Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Newer Rav?

Mike JD

So delighted am I with my short experience with the XT3 that was bought as an experiment to see whether 4x4ing was for me, that I am thinking about a rapid change to a newer one. There are two absolute requirements however that on the face of it might make staying with RAVs difficult. Any replacement must be diesel with a flywheel not prone to failure in under 100k miles. Secondly, I live in the country and I work in the country. Narrow lanes with potholes. rock filled hedges and the detritus of hedge trimming are the usual daily fare. In addition there are a couple of long treks down the length of the French motorway system every year. No proper spare tyre, an aerosol instead and ridiculously expensive runflats with dubious availability might be fine for the school run but are not an option under any circumstances.

So it looks like a new or current model RAV is out. I do see 4.3s with proper tyres and a spare wheel out there so what model/years should I be looking out for before I go with some sadness to the Suzuki and Kia dealers in Exeter instead.

Cheers

Mike D

hi matey

I am new the the Rav and have just bought a 06 T180 which so far I LOVE :thumbsup: . the issue with the run flat tyres bothers me but my plan is to replace these tyres with normal ones when they are worn. (see thred below) And pop a spare wheel in the boot. Other than that I cant fault the car. Look forward to driving it every day. I looked at the lower spec Ravs but Cruise Control is a must for me which is one reason I went for the T180. I think the newer models XT5 have CC though??? Anyway the pros outwayed the con of the run flats for me.. I also followed everyones advice on here and went with my heart, not my head :unsure:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51249&hl=runflat tyres&st=220

all best

Shaun

So it looks like a new or current model RAV is out. I do see 4.3s with proper tyres and a spare wheel out there so what model/years should I be looking out for before I go with some sadness to the Suzuki and Kia dealers in Exeter instead.

Cheers

Mike D

If you are going to the Toyota Dealers as well, try Marsh Honiton. Got my car from Marsh Barton, but found the people at Honiton very helpful and friendly, especially when it came to servicing.

One vehicle that looks like good value to me is the Hyundai Tuscan - similar size to RAV4.2 and good spec at a cheap price.

One vehicle that looks like good value to me is the Hyundai Tuscan - similar size to RAV4.2 and good spec at a cheap price.

[/quote

Agreed, a chap in work bought one. At first I was winding him up about it but having seen the standard spec, and the price

he paid, I think he should be winding me up about my Rav :eek:

[/quote

Agreed, a chap in work bought one. At first I was winding him up about it but having seen the standard spec, and the price

he paid, I think he should be winding me up about my Rav :eek:

Thanks Dave and Hoovie

As it happens I have been looking at the spec of the Tucson and have booked a test drive tomorrow afternoon in a Kia Sportage. If I keep quiet afterwards you will know I thinks its good and therefore :offtopic:

If it is garbage I will let you all sleep better by saying so. Why the KIA - point 1 price and 2500 off list, point 2 there in black and white in the specs: full size spare wheel. When will those goons listen? Such a shame as the RAV really is a very nice drive. Hard ride? Yes but it sticks to the road like chewing gum to the bedpost. I have a couple of prolapsed discs and the driving seat is like a quality armchair.

Out of curiosity, if I bought one of the later ones with cartwheels for a price that permitted changing to proper tyres as I have seen talked about here, what would that actually do to guaranties and residuals? I know it out to improve the latter. I followed the link to the 2006 discussion re cartwheels and noticed summat interesting. Quite a few of those who didn't like the idea of no spare no hope and nowt left in the wallet don't seem to appear here these days. Now Mr T, do you think they might be on other owners club forums now? Harrumph :oops:

[/quote

he paid, I think he should be winding me up about my Rav  :eek:

Thanks Dave and Hoovie

As it happens I have been looking at the spec of the Tucson and have booked a test drive tomorrow afternoon in a Kia Sportage. If I keep quiet afterwards you will know I thinks its good and therefore  :offtopic:

If it is garbage I will let you all sleep better by saying so. Why the KIA - point 1 price and 2500 off list, point 2 there in black and white in the specs: full size spare wheel. When will those goons listen? Such a shame as the RAV really is a very nice drive. Hard ride? Yes but it sticks to the road like chewing gum to the bedpost. I have a couple of prolapsed discs and the driving seat is like a quality armchair.

