Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing With An A Frame Steering Lock Issue

hadders

Hi Just brought a IQ3 today which I wanted to tow behind my motorhome, I'm having a A frame fitted which enables the vehicle to be hitched onto the tow bar with an attachement which operates the breaks, lights etc. Does any one know how the steering lock can be prevented from being activated as obviously there is no key to leave in the ignition and the lock is electronic on these as opposed to the usual mechnical versions used with ignition keys. I have been told by the A frame company that this can be done either by removing a fuse or wiring mod but my dealer wouldn't consider any mods. Can any one help with this?

Many thanks

Looking through my manual, it says:

-Vehicles with smart entry and smart system

Do not tow with the "ENGINE START STOP" switch OFF

So you need to press the ENGINE START STOP button without pressing the clutch down, it should turn orange and the dash lights will come on, this should prevent the steering lock activating.

I can take a picture of the pages and upload them if you want to see the full details of towing

• 1 month later...

Thinking of towing an IQ BUT on a trailer.

If its Toad (slang for being towed AS a trailer, rather than on a trailer) and the steering lock is deactivated, I assume the Battery will be flattened, Would there be any damage either to the Battery or the steering lock, if the Battery voltage falls ?

Rgds

I don't believe its good for the ignition system to be active without the engine running for a long time like a few hours towing. coil will be getting cooked as not being discharged.

Would be better to just get the steering lock removed. Might need an external steering lock for insurance.

Hi

Thanks for your replies...

I know leaving the ignition on does de-activate the steering lock but would run the Battery down and this isnt a good idea for many reasons. The steering lock is controlled via the 'brain' of the car and when you press the stop button and open the door you can hear the motor activate the lock. Often if you open the door before stopping the engine you get an alarm which informs you that the lock isn't activated - shutting the door then sets it in place.

Basically I have had to 'mod' the steering lock to enable me to tow the vehicle on all 4 wheels using an A frame. Any disconnection or wiring changes effect the 'brain' and the vehicle won't start, someone mentioned pulling the fuse on the steering as this stops the vehicle from starting (good antitheft) and doesn't power the lock. Initially I thought this would be the answer maybe even wiring from the fuse to a remote switch but I wasn't aware if the lock could engage under vibration or similar. So what I did is to remove the lock unit - which is quite difficult due to the shear bolt used for security reasons and dismantle it actually taking out the lock plunger but leaving the spring and sensor in place. Purchased a new shear bolt and re-installed the unit as it has to be connected for the brain to allow the vehicle to run. Been a few weeks now since I did this and no problems so far so off to get the A frame installed.

Andy :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Hi, The solution is as you mentioned in your note as other options mean that the switch will power on after 1 hour as per the manual . Remove/bypass fuse No 14 (20a) in the L/H side fuse box, WHEN the lock is powered off. The lock is a "shot bolt style" power on/power off. If you by-pass the fuse to a hidden switch in the driver compartment is means you have your steering lock when you need it.

Not sure they will see your post Sue-C as the last post was 4 yrs ago

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links