Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can Anybody Help Please?

suvgirl

Hi

I've just joined and would appreciate any advice from you guys. The Radio in my Rav is not working (in fact nothing works Sat Nav, Blue Tooth, Zilch). I've only had the car a week, the problem with the radio happened at the dealer where I collected the car, (Battery was disconnected, screen came out on a tilt) I was told the unit needed re-setting.

The screen displays the following message "A programme cannot be read. Please refer to dealer". Toyota have advised the Tilt is stuck and the unit should be replaced, which will be very expensive.

Has anyone had this happen to them or does anyone know of anywhere that could repair this? The car is on an 06 plate and is out of Toyota Warranty any help would be much appreciated.

Can you check that there is a DVD in the DVD slot? Press the DVD eject button and see if anything pops out.

When the Battery is first connected/reconnected to the XT5/T180 sat navs, it boots initially from the DVD (a bit like a PC booting).

This is the kind of message you get when there is no DVD in the drive. Did the dealer supply you with a map DVD in the sat nav, when they sold you the car?

Can you check that there is a DVD in the DVD slot? Press the DVD eject button and see if anything pops out.

When the battery is first connected/reconnected to the XT5/T180 sat navs, it boots initially from the DVD (a bit like a PC booting).

This is the kind of message you get when there is no DVD in the drive. Did the dealer supply you with a map DVD in the sat nav, when they sold you the car?

Hi Thanks for replying

I have the DVD but did not get as far as inserting it in the system, this may sound a bit stupid I know, but when the screen popped out at the dealers the day I collected the car I was told it probably needed re-setting, I did not touch the system until I took it into the Toyota dealer, I have to assume they inserted or tried to insert the disc as part of their investigation, however after looking at it for me and advising the tilt was stuck, they had also put the screen back flush with the panel. I have to admit I am loathe to touch the system myself because Toyota have advised it will cost £3K plus to replace it and the people I brought it from do not want to pay for it and are looking to effect a repair but cannot source anyone who could do it. It may come to returning the car and I really dont want to do that as it's everything I wanted and I would be extremely lucky to get exactly the same spec as this one has.

If needed you could try to source a system from eBay (last resort) it certainly wont cost £3k but will probably be a couple of hundred pounds and £50 or so to have an audio electrican to fit it

Well, I used to have an XT5 and have done a fair bit of playing around with the sat nav.

I certainly got this message when I've reconnected the Battery with the DVD out.

What should happen when the Battery gets reconnected with the DVD in, is you will see a yellow "progress bar" on the screen as the unit does it's initialisation (boot) from the DVD.

The unit will just not work without that initial boot.

Welcome to TOC by the way. :).

If you bought the car from a dealer surely you have a warranty or statatury rights regarding faults within a certain timeframe?

Hi Matt

I wish! the Warranty does not cover this type of fault, not to the tune of thousands anyway, have started looking into my rights too, but trying to come to an amicable solution, might be a bit difficult due to where (or who) I bought the car from. Do not want to divulge at this time. It's a long story

Just need any help/advice I can get I really want to keep my RAV :(

I have to admit, SWMBO and I haven't had a need to disconnect the Battery on our xt5 and our radio works fine however we still havent worked out how to use the SatNav or the bluetooth :crybaby:

They are fantastic cars, unfortunatly you have bought yours at the wrong time, nevermind, I bet you can't wait for the winter to try it out in the snow and ice, they are awesome cars

Well, I used to have an XT5 and have done a fair bit of playing around with the sat nav.

I certainly got this message when I've reconnected the battery with the DVD out.

What should happen when the battery gets reconnected with the DVD in, is you will see a yellow "progress bar" on the screen as the unit does it's initialisation (boot) from the DVD.

Thank you.

I guess I might as well be brave and have a go, I guess I cant make it any worse!

I certainly got this message when I've reconnected the battery with the DVD out.

What should happen when the battery gets reconnected with the DVD in, is you will see a yellow "progress bar" on the screen as the unit does it's initialisation (boot) from the DVD.

