Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Buying A Rav4

peterat8

Hi to all

I am new to the forums and the reason I have joined is to get some advice from members.

We presently have a 06 Honda Accord Tourer i-CTDi. We are looking at getting a vehicle with higher seats to help my wife get in and out as she has a back problem. We have narrowed it down to the Rav4 and the Honda CR-V.

We have driven the Rav4 demonstrator at the local garage and were quite impressed. However, we have a few concerns that members may be able to answer.

We were only offered a choice of 3 colours for the rav4. Silver, grey and black. None of which is a first choice, we liked the tidal blue. The dealer could or would not say why there were only 3 choices. We know there is a face lift coming out later this year but will it be worth the wait?

The second concern we have is over this DMF issue. It seems to be quite a problem and as we would want to keep the car for more than the 3 year warranty period we have worries about expensive repairs. Is it a common thing and should we be concerned?

Also there seems to be electrical faults as I have read some posts about cars just stopping.

We want to use the car for towing as well, so are concerned over these last 2 issues.

Hopefully, someone can put our minds at rest as the dealer is offering a very good (cracking in their terms) deal.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Peter

Hi Peter + welcome, I've just written you a very long reply, hit a wrong button somewhere + its vanished in to the stratosphere :( So to briefly summarise, despite the recent adverse press the Rav has won numerous awards including the most reliable car in the world :yes: I am on my third + have never even had a lightbulb fail :yes: The DMF issue only affected early Mk2 diesels + the later 2006> have had no problems :toast: I don't understand the choice of colors, our esteemed Guru "Anchorman" has just taken delivery of a 2010 xtr in tidal blue :drool: Cars just stopping :unsure: The current recall would suggest that they aren't stopping :lol::lol: Seriously, A great car, and a very friendly owners club as well..Its your choice, but would you want to drive around in a CRV (Council Refuse Van) Good luck whatever you choose.. :thumbsup: Stew

Hi Stew

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting about the tidal blue XTR.

At the dealers there was nothing on the screen except silver, black and grey.

Glad the dmf issue doesn't affect the 2010 model.

It has cleared up a lot of the negatives.

The dealer is knocking over 2K off which seems a good offer.

Thanks again

Peter

Hi Stew

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again

Peter

Hi Peter, If you click on the link below it will bring up the 8 colours that the new rav is available in clickin on the buttons below the pic will change the car to that colour starting with decuma grey, your dealer may have only had 3 colours in stock, The four pinned topics at the start of the RAV section under DMF will tell you all you need to know about them, but as i say they are no longer a problem, Toyota acknowledged the prob + extended the warranty on DMFs to 5yrs or 60000mls, Ravs are not known for electrical, or any other faults to the best of my knowledge + dealers are usually very good at sorting any problems out, Hope this helps :thumbsup: Stew

LINK

Hi Peter, welcome to the club :thumbsup:

As Stew has already said, the latest shape RAV has had very few problems. The 177bhp D-CAT engine has caused the most problems (probably why it's no longer available!)

This years face lift has been brought forward and I'm led to believe that you can order the car from next month. As a result, the only cars currently available are those already built. Hence the limited choice of colours.

You can wait for then newer model and receive a worse deal, or have one sooner and save money! :D

The 177bhp D-CAT engine has caused the most problems

Eh? How so?

I recently was at the dealers and when I asked about the Tidal Blue he said he would have to check if it was still available as a number of the colour were being phased out. Black Silver and Grey were the only ones he was sure he could get. He said the colours being phased out would be replaced in the summer. Personally I think it is because of the facelift model but he would not even admit there was one. At the moment I am waiting as there was only limited discount on offer and more than one broker said it is down to shortage of supply. When the new model is out in the open I am sure there will be deals on the run out model(if you are happy with Silver Black or Grey that is

Hi Stew

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again

Peter

Hi Peter, If you click on the link below it will bring up the 8 colours that the new rav is available in clickin on the buttons below the pic will change the car to that colour starting with decuma grey, your dealer may have only had 3 colours in stock, The four pinned topics at the start of the RAV section under DMF will tell you all you need to know about them, but as i say they are no longer a problem, Toyota acknowledged the prob + extended the warranty on DMFs to 5yrs or 60000mls, Ravs are not known for electrical, or any other faults to the best of my knowledge + dealers are usually very good at sorting any problems out, Hope this helps :thumbsup: Stew

LINK

Aye, dealers except RMB TOYOTA AT TEESIDE lol

Hi there

Many thanks for all the replies.

Going to have another look tomorrow then make the decision.

Like the look of the Rav4 in astral black rather than the grey or silver.

Once again, your comments have been appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the club.

I also think it is down to the facelift. As the others have said you might be able to get a good deal and don't forget to look at carquake as it can locate a dealer that will offer you a fleet car discount of around 2k at nominated dealers.

You should also look at the second hand cars on the Toyota website as you can often fing pre registered ones with delivery mileage.

I have a new one in Tidal and I am delighted with it. There is a thread somewhere with some photos. Until I had this car I thought the CRV was a serious contender to the RAV but this new RAV is better engineered and the performance and economy is exceptional.

Happy hunting

The 177bhp D-CAT engine has caused the most problems

Eh? How so?

Yes please tell me as well - my T180 engine is great, uses only a drop of oil..

Guy

Hi again

Just to let you all know that we have today ordered a Rav4 2.2D4D AWD in Astral Black ( not our prefered tidal blue but the next best thing).

Looking forward to getting it soon.

Thanks to everyone who replied and settled our concerns.

Will be a 'pain' on the forums in the next few weeks as I learn the car!!!

Thanks.

Peter

Don't worry you can ask as much as you like and you are in for a treat. It does help if you are slightly mad with a very obscure sense of humour as far as understanding us goes - the car will be a doddle!

Viv M and Marsky

The 177 engine is fundamentaly the same as the 136 and 150 but there were issues with the 5th injector and with the D-CAT systems which have been resolved through various mods. Duncs is right in that of the variants available the 177 did cause the most problems. Before this causes any misunderstandings, let me assure you that if it hasn't caused a problem by now it probably isn't going to. Oil consumption mods have cured later models and the use of good quality fuel reduces the risk of EGR problems.

For many it wasn't these engine issues but the RFTs that soured an otherwise superb vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all again

Just to let you all know that the new Rav has landed at the dealers and we should have it on Monday!!!!!

Can't wait....

Thanks for all the help.

Peter

Hi there

Many thanks for all the replies.

Going to have another look tomorrow then make the decision.

Like the look of the Rav4 in astral black rather than the grey or silver.

Once again, your comments have been appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

Peter

do not offend a grey rav owners here :D

welcome aboard mate.

cheers/Igor

Hi Igor

No offence meant.

The last 2 cars have been grey so we wanted a change. Before that silver.

Never had a black one before so fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Peter

hi peterat8

just a quick one......enjoy your new rav4,you will love it :thumbsup:

although mines just had a new flywheel,(2001) model,i wouldnt change it for the world..as someone else has said,mine hasnt even blown a bulb..in 41/2 years / 60'000 miles...its covered 88'000 now in total.

dosent use any oil,water.....nothing..just uses diesel :P

and its great..... :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links