Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

91 Squealing Issue

Arendee

I'm having a squealing issue. I own a 1991 MR2 2.2L manual, completely stock.

After ignition, the car is silent for about 10 seconds. Then a high pitch squealing starts ramping up and reaches its peak volume after about 10 seconds, then it dissipates. It sounds cyclical. If I rev, it goes away after only a few seconds. I think cold weather makes it worse. Its very loud. Its hurting her!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Have you tried adjusting the alternator belt? This happens to me on startup sometimes, just the belt getting old. And it especially happens if it was sitting in the rain...

I have a Turbo Timer with a Volt gauge on it and I know its the belt because its 12v while its silent and as it squeels i slowly see the number move to 14.5. When it hits 14 the squeeling stops. If while its squeeling and I put gas, the squeeling gets faster but shortens the squeeling time as well...

adjusting the belt is alot easier then changing it... worth a shot.

Not sayin its the belt, i guess there could be more... but this sounds a lot like the issue i had. Hope it helps.

Yes, sounds like alternator belt.. common problem on MR2's.. used to happen after I washed the car. Started to happen more frequently now with the bad weather so will need changing. Squeels when car initially starts because of the extra load on the alternator. Not a real bad problem but the Battery wont be getting as much charge.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links