I was kinda hoping SHCM would answer your query, cos he is really clever with such things :thumbsup: If all else fails this LINK Could be a possible solution it can be purchased here for under £300 not £3k, however this is not a reccomendation as i know nothing about it, but it reads well + may provide a solution, hope this helps + welcome to the club :thumbsup: Stew

I have to admit, SWMBO and I haven't had a need to disconnect the battery on our xt5 and our radio works fine however we still havent worked out how to use the SatNav or the bluetooth :crybaby:

They are fantastic cars, unfortunatly you have bought yours at the wrong time, nevermind, I bet you can't wait for the winter to try it out in the snow and ice, they are awesome cars

I know they are I px'd a 12 yr old GX for the XT5, that would have gone on forever, guess who was the only one in my street who kept going in the recent spell of bad weather??? :laughing:

If I unplug the Battery from the car, will I lose all my settings in my sat nav system? ie stored locations/setting etc.

Will it all revert to default?

Is there anyway of backing up all this data?

Is the sat nav unit coded in anyway, as I dont think I have the code for it.

shcm What can I say! You are a top man! I did as you said this morning (bit scared, I've never had a car with sat nav before!!!) started the engine pressed open on the unit, out came the screen at the proper angle put in the disc and Yahoooooo I've got a working unit (just got to figure out the bluetooth now - Matt@theforce when I've got it I'll let you know) Thank you so much and to everyone else who offered their advice I am one very happy XT5 owner who can now relax and enjoy the experience of driving it.

If I unplug the battery from the car, will I lose all my settings in my sat nav system? ie stored locations/setting etc.

Will it all revert to default?

Is there anyway of backing up all this data?

Is the sat nav unit coded in anyway, as I dont think I have the code for it.

I can only comment on the 4.3 system and I guess yours is a 4.2 one, but they tend to work in roughly the same way.

You loose some settings but others are kept. For example, I've lost radio settings on bat disconnection but I *think* the sat nav memory points are kept. Can't remember exactly what is kept and what is not.

How can I explain this? :g: It is almost as though the unit is built from several "modular" circuit designs which have been bolted together, without looking at where there is commonality and therefore possibly reducing cost. e.g. radio and sat nav bits seem separate. So some stuff is kept in non-volatile memory and other stuff is not. It probably speeds up development time that way though.

Generally, you don't need a code.

shcm What can I say! You are a top man!

:blush: Would you like to tell that to my "pointy haired" boss??? :D.

Didn't think there was much wrong. Glad it is sorted. :thumbsup: Enjoy the vehicle. Doesn't say much for that Toyota dealer's expertise in their own satnavs does it?

Cheers

shcm   What can I say!  You are a top man!

Didn't think there was much wrong. Glad it is sorted. :thumbsup: Enjoy the vehicle. Doesn't say much for that Toyota dealer's expertise in their own satnavs does it?

Cheers

nothing to do with the topic, but I thought your boss was a cheese-eating inventor??  or are you really wearing a banana-shaped tie?

:P

nothing to do with the topic,

That's never stop us before :rolleyes:

but I thought your boss was a cheese-eating inventor?? or are you really wearing a banana-shaped tie?

I've no doubt that Scott Adams has a talent for producing comic strips that can be compared, in general, to the behaviour in most organisations. However, I tell you, more often than not, it's unnaturally like he's eavesdropping and making notes on everything that is said :yes: Hence my banana-shaped tie. Maybe it's just a glitch in the matrix. ;).

Right, where did I put me copy of "Electronics for Dogs". :).... and that piece of Wensleydale?

:) :clap:

shcm   What can I say!  You are a top man!

Cheers

nothing to do with the topic, but I thought your boss was a cheese-eating inventor??  or are you really wearing a banana-shaped tie?

:P

anytime :) As for Toyota - :angry: clearly did not see/try the disc I told them was on the seat or may have seen it as a chance to make a quick buck? :mad2: who knows or cares as long as there are guys like you around who needs them?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links