep at them.

The DMF is not flawed technology, it takes a huge amount of stress in its life and will wear out at some stage just like any other moving part. We only hear of DMF failures on forums, there are thousands out there who have never had problems with them (I know that is no comfort to anyone who has suffered) but they are not warranted for life!

The problem with MOST off the peg warranties are that they are insurance plans, you INSURE yourself against a sudden and unexpected failure, if it hasnt gone bang and failed then it isnt covered. The manufacturers warranty doesnt quite work like that and you would probably be covered if it was ABOUT to fail. A very important distinction when choosing a policy. Yes you pay more for extended warranty but you get far more coverage

Kingo :thumbsup:

quote]

The DMF is not flawed technology, it takes a huge amount of stress in its life and will wear out at some stage just like any other moving part. We only hear of DMF failures on forums, there are thousands out there who have never had problems with them (I know that is no comfort to anyone who has suffered) but they are not warranted for life!

So, is there a scheduled service interval where the DMF is opened up and checked/replaced or is it simply pot luck depending on usage and driving style? Other wear parts are regularly checked [or should be] eg brakes, steering, suspension etc.

I know how to drive in order to ensure longevity of brakes, gearbox, engine, tyres etc. but how do I [and should I really need to] drive to preserve the DMF?

Does anyone know what actually causes them to fail?

Until DMFs [any make] can be designed and manufactured to operate more consistently and reliably, I for one, still consider them to be flawed. The concept seems fine but the manufacturing/engineering aspect still has a way to go as far as I can see :unsure:

Yes I can understand why you would think it is flawed technology but the DMF makes for a far smoother and more comfortable drive, taking up the excessive vibrations caused by excellent torque on modern engines. You cannot inspect the DMF like you could a brake pad

There was an excellent youtube clip showing how the DMF works posted on TOC a few days ago, I have to go out this afternoon but if I find it later will post it up, it explained everything quite simply

Kingo :thumbsup:

You cannot inspect the DMF like you could a brake pad

That's what makes it such a lottery at the moment - you don't know you have a problem developing until it manifests in the manner described by those who suffer.

I have no problem with the concept or reasons for fitting but, again, IMHO, there is still a way to go with development.

So, is there a scheduled service interval where the DMF is opened up and checked/replaced or is it simply pot luck depending on usage and driving style? Other wear parts are regularly checked [or should be] eg brakes, steering, suspension etc.

I know how to drive in order to ensure longevity of brakes, gearbox, engine, tyres etc. but how do I [and should I really need to] drive to preserve the DMF?

Does anyone know what actually causes them to fail?

Until DMFs [any make] can be designed and manufactured to operate more consistently and reliably, I for one, still consider them to be flawed. The concept seems fine but the manufacturing/engineering aspect still has a way to go as far as I can see :unsure:

Okay - putting my reliability engineer's hat on here.

Toyota will have data from its own in-house tests and consumer data on when DMF failures occur and the type of failure. They will know the useful life of the DMF and its component parts and will have a high degree of confidence with that value. But they will be daft to release it to the public/ competitors.

The fact that they used to extend the warranty for the DMF to 5 years instead of the standard warranty's 3 years would back this up. They will have a calculation somewhere knowing where the trade-off of extending the warranty and the costs of repairs makes it uneconomical for them.

And the conspiracy theorist in me notes that failures seem to occur just after 5 years... :o

(Don't know how Kia can fund the 7 year warranty - the T&Cs must tie you to Kia servicing and OEM parts which must have a mark up to cover overall claims).

hi folks

i have just got in from work,and though ah...ill check my emails,just in case 'warranty wise' have got back to me about the claim that i have been chasing.

now in my daily job (in a plumbers merchant) i unfortunatly have to chase sales daily (have to hit those targets now dont we :lol::lol::lol::lol: ).

i have to ensure i reply to customers the very same day...without fail,as it goes on a report,yep..yet another bloomin report,oh the joys of working in sales... :(

so turn on my computer ,i wait with baited breath for those eagerly awaited replies....and.....nothing from warranty wise at all. :angry::angry::angry:

and i even sent mr wilson an email personally,so it looks very reputable.....and nothing back.

i personally think this is very very bad service,to not even acknowledge an email is bad enough.

and i have sent 3 emails in the last few days.

BUT i aint giving up......i am more professional than that in my daily life,...i have to be..no choice.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR............ :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: .

must calm down..........and wait a little longer..maybe they are considering before replying

Send a written letter by recorded delivery post with confirmation of acceptance. That usually gets them moving.:)

Snail mail still has its advantages.

hi folks

i have just got in from work,and though ah...ill check my emails,just in case 'warranty wise' have got back to me about the claim that i have been chasing.

now in my daily job (in a plumbers merchant) i unfortunatly have to chase sales daily (have to hit those targets now dont we :lol::lol::lol::lol: ).

i have to ensure i reply to customers the very same day...without fail,as it goes on a report,yep..yet another bloomin report,oh the joys of working in sales... :(

so turn on my computer ,i wait with baited breath for those eagerly awaited replies....and.....nothing from warranty wise at all. :angry::angry::angry:

and i even sent mr wilson an email personally,so it looks very reputable.....and nothing back.

i personally think this is very very bad service,to not even acknowledge an email is bad enough.

BUT i aint giving up......i am more professional than that in my daily life,...i have to be..no choice.

must calm down..........and wait a little longer..maybe they are considering before replying

If you had toyota warranty why did you then stop that and extend warranty with warranty wise. The toyota warranty is actually unbeatable.

hi folks

If you had toyota warranty why did you then stop that and extend warranty with warranty wise. The toyota warranty is actually unbeatable.

hi ya

my rav4 ran out of toyota warranty after the 7 year time frame,so i chose to purchase one from wartranty wise...for those 'just in case' times....like now.

i agree,the toyota version is superb,i did actually claim for a few things..audio unit just stopped & had smoke pluming from it...very dodgy.

and a modified fuel filter head,because of the 'fuel filter phenomenom' where yo hear 'howling' from the engine bay on diesels

but that didnt work though,as it still 'howls'.and it was on a TSB :(

on their extended warranty booklet it says maximum age of vehicle,no older than 7 years or 100'000 miles

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links