Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does The Key Have A Transponder

silverlining

Guys,

I have a lovely Yaris on a W plate (2000) and only one ignition key.

I do not have the key code number (metal tag number) and wanted to get a second key made for the boy.

My existing key has NO buttons to activate central locking or anything else.....its just a key and a black plastic fob with the toyota logo on.

Does anyone know...........does this basic key have a transponder inside the fob...... i have had conflicting answers from the dealer some say yes others no..........anyone know for sure.

Its a difference between £150 and £20 . :eek:

Thanks all

All Yaris keys have transponders built in, if they didn't you wouldn't be able to start the engine.

A transponder needs a power source so if the key has no Battery then it has no transponder. It may have a programmed chip though which can be read by the car - not the same thing.:)

My apologies I stand corrected, I always thought they were one of the same, you live and learn! My confusion lied with that they both need to be programmed in order to work hence not a normal/ordinary key.

yes it does have a transponder, transponders create their own power source through radio frequency, Toyota keys with batterys in them are for the central door locking/ alarm setting transmitter. That is why there are two set up procedures for the tuning of the key to the vehicle. one to tune the transponder, to start the car. the second to tune the transmitter to the central locking ECU/ Alarm ecu if fitted Hope this helps you

yes it does have a transponder, transponders create their own power source through radio frequency, Toyota keys with batterys in them are for the central door locking/ alarm setting transmitter. That is why there are two set up procedures for the tuning of the key to the vehicle. one to tune the transponder, to start the car. the second to tune the transmitter to the central locking ECU/ Alarm ecu if fitted Hope this helps you

Nearly. There is a tranceiver around the ignition barrel. It generates a magnetic field when you turn the ignition to pos II, the transponder in the key sometimes known as the pill contains a tiny coil, the magnetic field field generates a current in the coil of pill which is used to power it so it can transmit the codes to tranceiver via LF radiowaves. After this encrpted exchange the pill and transceiver actually agree the code they will use next time one of billions of possibel combinations.

Nearly. There is a tranceiver around the ignition barrel. It generates a magnetic field when you turn the ignition to pos II, the transponder in the key sometimes known as the pill contains a tiny coil, the magnetic field field generates a current in the coil of pill which is used to power it so it can transmit the codes to tranceiver via LF radiowaves. After this encrpted exchange the pill and transceiver actually agree the code they will use next time one of billions of possibel combinations.

Thank you chaps......sounds like its gona cost me at the dealer. :(

A buttoned key is in the region of 150 smackers so yours SHOULD be a fair bit less. Whilst at it, get yourself a spare plain key, these only open the car, they wont start it but should be quite cheap and if you lock your keys in or something, can be a lifesaver!

BTW, There was a thread on this site, with a guy who re-programmed keys at a better price than MR.T as they try selling you a whole ecu if you lose the lot which turned out to be un-nesccssary.

BTW, There was a thread on this site, with a guy who re-programmed keys at a better price than MR.T as they try selling you a whole ecu if you lose the lot which turned out to be un-nesccssary.

Actually, now you mention it, I've previously seen a thread on here or another Yaris forum that listed the key programming steps so that you coudl do it yourself on the Mk1 models...

Might be worth a search.....

Actually, now you mention it, I've previously seen a thread on here or another Yaris forum that listed the key programming steps so that you coudl do it yourself on the Mk1 models...

Might be worth a search.....

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t23924.html

Here you go. Not sure if this reprogrammes the immobiliser too, but worth a try....

I Programmed my daughters key a couple of months ago, bought a cut key from Toyota I think it was £18. I had already done a search and found the procedure on one of the forums. By the way Toyota wanted to charge me £100 for the pleasure of re-programming the black key.

I hope this helps you.

The (ever smiling) finance manager and salesman at the dealership where I bought my 2008 Yaris insisted that all Yaris keys had transponders, that the keys were really expensive, and that I needed their $250 key protection plan. I opted for it... but did research and determined that it only does if you have the engine immobilizer. I went back and the finance manager still insisted... and said the policy was not cancellable. I went down the street to Wal-Mart and had a new key made for $1.75 and it worked just fine. They even ran the key through their detector to see if it had a transponder. It most definitely didn't.

I confronted the ever-cheerful Ms. Greene again, and she put on a show of being really shocked and thanked me for doing that research. (And exactly how long have you worked here, Ms. Greene?) She reiterated that the plan was not cancellable, but said they'd probably make an exception in this case. Of course... it says on the back of the agreement form that the policy is cancellable at any time and that the refund is pro-rated. She gave me the same story on the tire protection plan that I decided that I really didn't want. And it says the same thing as the key protection plan regarding cancellation.

I suspect that being a slime-ball is an implicit prerequisite for working at a car dealership.

-Steve

That's just scandalous Steve!

And the tyre protection plan was a simple case of spraying black sheen on the tyre wall? :lol:

Strange though, i would have thought all 2008 Yaris models would have transponders? :unsure:

It's simple to check if your Toyota key has the immobilizer chip. Look for a round "dimple" on the key shank--that indicates that the key has the chip installed:

med_gallery_70699_762_18812.jpg

Different standard equipment in different countries.....

Standard US models have 14" wheels, no radio, no remote locking, no transponder, no rear wiper, no split fold rear seat. If you want to upgrade any of these, you have to buy an option...

All UK models get 15" wheels and all of the above as standard.

BUT US models get standard Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control and Remote Tyre Pressure monitoring that are not standard UK models.

Its just down to local market forces and the local Toyota destributor to decide what spec they want on their local market.

All UK Yarises have had a transponder as standard since it was introduced in 1999.

In the US, you need to specify the "Power Package" option to get the immobiliser...

Convenience Package Option -- AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, satellite radio capability and CD text display function, 60/40 split fold-down rear seat (Liftback adds sliding/reclining feature) and 15-in. steel wheels with full wheel covers (Liftback adds rear window wiper)

Power Package Option -- includes Convenience Package plus power door locks and power windows with driver's auto-down, power outside mirrors, engine immobilizer and remote keyless entry system (Sedan adds integrated audio face plate)

Sport Package Option -- includes Power Package plus color-keyed front and rear underbody spoilers, side rocker panels, rear spoiler and unique S Badge, integrated front fog lamps, iPod® interface, Auto Sound Leveling (ASL), driver and front passenger sport seats with sport fabric, and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links