Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crash For Cash Claims

balli hi

Whilst watching Working Lunch on BBC2 today they reported that crash for cash claims are on the increase and that lorry drivers are being targeted more and more by unscrupulous drivers who swerve in front of their chosen victim then slam hard on the brakes in order to get rear ended then put in a claim for personal injury .

Insurers have come up with an answer to the problem in the form of a camera that is placed in the drivers windscreen that records everything including the driving and speed of the vehicle its installed in ,they state that this is the way forward , apparently many lorries are now having these cameras fitted and the working lunch program stated that eventually all cars will have them fitted , i personally welcome this as it will virtually eliminate the need for witness's as everything leading up-to and after an accident is recorded and can prove who was at fault , no information as to cost of having the equipment fitted was given and who would foot the cost , they did state that fraudulent claims push up the cost of car insurance on average by £44 .

Sounds like a rather good idea to me. Some people are just so sad and have obviously never heard of an honest days work.

I don't want to imagine what fitting costs will be if it is done by dealers. If it is an independent company that does it for all cars then it will be fine.

I'd sign up for it. :yes:

I have copied the link for the bbc working lunch program , the report on cash for crash starts just after the ftse 100 report , about two thirds along from the start , its well worth looking at ,click on the link , then click to resume http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rd948/Working_Lunch_12_03_2010/

In car surveillance systems are becoming more popular and less expensive. Some systems not only view the road ahead but also what occurs in the cab. Whilst some drivers see the latter as an invasion of privacy many taxi drivers see it as necessary security device. I personally know of one case were a lone female accused a driver of assualt but the onboard recording was able to prove otherwise. There is also a case where an ownner left his high performance car in for service and after noting the fuel level was lower than expected he was able to replay the onboard recording which showed two mechanics out on a lunch time vist to a burger joint and they were recorded thrashing the car up to speeds of 150 mph. The system can also include a GPS system which logs the journeys as well plus road speeds, etc. My neighbour fits such systems to comtainer trucks which also have a blue tooth camera which can be fitted to the container and keep an eye for potential thieves and those wishing to seek a free ride into the country.

Personally I think it is an excellent idea.

See link below for an example.

http://www.pakatak.co.uk/shop/product.asp?P_ID=456

In car surveillance systems are becoming more popular and less expensive. Some systems not only view the road ahead but also what occurs in the cab. Whilst some drivers see the latter as an invasion of privacy many taxi drivers see it as necessary security device. I personally know of one case were a lone female accused a driver of assualt but the onboard recording was able to prove otherwise. There is also a case where an ownner left his high performance car in for service and after noting the fuel level was lower than expected he was able to replay the onboard recording which showed two mechanics out on a lunch time vist to a burger joint and they were recorded thrashing the car up to speeds of 150 mph. The system can also include a GPS system which logs the journeys as well plus road speeds, etc. My neighbour fits such systems to comtainer trucks which also have a blue tooth camera which can be fitted to the container and keep an eye for potential thieves and those wishing to seek a free ride into the country.

Personally I think it is an excellent idea.

See link below for an example.

http://www.pakatak.co.uk/shop/product.asp?P_ID=456

Hi James , thanks for posting the link , the camera looks identical to the one used in the working lunch video , like you i think its a good thing , according to the working lunch report it won't be long before we all have them fitted in our cars , the fact that the camera records inside the cabin as well as out will certainly lead to a lot of people behaving a lot more responsibly when sat behind the wheel , i,e they'll think twice about eating a sandwich or using a hand held phone , however this device won't be to everyone's liking as there's an element of big brother about it , some might find it a bit too invasive , and i feel it should be left to choice .

They use these in America now... some insurance companies there will only insure the person if the car has one fitted....

See these sometimes on the Police Camera programs on Sky.... See the driver being hit head on is a scary images.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

An alternative to all this surveillance is to get rid of personal injury insurance so there is no pot of money for lawyers and individuals to claim from. It would also lower everyone's insurance premiums as there would be fewer claims and the claims would once again only be for repairing the vehicles and not the mental health of the parties involved.

An alternative to all this surveillance is to get rid of personal injury insurance so there is no pot of money for lawyers and individuals to claim from. It would also lower everyone's insurance premiums as there would be fewer claims and the claims would once again only be for repairing the vehicles and not the mental health of the parties involved.

I agree it would, HOWEVER it is not going to go away! These no win no fee cases were brought in to save the Government money by stopping legal aid. It gives the man in the street access to the legal system, but as time goes by, it seems to me that those who can benefit the most (and you know who you are :angry: ) make hay while the sun shines! :!Removed!:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I agree it would, HOWEVER it is not going to go away! These no win no fee cases were brought in to save the Government money by stopping legal aid. It gives the man in the street access to the legal system, but as time goes by, it seems to me that those who can benefit the most (and you know who you are :angry: ) make hay while the sun shines! :!Removed!:

Kingo :thumbsup:

And Sue, Grabbit & Runn (solicitors ,etc) don't fleece or abuse the Legal Aid system which is paid for by the taxpayer. I speak from experience. In the past it was not uncommon for solicitors to take on claims full well knowing they hadn't a pups chance of suceeding but went ahead anyway knowing they had every chance of recouping their costs from the Legal Aid system. Now you know why the system has been changed.

Under UK Common Law everyone has the right to sue for loss or injury. This well established legal principle has been around for about 1000 years. And without some form of insurance or indemnity many of us could easily be bankrupt or in prison. How we fund such indemnity is always open to question but in the end someone has to finance it.:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links