Out of curiosity, if I bought one of the later ones with cartwheels for a price that permitted changing to proper tyres as I have seen talked about here, what would that actually do to guaranties and residuals? I know it out to improve the latter. I followed the link to the 2006 discussion re cartwheels and noticed summat interesting. Quite a few of those who didn't like the idea of no spare no hope and nowt left in the wallet don't seem to appear here these days. Now Mr T, do you think they might be on other owners club forums now? Harrumph  :oops:

Let us know what you think please :)  

Not driven either as didn't like look of Tuscan when I was shopping for car (and ended up with RAV) but they have grown on me. Tried to have a go in Sportage but found the Kia Dealer more then useless and impossible to drive either new or used (and a warning for you .. this was the Kia Dealer at Marsh Barton!  )

You trying the new Sportage or outgoing one?

So delighted am I with my short experience with the XT3 that was bought as an experiment to see whether 4x4ing was for me, that I am thinking about a rapid change to a newer one. There are two absolute requirements however that on the face of it might make staying with RAVs difficult. Any replacement must be diesel with a flywheel not prone to failure in under 100k miles. Secondly, I live in the country and I work in the country. Narrow lanes with potholes. rock filled hedges and the detritus of hedge trimming are the usual daily fare. In addition there are a couple of long treks down the length of the French motorway system every year. No proper spare tyre, an aerosol instead and ridiculously expensive runflats with dubious availability might be fine for the school run but are not an option under any circumstances.

Cheers

Mike D

If you are happy with your Rav experience then a 4.3 XT4/5 2007/2008 should tick all your boxes..full size spare/leather/climate/sunroof etc..the 4.3s have not had any flywheel issues though i doubt anyone has done 100k as yet :unsure: I woud imagine a KIA/Hyundai would depreciate quicker than a RAV..but the 7year warranty from KIA is certainly a bonus..Anchs has just sold a pristine xt4 so they are out there and a good one should be had for £13000 to £16000 depending on spec, the added bonus is you will still be able to share in the wealth of knowledge + banter on this Forum, but the decision is yours + good luck whatever you decide.. :thumbsup: Stew

If you are happy with your Rav experience then a 4.3 XT4/5 2007/2008 should tick all your boxes..full size spare/leather/climate/sunroof etc..the 4.3s have not had any flywheel issues though i doubt anyone has done 100k as yet :unsure: I woud imagine a KIA/Hyundai would depreciate quicker than a RAV..but the 7year warranty from KIA is certainly a bonus..Anchs has just sold a pristine xt4 so they are out there and a good one should be had for £13000 to £16000 depending on spec, the added bonus is you will still be able to share in the wealth of knowledge + banter on this Forum, but the decision is yours + good luck whatever you decide.. :thumbsup: Stew

Now that is just the info I was seeking, chap. Many thanks

I did test drive a KIA Sportage this afternoon. Wow. Pure nostalgia. I remember when all diesels were like that. Harsh. Noisy. Sluggish. Steered like a bus with flat tyres. I won't be going back.

Mike D

I did test drive a KIA Sportage this afternoon. Wow. Pure nostalgia. I remember when all diesels were like that. Harsh. Noisy. Sluggish. Steered like a bus with flat tyres. I won't be going back.

Mike D

I've test driven 3 new Kia Sorentos in the past few days. Very good - you won't find a bad review. But each time I try one (trying to convince myself) the more I know they are waaay overpriced. And no discounting on them. It's a bl**dy Kia! And no satnav, hands free or reversing camera. Not even as options. Hyundai Santa Fe is the same car - 5k cheaper but ugly.

So I'm at a loss as to how to replace my T180. Now thinking of the Toyota extended warranty, Kingo's chip kit and fitting a reversing camera.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links