Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Hello! Petrol Or Diesel?

dubkopfeyellow

Hey guys, investigating the possibility if getting a Rav4, the mk2 shape I guess. (or a freelander or oddly an audi a4 avant)

My question is, what are the petrol's like, I've limited my search to diesel's to begin with (as the current car is a diesel) but I'm wondering just how much difference there is with a petrol

What is the MPG like and what are they like to live with day to day, the car will be used for local running about, and the odd cross country trip (mostly on business, so the mileage will be recouped)

The petrol's do seem cheaper and more plentiful than diesels

Ideally I want a dark coloured 5 door as new as possible for no more than 6/7k less if possible under 70k also

I'll need to tow a (very) small caravan, the wife's dad has the newer shape model in a diesel and it's smashing, he gets high 40's mpg

Any advice, I'd be most grateful

Both petrol and diesel are great cars - neither will disappoint (DMFs on diesels excluded...)

Some petrols for sale:

Toyota Rav 4 2.0 XT3 5dr Jan 2004 48k miles £6590

Toyota Rav 4 2.0 XT3 5dr Jun 2004 37k miles £7500

This could reopen an ancient can of worms.!!!!!!!!

For myself, after studying the differance in prices,I decided against buying an oiler.

This was mainly due to me now doing a very much reduced annual milage.

Economywise, I thought it would take me years to save that differance on fuel.

In the meantime I could spend the ££s on other things.

Just my personal opinion and in no way would I suggest this should affect your decision.

AS the old saying goes, you pays your money and takes your choice!

You cannot go wrong by choosing any RAV though.

Good hunting

crofter

I think a lot depends on your mileage.

for 10k or less and local running about I'd go for petrol.

According to the dash, I get 28mpg from my auto, but I suspect it's quite a bit less.

MPG is not one of the petrol's strong points, but as already said, they are noticeably cheaper to buy and not much goes wrong with them.

What is the MPG like and what are they like to live with day to day, the car will be used for local running about, and the odd cross country trip (mostly on business, so the mileage will be recouped)

G'd Evening matey,

My '53 4.2 2.0 petrol is very smooth and - for a 4x4 - quiet. Real armchair comfort driving. I drive hilly dual carriageways and the dire Dartmoor lanes and get 33mpg brim full tank to brim full tank. The trip computer is wonderfully optimistic still insisting that I am getting over 40mpg so I would treat any such reading with suspicion!

Mike D

I have the 2nd generation with the diesel, and must say it's quite noisy. However, the engine is very powerful with lots of torque, so if you're planning on towing a caravan or a big trailer, then it's a very good choice. If you plan on using it as a highway cruiser, then I'd say the petrol is a good choice.

I have no experience in the RAV petrol range, but i own a corolla with the VVT-I 1.6 engine, and it is very quiet. I need quite some revs to get the power, but the engine is smooth at high revs. I tend to prefer the corolla when cruising to work, but I use the RAV when going on longer trips (or when the road is covered with snow or ice).

Oh thanks for your replies guys

Popped along to see a 3 door diesel last night at a local mitsubishi dealer oddly enough, and decided the 3 door is definetly not for me, far too small around the back, as nice as they look they're just not practical enough

So the search is on for a 5 door, may include petrol's in my search too now

Thanks

For the first 20 years of motoring I had petrol. The last 4 cars have all been deisel and I must say I prefer it. I get about 400 miles on a full tank with my T180. (thats gone up by 60 or so since cleaning the EGR valve) Its quiet when cruising but a bit rattly when getting up the rev range, Smooth and powerful though.

Hey guys, investigating the possibility if getting a Rav4, the mk2 shape I guess. (or a freelander or oddly an audi a4 avant)

My question is, what are the petrol's like, I've limited my search to diesel's to begin with (as the current car is a diesel) but I'm wondering just how much difference there is with a petrol

The petrol's do seem cheaper and more plentiful than diesels

Ideally I want a dark coloured 5 door as new as possible for no more than 6/7k less if possible under 70k also

I'll need to tow a (very) small caravan, the wife's dad has the newer shape model in a diesel and it's smashing, he gets high 40's mpg

Any advice, I'd be most grateful

MPG on Petrol I find pretty poor to be honest.  My trips tend to be either local or a straight 450 Mile journeys.  I find I have to stop for fuel at least twice when I do one of those, which gets painful as it tends to have to be Motorway prices  :ffs:

You say "(mostly on business, so the mileage will be recouped)" - is this on a pence/mile type rate or you just stick a reciept in and gets paid?  I claim back a pence/mile rate on my business journeys and it never covers the cost of the fuel - I would have to drive at a constant 50 MPH and never higher on the M-ways for it to cover my cost.

Last comment on the towing - the RAV4s will have no problems towing a caravan, but you may want to search on the forum about Towbars - there are different options and plus and negative points about each option (the standard Towbar stops you opening the Rear door, for example).

End of the day, I think if I were buying again, I would be thinking about going diesel, but then would have the worrys about the DMF and also a cambelt change required at 60k intervals (Petrols don't need any cambelts replacing ever as they have a chain instead), which could swing it the other way  :huh:

Hmmm :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links