Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accelerator Judder

Notebook

Hi all

I mentioned this over a year ago and am asking again if anyone experiences this -

When maintaining speed or feathering as some call it, the car suddenly judders as if I had removed my foot off the accelerator and then dapped it back on harshly for a split second.

I have noticed the same occurs on cruise control when going over the top of a brow of an incline - the car will judder for a split second.

The reason for me mentioning this is having just watched the toyota story - total recall on the bbc and the problems with uncontrolled acceleration.

I will also be contacting toyota again regards this matter as it was dismissed when initially raised with my local dealer.

Hi Notebook

I can not help with the specific RAV problem but in our diesel Honda we used to get that at around 40mph.

Feed up and it went, slow down and it went.

Eventually found out (via the Accord forums) that it was most likely to be due to an air bubble in the fuel filter. The mechanic had not properly bled the system (it was a pain to do) after changing it and a little bubble bobbled around the feed pipe resticting the fuel flow on light throttle. It was fine on acceleration. It seemed quite a lot of owners had suffered this.

I know it does not cure your problem, but just a thought.

Thanks.

Peter

Hi Notebook

I can not help with the specific RAV problem but in our diesel Honda we used to get that at around 40mph.

Feed up and it went, slow down and it went.

Eventually found out (via the Accord forums) that it was most likely to be due to an air bubble in the fuel filter. The mechanic had not properly bled the system (it was a pain to do) after changing it and a little bubble bobbled around the feed pipe resticting the fuel flow on light throttle. It was fine on acceleration. It seemed quite a lot of owners had suffered this.

I know it does not cure your problem, but just a thought.

Thanks.

Peter

Thanks

Any more?

Mine does exactly the same. I called it hiccuping - momentary falter, then a little boost, all in half a second. It's especially noticeable on very smooth roads (such as they have in the Netherlands) where it hiccups every few minutes when under very light load. I've had new injectors, MAF sensor, fuel pump, filters - no difference.

It's really annoying but in the end I decided I had no choice but to live with it. I did however take out the extended warranty recently because I am now getting a rumble from the rear end and have had trouble with warped discs and faulty injectors as well.

Sorry I can be of no help, but at least now you know you're not the only one!

Hi all

I mentioned this over a year ago and am asking again if anyone experiences this -

When maintaining speed or feathering as some call it, the car suddenly judders as if I had removed my foot off the accelerator and then dapped it back on harshly for a split second.

I have noticed the same occurs on cruise control when going over the top of a brow of an incline - the car will judder for a split second.

I will also be contacting toyota again regards this matter as it was dismissed when initially raised with my local dealer.

I get a mild version of that too so you are not alone, a tendency to shuttle particularly when the engine is cold just as you describe: as though I was dabbing the accelerator. I will be watching with interest to see if you get any cohesive sense out of Mr T.

Talking of Mr T, as I posted recently it is time to upgrade the RAV so went to Mr T in Exeter:

"I want to upgrade to a 4.3 with a diesel engine and a spare wheel"

"There isn't one with a 4.3 litre engine sir.................They don't do one with a spare wheel"

"I know so what about a second hand one?"

"Oh...............................Yes..................."

Bless him - it was his last day and I was not surprised.

Mike D :!Removed!:

from a very wet, very muddy, very potholed Dartmoor where I am only too pleased to have a good 4x4

I experienced something very similar when my EGR was sticking. Once it was cleaned it seemed to rectify the problem.

I experienced something very similar when my EGR was sticking. Once it was cleaned it seemed to rectify the problem.

Forgive my higgorance but EGR please? Wossat?

Mike D

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. They can stick on 4.3s especially if you run on supermarket diesel but there are instructions on how to clean them somewhere (maybe I will pin them if I can find it).

In some cases TGB have accepted an extended warranty and replaced them with a modified valve.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. They can stick on 4.3s especially if you run on supermarket diesel but there are instructions on how to clean them somewhere (maybe I will pin them if I can find it).

In some cases TGB have accepted an extended warranty and replaced them with a modified valve.

Ta, Ancs. We live and learn

Mike D

Good thought, Mr Anchorman, but my EGR has been cleaned and cleaned and cleaned again but guess what... no improvement. Does anything else spring to your ever-knowledgeable mind? Someone suggested the SCV - what do you think? It's not a desperate but definitely an annoying ailment and I'd like to get it fixed. A (very small) box of chocolates will go in the post to the supplier of the correct diagnosis.

Good thought, Mr Anchorman, but my EGR has been cleaned and cleaned and cleaned again but guess what... no improvement. Does anything else spring to your ever-knowledgeable mind? Someone suggested the SCV - what do you think? It's not a desperate but definitely an annoying ailment and I'd like to get it fixed. A (very small) box of chocolates will go in the post to the supplier of the correct diagnosis.

VSV 4.3.pdf

Just whip this valve off and squirt a bit of WD40 in both holes and give it a good shake about to make sure the shuttle is free.

• 2 weeks later...
Just whip this valve off and squirt a bit of WD40 in both holes and give it a good shake about to make sure the shuttle is free.

This comes a bit late in the day, anchorman (moving house - again!) but wanted to say thanks for the advice all the same. I'm going to try it this weekend and have high hopes!

Mine does exactly the same. I called it hiccuping - momentary falter, then a little boost, all in half a second. It's especially noticeable on very smooth roads (such as they have in the Netherlands) where it hiccups every few minutes when under very light load. I've had new injectors, MAF sensor, fuel pump, filters - no difference.

It's really annoying but in the end I decided I had no choice but to live with it. I did however take out the extended warranty recently because I am now getting a rumble from the rear end and have had trouble with warped discs and faulty injectors as well.

NMaria hello

I ve been experienced it on my first diesel powered car -- yes my daily duties were to escape and air from diesel suction system.

quote:

I've had new injectors, MAF sensor, fuel pump, filters - no difference ----> when you list all of these -- what exactly has been done but not general words ???

The most probably you have a pipe lines as rusted under the car/and the air is definitely sucted from rusted spots and accumulated in the either filter or in the pump giving you some air pockets and delivery pressure failure. Besides - the air might be sucted thru the filter upper lid - that was also experienced by me -- i ve changed a filter housing as whole on new and forgot this head ache. The works performing surgeon accuracy is the most important thing to deal with diesels.

The only remedy is to have a diesel system pressure test to locate these minor spots of an air suction especially on the diesel recirculation lines under the car. I only conside both dirt inside the injection system and air suction. Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links