Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 Yaris Petrol Question

ItalianStig

Hey guys, havent been on in a while and new layout takes getting use to lol but its nice

ok question i have, is in my yaris on the digital display its showing up as 1 petrol bar, and its flashing appox how much miles in left in the tank at this point?

cheers guy

Hey guys, havent been on in a while and new layout takes getting use to lol but its nice

ok question i have, is in my yaris on the digital display its showing up as 1 petrol bar, and its flashing appox how much miles in left in the tank at this point?

cheers guy

7 litres.

7 litres.

Reece is right - in theory its about 7 litres at the point it starts flashing, but the problem is that you can't then tell after that...

So if I get in my wife's car and its already flashing, I have absolutely no idea how much is left....

Also - every car is slightly different. In theory its about 7 litres, but to be sure, its best, just once, to fill up as it starts flashing and see how much fuel you can put in.

The tank holds 45 litres, so if it takes 38 to fill it, you know for sure you have 7 litres left in your car when it starts flashing... If it takes more or less, at least you will know for next time....

7 litres.

Reece is right - in theory its about 7 litres at the point it starts flashing, but the problem is that you can't then tell after that...

So if I get in my wife's car and its already flashing, I have absolutely no idea how much is left....

Also - every car is slightly different. In theory its about 7 litres, but to be sure, its best, just once, to fill up as it starts flashing and see how much fuel you can put in.

The tank holds 45 litres, so if it takes 38 to fill it, you know for sure you have 7 litres left in your car when it starts flashing... If it takes more or less, at least you will know for next time....

Good point! My wife allways leaves the fuel gauge low, then when i ask her how long the 1 bar has been flashing, she replies "Oh i don't know, i never look at it!!" :ffs:

Then it's up to me to go fill it up! :rolleyes:

I would say about 7litres aswell, so quite a range left really. :D

cheers guys, sorry for late reply been busy at uni, so roughlty how much miles is would 7 liters get me at 30mph 4th gear?

cheers guys, sorry for late reply been busy at uni, so roughlty how much miles is would 7 liters get me at 30mph 4th gear?

As a guess i would say about 7-10 miles per litre, so times that by 7(litres) and you will get roughly 49-70 miles range.

That's just a rough estimate and could be totally wrong btw! :lol:

To be on the safe side I always fill up when I get to 2 bars, or if I see somewhere selling petrol cheap.

someone mentioned a while back that they were stranded near Coventry after letting their Yaris run out of petrol.

I personally, wouldn't try going more than 30 miles with one bar showing... If it conks out, you will have drained all the deposits from the bottom of the tank, into your fuel filter or worse, the injection system.... Not good!

on a diesel, it would need re-priming too, which although not as much a pain as old lorries, still needs a few mins turning the engine over after filling which may well flatten an old Battery too!!!

I wouldn't be worried about deposits on the bottom of the tank, because if there are any, those would be sucked up even when the tank is full.

The intake point doesn't change with the fuel level.

The danger with running the tank dry may be, that the lift pump in the tank will run dry and may over-heat because of the lack of cooling.

The other inconvenience is, that the car may conk out unexpectedly, in the middle of nowhere, specially when doing a lot of uphill and downhill driving.

My wife runs her Yaris dry occasionally, because she pays no attention to any indicator on the panel.

I gave her a jerrycan for her birthday once and she uses it a lot. :)

Thanks guys sorry for the late reply been having lots of uni work, so would you say its safe to say I will get at least 25miles with 1 flashing light?

• 4 weeks later...

I've not been on the forums for ages either! Mostly due to moving out of home but also because the new interface looked pretty daunting and difficult to use. Am getting used to it now and it seems pretty cool.

Thermal- your wife pays no attention to any indicator on the instrument panel? Does that include speed, indicators and other VERY IMPORTANT instruments that you should keep checking? Does she look in her rear view mirror, side mirrors and check her blind spots regularly? I find drivers who don't do things like that quite alarming and a danger to other road users.

Back to the topic in hand, I tend to fill up whenever the single bar on the pertol gauge starts flashing. I've heard that all sorts could happen if you leave it until the last minute or as some people do, leave it until the engine conks out and you're stuck on a main road and look like a tit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links