Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bend Over And Take It

Raistlin

Petrol prices will reach record levels this year, according to research by the AA.

The organisation has warned unleaded fuel could soon cost £1.20 a litre or more and urged Chancellor Alistair Darling to delay the introduction of a planned 3p increase in petrol duty due to come in on April 1.

AA President Edmund King said: "The UK is barely out of recession yet petrol prices threaten to rise to record prices seen during the boom of 2008 - shortly before the collapse into recession."

He added: "If families, drivers on fixed incomes and those on low pay were unable to cope with record prices then, they are even less likely now."

AA research found an average family with two cars is paying £52 a month more to fill up now than a year ago.

The average petrol price in the UK is 115.9p for a litre of unleaded and 116.6p for a litre of diesel, according to www.petrolprices.com.

Even if the 3p increase is withdrawn, the price paid by drivers could soon hit 120p a litre - £5.41 a gallon - according to the organisation.

This would overtake the previous high of 119.7p of July 2008.

The AA said the price increases were caused by the rise in the price of wholesale gasoline since the end of January.

Lindsay Hoyle, the senior Labour MP on the Commons business select committee, said it was "a complete disgrace". He told the Daily Telegraph: "Yes, crude oil has gone up this year, but nothing like the rise in petrol prices.

Motorists are being legally mugged at the forecourt by petrol companies."

No doubt there will be a spate of "Protest Petitions" for people to join.........and they really do work..........NOT!!!

How many Fuel petitions have there been every time prices go up? and what good did they do?

As fuel prices increase anyone on a lower income will spend their money on the fuel the car needs to run. However they will have nothing left to spend on road tax, insurance, MOT's and servicing. So it is more likely that there will be more uninsured drivers on the road in poorly maintained vehicles.

I could'nt believe it when i saw these prices :lol:

gas_funny_01_l-1.jpg

On a more serious note i think the topic title is correct in that we in this country always do just that , we simply shrug our shoulders and take it , at the time of the blockades the government did take notice and they did not go ahead at the time with further planned increases if my memory serves me correct , what we need now is not pointless petitions for people to sign but real action in the form of protest , the government put legislation and contingency plans into place shortly after the oil depot blockades were over to prevent any further disturbance to the distribution of petrol in the future , however if people were to take their cars on mass to parliament and once there just switch off their engines the centre of London would be brought to a standstill nothing would be able to get in or out , however if the law prevents the streets around parliament to be blockaded then nearby surrounding streets would have the same effect , a few years ago we had lorry drivers drive down to London on mass , but i'm not sure their protest had much of an effect as they were forced to park up on park lane where they were contained , however the government would have no such luck if the general public were to do the same in their thousands , any such protest i'm sure would be heavily supported by the London cab trade with around 26,000 cabs in London , the government need to be made to listen and listen well , they have been increasing fuel duty by around 4p per litre year on year and now they have gone even further with the next planned increase on the 1st of April with a 3p per litre rise with i am sure another 3p rise planned for September , they have been pulling our ( the motorists ) pants down for far too long , its not just the increase in fuel duty either , how many people know about the showroom tax planned for the beginning of April , and which is the latest in a long line of half-baked ill thought-out government ideas that is allegedly meant to encourage people to buy less polluting cars , of course the reality, as we all know, is that it’s just another ‘stealth’ tax to try and fill the black hole that is this county's economy .

The so called showroom tax is a once only additional charge added to the road tax of new vehicles that fall above certain CO2 levels, and yes it includes new cabs Both the TX4 at 233 g/km and the Vito at 229g/km fall into the government’s band K and are therefore both liable to an extra £550 on the first year’s road tax.If you do the maths it means that its going to cost £975 just to put on the road , and that’s on top of the VAT plus every other tax that we already pay. :ffs: :censor: i for one have had enough .

I think that you are right about having a mass engine switch-off. We do take it and very rarely do we fight back in any effective way.

And that thing about road tax is just BS... ¬¬

Pretty well the same situation over here :censor:

I agree with what's been said, totally.

Power to the People :ph34r::driving::2guns:

Pretty well the same situation over here :censor:

Power to the People :ph34r::driving::2guns:

Isn't that an Oral-B advert?.. :P

Pretty well the same situation over here censored.gif

Power to the People ph34r.gifdriving.gif2guns.gif

Isn't that an Oral-B advert?.. tongue.gif

You watch way too much tube eek.gif

When the Authorities fail to listen to what we are telling them and our cries fall on deaf ears , a drive in usually sorts it , the chaos we caused on 5th feb 2009 had Tfl and westminster council scuttling to get round the negotiating table they listened and took action on what our representatives had to say , when previously they had no time for us ,the protest was attended by around 8,000 black cabs the reasons for the London Licensed Taxi Driver protest are explained within the video ,it had nothing to do with fuel prices , but my point for posting this is that we as a collective can achieve a great deal and i don't just mean various trade organisations i'm taliking about the general public as a whole . It just go's to show that action speaks louder than words , if we are to make the government listen to our concerns regarding fuel duty on petrol , a mass drive in from the general public would certainly be a step in the right direction , and it would i am sure have the necessary effect in getting the government to review their policy .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links