Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lpg Conversion

XTR 55

Hi! Has anybody done one of these on the rav. With the price of petrol rocketing was considering this as an alternative. Looking for feedback either for or against the idea!

Bothy knows a lot about these conversions. If you can get an engine to run on something he has tried it. He is probably doing his yoga but will look in soon.

Hi! Has anybody done one of these on the rav. With the price of petrol rocketing was considering this as an alternative. Looking for feedback either for or against the idea!

I looked into this when I first got my RAV4 and the conclusions I came to is that it is possible, but you need to add additives every 1,000 miles or something due to soft valve seats or something like that.  I decided against as concluded that if something went wrong, the amount of fuel cost saved would be small compared to cost of repairs as the conversion could give a getout clause for warranty purposes (and nowhere very sensible to put the LPG tank either - as they typically fit a doughnut shaped one to replace the spare wheel)

I have seen LPG RAVs for sale, so people obviously do get it done.

Let us know what you do :)

Thanks Anchs and Hoovie for replies. Did wonder where the tank would be fitted and pricing for conversion appears to be around the £1200 mark.

Toyota specifically EXCLUDE LPG conversions from warranty (if you were in warranty of course)

Kingo :thumbsup:

I,ve been told that LPG runs dryer than petrol, and this over time can harm the engine? Not sure exactly how, maybe it has less lubricating properties that perol.

hi i have lpg on my rav4 2 liter 3sfe engine

it does burn dry but thats why i have a flash lube kit to stop valve seat ressesion 1 liter of flash lube lasts 1000 liters of gas

also a local gas place does a swipe card system for discounted lpg currently about 50p a liter

hi i have lpg on my rav4 2 liter 3sfe engine

it does burn dry but thats why i have a flash lube kit to stop valve seat ressesion 1 liter of flash lube lasts 1000 liters of gas

also a local gas place does a swipe card system for discounted lpg currently about 50p a liter

I think (don't know for sure) that the VVT-i engine is less suitable for conversion then the RAV4.1 petrol engine?

MrBilly, where is your LPG tank fitted?  I know one company I looked into (when I first got my RAV4) had an option to replace the existing fuel tank with a 2-chamber kind of thing to avoid taking up boot space for 4x4 type vehicles where there is no room under car for extra tank or no internal spare wheel to remove (or for people who do not want to lose the wheel, of course!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links