Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dead Speedo

agriff53

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum and I wonder if anyone out there can help. I've got a 2001 1.0l Yaris (French built), it's done 128k miles and still runs beautifully. However, driving home yesterday the instrument display died on me (no speedo, odo or fuel gauge). All other instrument cluster functions work fine (tell tales light up on ignition on) engine temperature icon, headlight icon etc. all work correctly. I have checked the fuses and all are okay (plus nothing else has stopped working). I've notice the lights on warning buzzer no longer works and when I took the instrument cluster out I saw a round black mark in the top left hand side of the LCD itself. I've come to the conclusion that the cluster itself is faulty and fortunately I can get a working second hand one fairly cheaply (gotta love eBay!) Where I was hoping for some guidance was if anyone out there knows where the vehicle mileage is stored - I'm guessing it's stored on the instrument cluster module itself and if I put the second hand one on my car it will read the other vehicles mileage. Has anyone out there changed a display cluster before do you know what I have to do electrically (if anything) to make sure the mileage reads correctly? Will the car still start with a different cluster (is the immobilisation software stored there)? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Firstly only buy a cluster from a French built car..there may be differences with a Japan built one.. Take no risks would be my advice.. but there may be no differences as the same supplier may produce for both.

I understand all data is stored in ECU so you should see it when a new cluster is installed .

In addition, if you get more miles then you have coverd, there are mileage correction places that advertise in car mags, etc who can re-set it.

This is the perpose of the service, not to 'correct' mileage to read a lot lower than the actual car has done. I would discourage this activity as an unsuspecting buyer may get a duff car. I would always add my mileage to the reg document, when I sell my car!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links