Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering Leak

Haylands

Hi

Got a 2003 Rav4 petrol auto 5door in the family and it has started to use power steering fluid, uses about a teacup a week, there is no sign of any leak... no oil dropping out the bottom... no evidence of anything wet under the bonnet....

I guess it only leaks when in motion but you would think there would be some sign of it...

I have tried the search engine above but not come up with much...

Anyone come across this.... will it be filling up the rack???

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete

The rack does have fluid running through it but you should see it leaking through the ends of the gaiters at that rate. Also check under the radiator as there is usually a cooler pipe there. On old engine driven pumps they could leak into the crankcase and fill the sump up but your is remote so it should be more obvious.

Its one of the downsides of running a 5 door RAV. Are you sure the oil is not being pumped around the hinges? :blink:

Like many cars, theres shields and stuff below the engine so the fluid could be tracking along anywhere. My Previa loses engine oil but I never see a drop as it hits the manifold and burns off giving me the smell of an age gone by (the landrover which is still in a garage)

Hi

Got a 2003 Rav4 petrol auto 5door in the family and it has started to use power steering fluid, uses about a teacup a week, there is no sign of any leak... no oil dropping out the bottom... no evidence of anything wet under the bonnet....

I guess it only leaks when in motion but you would think there would be some sign of it...

I have tried the search engine above but not come up with much...

Anyone come across this.... will it be filling up the rack???

Thanks

Pete

hello

nothing happens casualty -- in case you experienced level degreasing - it means somewhere this liquid volume has increased or leaked/drained.

but you have not disclosed any leaks -- looks very strange, in fact. by the way - may be i am mistaken (i am sure i am)-- but whether hydraulic steering system has own cooler (heat exchanger) ??? Cheers/Igor

Thanks guys, I will have a good poke around, it belongs to my Mother, she has had to fill it every week or so and can't see any leak... I'm off to see her next week so I will have a good look around, just wondered if it was a known problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links